MorningSong B&B

Beginning of Alpine Loop TrailBeginning of Alpine Loop Trail

Travel Tips for Ouray

Marmot trapped in Outhouse

by GrumpynAM

The mountains are so awesome!! We've visited Yankee Boy Basin twice and look forward to many more trips in the future. I can think of few other places in the world that I would rather be. One of my favorite memories occurred on our first trip here. My son went to use the outhouse and ran out to tell us there was a marmot trapped in there. My husband and I checked it out and sure enough the poor little guy was hiding behind the toilet. We opened the door and waited for him to find his way out, he was so glad to be set free. It looks like he's posing for this photograph, but actually he ran out of there so fast, my husband was lucky to get this picture before he disappeared.

Cool road

by GrumpynAM

This photograph shows a huge rock hanging over the road that you drive under. It's a long ways to the bottom of the cliff. I personally cannot handle being in the vehicle at this point and always end up walking this section of the road. Since I'm "chicken" I end up walking most of the way down this road, it's exhilerating and you can really view the scenery around you without having to worry about falling off the road.

Remote Mine

by GrumpynAM

This photograph is a close up of a mine that you can see across the valley. I cannot imagine how difficult it was to build and maintain this mine back in the old days. The next photograph shows the mountain this mine is on.

Ouray Ice Park

by goingsolo

Manmade park which caters to ice climbers all over the world. In January, the park hosts the Ouray Ice Festival, with ice climbing competitions for climbers of all levels Ouray Ice and Tower Guides provides climbing lessons and equipment.
www.towerguides.com

Happy Trails....to you!!!!

by KiKitC

""Jeeping Capital of the World""

The group running the rally listed descriptions of some of the trails that they were running for the 2007 National Land Rover Rally, and we were able to pick and choose which trails we wanted to run. We had just spent a lot of money on pieces to protect the truck from rocks, but steered away from some of the trails that are listed as "vehicle body damage probable." We also steered away from any of them that discussed "not for those afraid of heights" or the one (Black Bear Pass) where every summer at least one vehicle falls off the cliff, with fatal results. No...not for me.

Ouray is the most popular destination for any off-road enthusiasts (Jeeping used broadly here for all 4wd drive vehicles). The official Jeep Jamboree is held here every fall, so to enjoy the beautiful fall scenery.

Outside Ouray, the Alpine Loop offers off-road entusiasts (4WD, ATV, unlicensed motorcycles) a trip into the heavens! The Alpine Loop is a series of trails climbing up the steep cliffs, through valleys and past waterfalls...

Those that have read my past tips know I AM afraid of heights, and after the "cliff incident" in Hawaii two years ago, I'm also somewhat afraid now of cliffs. I managed to get a lot of good pictures...beautiful in fact, and I will be sharing them as I go through them. But the GREAT shots? No...I was probably to busy holding on and praying then taking pictures....

"History of Ouray"

For centuries, the Tabeguache Ute hunted the abundant forest game and soaked in what they called “sacred miracle waters”. Even they knew the therapeutic benefits of the hot springs under Ouray. The original name of the town was “Uncompahgre”, the Ute word for “hot water springs”. In 1873, Chief Ouray ceded these ancestral lands to the US Government, and the town's named was changed to Ouray in his honor.

It was the miners, searching the laden hills for silver and gold that made Ouray a booming minig town. Many of the high-country trails we road on were actually routes that the miners developed over a hundred years ago. The century-old ghost towns of Sneffels, Red Mountain Town, Animas Forks, and Mineral Point, as well as abandoned mines along the way, are undeniable evidence of this area’s roots.

More info to come...I am building many pages right now, as I am sorting through thousands of pictures. Thank goodness for digital cameras!

""Switzerland of America""

Ouray is surrounded on three sides by mountain peaks cresting at 13,000 feet. It's been a travel destination for over 100 years!

You will drive into a Victorian style, old mining town, preserved in it's age and glory!

Comments