4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

715 W Lionshead Circle, Vail, Colorado, 81657, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Marriott.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Marriott Vail Mountain Resort & Spa

Vail Marriott... GREAT place to visit.

by TripAdvisor Member grram1

Customer service was tremendeous! The room was gorgeous and very comfortable... the bathroom was amazing (had spa quality soaps and shampoos, lush off-white towels, 3 bath robes, beautiful tile work and some nice indirect lighting). Had a large balcony with a view of the mountains and gondola. They have 2 nice pool and hot tub areas (one in-door and one out-door). Parking was reasonable at $8 for self parking (had a $14 valet option). The only negatives were minor and not significant enough for me to ding the hotel's rating (hotel is large and the lay-out can be a little confusing, & the room was a little on the small side). Would love to stay here again.

Marriott is always good

by TripAdvisor Member Kelster

Marriott is always good especially their beds which ranks up there with Westin. This Vail Marriott Mountain Resort and Spa is nice but I almost wish we would have done a non chain----vail hotel. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. But they are small. I would think it would be hard for a family of 4 to stay in the winter with all the clothes, etc.... The bellmen are some of the best I've seen -friendly and helpful. The outdoor pool is nice for Vail and had live music (one man) during our visit. Meals are expensive in Vail. Luckily there was just 2 of us. We ate dinner in town at an average Italian place---$50. Breakfast for 2 at the Marriott was $40. It's better to walk a few blacks to the french deli for breakfast anyway. Take the gondola on Friday nights---free after 4:00 p.m. A band, and good burgers at the top----just on Friday evenings. The Red Roof Inn is a fun place on weekends. Phil Long always gets the audience singing. The Club which is under the Red Roof is fun for those who like watching drunks dancing to pop and country music. A weekend at the Marriott in Vail is good but it can get pricey. Paid over $200 during the off-season. If it cost $150 I would have felt a little better. But it's good for Vail and much cheaper then Aspen. There is lots of construction in Vail, but the rooms in the Marriott are nicely soundproof.

Superb Customer Service was a trip highlight

by TripAdvisor Member DoubleTTraveler

We stayed at the Vail Marriott for 3 nights in August 2006. The customer service at this hotel is great!! We had problems with our original room and were moved up to a suite. The front desk folks were very nice and knowledgeable. The valets and maids were also very nice and willing to serve.

If you book a regular room, expect it to be VERY small. It is worth an upgrade to be comfortable. The bathroom facilities were good, beds comfortable, and the hotel has AC (a big plus). Free internet is available in the business center.

The pools and workout facility were in good shape. The local bus stop that takes you around Vail village stops in front of the hotel. If you want to self-park it is not that far to walk and it costs $8 per day. The hotel restaurant is just ok, but it is convenient. There is a wonderful breakfast place in Lionshead where you sit around a bar and are served that way. Don't miss it!!!

Vail is located right on I-70, so it is not a secluded mountain hideaway. The weather was a little bit hot since it is a lower elevation than say Telluride. Make sure you pack shorts for summer. A light jacket is fine for evening if you tend to get chilly. Besides shopping and mountain biking, summer activities are limited. You can travel over to Beaver Creek and down the road to Edwards for additional choices.

We would gladly stay at the Vail Marriott again.

Very disappointing, even at Priceline prices

by TripAdvisor Member msld

My husband and I stayed one night at the Vail Marriott for a weekend getaway, and even at Priceline prices (we paid $90 for one room) it was disappointing - I've found Holiday Inn much nicer.

We were booked into a double queen room and asked for a king room, which we received, although without being told that it had no balcony and was right next to the elevators. The king bed was comfortable, although the fitted sheet was coming off the bed by morning, and the choice of coverings -- a sheet or a thick down comforter -- kept me partially awake through the beginning of the night, feeling too hot or too cold as the air conditioning circulated on every minute or so to maintain a constant room temperature. By morning, because the air conditioning had run so solidly (and apparently without humidification), we both had bloody noses from the dryness - and we are from Denver, so we're used to dry air!

However, we had other problems sleeping, too. At 2 a.m. the fire alarm went off, blasting an announcement: "This is not an emergency. Please go back to sleep or resume your business," followed by several piercing shrieks (of course, we HAD been asleep until the alarm went off). Then, after it took me another hour to get back to sleep, we were awakened just before 9 a.m. with housekeeping banging on our door.

The hotel Web site advertises jetted tubs and fireplaces, along with a photo that bears no resemblance to the room we had. The room was very small (comparable to a New York City hotel room). When we showered in the glass shower, water poured out between the door and the shower wall and flooded the floor. The bathroom looks nice, but it had only one hook, with not enough room to hang a robe and a cosmetic bag. There is no towel bar near the sink, so you must either lay your towel by the sink or drag wet hands/face across the bathroom. We ran out of tissues from our nearly empty box, with no extras on hand. The bathrobes and bathmat both had tattered areas with unraveled edges hanging down.

