18055 North St Vrain Drive, Lyons, CO, 80540

Travel Tips for Lyons

Lyons Roars

by GeneralTsao

"Unintended Destination"

Lyons is a little town of perhaps 2000 persons which lies along the well-traveled path to Rocky Mountain National Park.

I would not have stopped there (like most travelers, I suspect) except that I caught a glimpse of a sign which read: "Classic Pinball: Come in and Play".

Now, being that I LOVE pinball, and it's very difficult to find a machine these days (let alone one where both flippers work properly), I made a quick stop in Lyons.

Well, as it turns out, Lyons Pinball didn't open til 3:00 so I had 45 minutes to kill.

Across the street, I noticed a 1920s soda fountain, and being the nostalgic type (have you figured that out yet?) I went over there for a late lunch.

"A Cherry-Vanilla Coke in hand"

I found the proprietor of the soda shop making sandwiches (specifically, Hungry Lyons) and asked him about the history of his place and if I may take photos.

He was very accommodating in all aspects.

I ordered two Hungry Lyons and a Cherry-Vanilla Coke, the latter of which was prepared by one of his Certified Soda Jerks.

After an hour split between talking, reading the store's scrapbook, and taking photos, I walked over to the Pinball shop.

Kevin Carroll and his wife, Carol, opened Lyons Pinball two years ago, as an extension of their love for pinball, and a means to share their personal pinball machines collections with the public.

Both Kevin and Carol are highly knowledgable about pinball. Between them, they know the scoring strategies of most of their games, and also the years of manufacture and the number of a specific machine were made.

Most remarkable about Lyons Pinball, however, is that every machine is fully functional, and very well maintained and/or restored.

Kevin told me that he wanted their pinball shop to be "a museum that you could play."

Comments