Mountainside Inn Telluride

Telluride - Mountain VillageTelluride - Mountain Village

Questions about Telluride

by beatchfre

Hi guys,

I live in Santa Fe, NM and my parents will be visiting me from Scotland in a few weeks. I'd like to take them on a wee road trip up to Colorado - the places that I'm looking at are Aspen, Telluride, and Ouray. I've been to Denver, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Durango so I'm kinda familiar with the roads... and the amount of deer/elk that I can expect to run in front of me :-)

My old man really wants to go to Aspen - I think he's watched too many movies and expects to bump into Hollywood's A-list. None of us ski! Well, I can ski, but I can't stop. We're not looking for fancy museums or art galleries - just nice pictureseque towns, with some local shops, decent bars with live music, not too expensive*. What would be your order of preference for our trip...

TRIP 1: Drive from Santa Fe->Silverton->Ouray->Telluride->Santa Fe (2 or 3 nights).
TRIP 2: Drive from Santa Fe to Aspen (2/3 nights).

If TRIP is the preference would you recommend spending both nights in Telluride, both nights in Ouray, or one in each?

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)

Cheers,
Lee

* by expensive, I mean I don't want to spend more that $200 on a hotel room and $50 a head for a meal.

Re: Questions about Telluride

by brewjohnson

In addition to the celebrities and art museum's, Aspen definitely is a beatiful place. However, the drive between Ouray and Silverton alone is worth taking Trip 1, in my opinion. In terms of where to stay, I think you'd have more options for dining, bars, etc., in Telluride, so you may want to spend both nights there if that is important to you. I personally would do a night in Ouray. Its setting is special and watching the sunlight fade or increase over the towering peaks at dusk/dawn is a great way to start and/or end the day. Combine the light fading into the night with a soak in the hot springs and you and your parents will be happy!

Re: Questions about Telluride

by LinColorado

Definitely the Telluride option - a lot more scenery and less crowds. As far as celebs you're probably just as likely to run into them in Telluride as in Aspen if that is a priority. Aspen runs haven't opened yet. They visit Aspen to ski but a few live in Telluride.

Travel Tips for Telluride

Don't overlook the weather.

by Martinewezel

In Summer, Telluride can be extremely hot during the day, but it cools down at night.
We were there in July and had rain every day for about 30 minutes, very often a thunderstorm.
Very refreshing, but consider the danger during a hike into the mountains.

Comments