In the hall, dirty dishes left over from room service sat abandoned by several rooms from the time we arrived (5 p.m.) until we came in for the night at around 10:30.

The teenage/young adult staff was indifferent. When we asked the concierge about a restaurant nearby, he told us about a special the restaurant was not actually having (2 for 1 tapas). We asked if we could walk to the restaurant, and he said "it's kinda walkable, I guess." (We did walk, and it was 15 minutes away along the river.) My husband mentioned that the restaurant had said the hotel could shuttle us, or pick us up, and the concierge said, "Yeah, I guess you could do that," but didn't offer us a number to call or any other information.

We did not have a chance to try the hot tubs or pools on Sunday as we were too exhausted from lack of sleep to use the fitness room or swim, as we had planned.

When I called the guest service number on Sunday to complain about our stay, we first reached someone who couldn't understand my English. The second person did give us free parking and our local phone call free and offered us free breakfast.

The breakfast was all right, although the wait staff in the restaurant were at times literally running between tables, they were so overworked. It took a second request to get the bacon that we'd asked to be added to one breakfast, and when it arrived it was burned and strangely salty -- almost briny -- so that we didn't want it anyway.

Overall, an extremely disappointing experience. Perhaps we were treated less well because of our Priceline purchase (I've never used Priceline before, so I'm not sure), but I won't be going to this or any other Marriott again if I can help it.

Beautiful resort, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member NYfromSoCal

My wife and I stayed at the resort for our anniversary June 22 - 25th 2006 and had a fabulous time. All the staff we encountered, from the valets to the front desk to the bar and food service personnel were extremely friendly and helpful. The staff is from all over; some local, some from Brazil, Bangladesh, etc.. and all had smiles that greeted us daily. The concierge had arranged our rafting trip and made restaurant reservations for dinner one evening. Overall, our stay was very, very pleasant.

Others have written negative comments which I have to say, in my very humble opnion, are blown out of proportion. There is indeed construction of a new resort right next door (which will continue for another year) and new condos behind the resort that appear very close to being complete. In defense of the Marriott, they can do nothing about that and in fact, construction is going on EVERYWHERE in the valley. We even took a drive down to Breckenridge and encountered much of the same. If the sight or noise of construction ruins your experience, you need to find another destination, not just another hotel.

As for our room, a King Studio Suite, it was very tastefuly appointed. The room had a granite countered kitchenette and a beautiful stone fireplace. The balcony windows and sliding door did a great job of blocking 99% of the construction noise. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was absolutely beautiful. The initial bedding is appointed with a sheet and heavy comforter which can leave you either too cold or too hot. You'll also find a chenile throw on the bed and a lightweight blanket in the dresser drawer, either of which was perfect in lieu of the comforter. The air in Colorado is very dry and our room came with a humidifier tucked away in the closet that helped out.

All in all, I can't say anything negative about our experience with the hotel. All the things within the Marriott's control were very pleasant for us and the things that were outside of the hotel's control were very tolerable.

Wonderful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LKR

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference. I thought the room rate was very reasonable for being off-peak (about $150/night). You have to consider that this is a Marriott hotel in a resort town, so that price works for me.

Anyway, I thought the hotel was marvelous. I had a great view, the pillows & bed were like sleeping on clouds, the bathrooms were fabulous and the front desk was very helpful. The hotel restaurant had great food, although the waitresses were not very friendly.

The only bad thing during my trip was the weather (it rained the whole time), but that was hardly the hotel's fault.

Overall, great hotel and a great stay.

Extremely disappointed!

by TripAdvisor Member sweetproo98

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort over Labor Day weekend, which was a week ago. I was waiting to see if I was going to receive a comment card but never did electronically or in person upon check out. We made our reservations in May for a wedding block being held at this hotel. 4 months ago I encountered some frustration in trying to reach your concierge on duty and thought it was just a fluke, but upon arriving to the hotel realized quite the opposite. My family and I flew into the Denver airport so we had a 2 hour drive to your hotel. Upon arriving to the hotel at around midnight with my family of 7 ,we were extremely hungry. We asked the front desk if there was any room service or delivery available ,he said no but there was a pizza place in town we could go to. He directed us to take the free bus system that would take us to and from the hotel. It was about 1am at this time and we asked if we still had time to even make it there and back. He assured us yes it wouldn't be a problem...Well we experienced quite the opposite...the pizza place he directed us to was in fact closed and by the time we made it into the town to realize the pizza place was closed, we in turn missed the last bus back to the hotel. Apparently the last time it leaves town is 140am. So we had to walk the entire way back...at now 2am in the morning.
We awoke the next day and enjoyed your breakfast buffet which was spectacular...unfortunately I didn't realize a meal would be the highlight of our trip! Since it was our first time in the town of Vail and even in the state of Colorado, we wanted to go out and enjoy the sights and the town. After breakfast I went to the Front Desk and explained that we had a flight out at 1120am the following day and we wanted to go out and enjoy the time and asked if I brought my confirmation numbers down if they could please check us in so we didn't have to waste 2 hours waiting. Their response was no, but the concierge would. So we walked the 2 feet to the concierge desk, where she was busy checking her email and waited about 5 minutes before she even acknowledged us. After she realized we were standing there her warm welcome was "Yes?!"(Not even a hi or how are you!) I then tried to explain my situation again and before I could finish she cut me off and pointed out the business center was available for those requests. I explained to her that I was aware there was a business center, but I did not want to have to waste the time waiting to print out our passes. Her response to me was, "well my printer is broken so I can't help you. You will just have to come back and do it yourself!" Now, I work in the hospitality industry and I am in fact a concierge myself and I was completely appalled by her response. Especially in a major resort atmosphere! So, I called back to my hotel in Maryland to check us in, apparently it wasn't too much to ask for my hotel which is thousands of miles away to display simple customer service even to a fellow associate!
After that fiasco we went to our room to get ready for the day. Before leaving to see the town and sights I wanted to hook up to the Internet and purchase the business package which allowed me access to the Internet. I discovered my Internet was not working and called the Front Desk and asked that someone come up and take a look while we were out. I also asked the engineer please leave a note or something displaying whether or not it was working. About 2 hours later we returned to the hotel and there was no note or anything displaying my problem was resolved. My boyfriend realized the Internet cable looked like it had been replaced(I believe it was a different color) so we assumed the problem was fixed. By this time we had about an hour to kill before we needed to get ready for the wedding and my Internet still wasn't working...I again called the front desk and the gentlemen tried to call an engineer and was told the engineer didn't know how to fix the problem and that we would have to call the Internet provider but he couldn't guarantee the problem would be fixed. After playing with the cord in the wall and in my computer I was able to get through,however at this point I had wasted so much time trying to get the Internet to work, I had no time left to do any of my personal work! I called and asked the charge be removed since I was not able the time to work. I was again told no, that now that I had connected and agreed to the charge it could not be reversed. So again frustrated, I just let it go and began getting ready for our evening. Also with in this hour I ordered room service and placed the tray in the hallway...the tray sat there the entire night and was still there when we departed the next morning!
Upon departure, we tried to check out on the tv and were confused about the separate charges that were being displayed. Although we thought checking out on the TV was going to be quick and easy, upon reaching the front desk we realized that they had split our bill into 2 separate bills. With out asking us or even letting us know they were doing that. There were 2 names on the reservation because my boyfriend was checking in before me and I wanted him to be able to do so without any hassle. When I made the reservation, I also asked them to please ask for another credit card upon check in and of course that didn't happen either. In fact, they didn't ask for another form of payment at all upon check in. So now at 645 in the morning we are trying to check out quickly and efficiently and with our bill being split it was just confusing and frustrating. On top of that, the agent did not have any paper to print our folio on, so we had to wait while he went to find some and load in. Again, we asked if our bill could just being combined to make one bill, and we of course were told NO!
To say the least our stay at your hotel was less than enjoyable. What was supposed to be a happy and exciting time, although short it turned out to be a nightmare because of the hotel! As I stated before, I work in the hospitality industry and can be completely understanding that things can sometimes go wrong...but when things go wrong you expect at least and apology or an effort to make it right! Not one person asked how our stay was and not one person apologized for any of the time consuming inconveniences we experienced and I have never been told NO so many times in a 48 hour period! Clearly customer service is not important at this resort and this being my first time staying with Marriott hotels, I wonder if this is how you all operate?! I am completely disappointed and if I have the choice to stay at a Marriott property, I will probably opt otherwise!

Bad Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member PhineasFogg1899

When we arrived all they asked was, give me your credit card.
The hotel was almost empty but they still gave us a room next
to a construction site. This hotel will not take care of you.
Brian Hunt the director of the hotel will gladly steal your money
with no effort what so ever to make your stay comfortble or a happy one. All this hotel is intressed in, is stealing your money
and give you ZERO service in return. Avoid this hotel and go else where. The pictures you see on their web site is false. It's located toghter with all other hotels on the street. Sorry this is not an Alpine castle by itself, it's just a nightmare in Vail.

Delightful Mountain Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Lovetheroad

Beautiful property; many rooms have spectacular views. Spotless rooms, elegant beds and down bedding, cozy fireplaces, well-appointed luxury bathrooms. Great room service. It has become a destination resort for me annually. Highly recommend it.

Comments