20 Vail Rd, Vail, Colorado, 81657, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com LHW.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• KelseyQ's Profile Photo

Vails Finest? Think again.

The room was a lot smaller than we had expected. REALLY SMALL for the price.
    It was also very noisey (church bells near construction site)

To CLARIFY: the church bells were almost a welcome relief to the constant construction happening.......
    I have nothing against church bells.
    (this comment directed at the nut who told me if I didn't church bells to STAY OUT OF THE STATES!)

To continue......
    The service was consistantly slow or non-existant and our complaints went aswered.
    Room sevice was overpriced and flavorless.

I asked that the room be cleaned at a certain time every day which the staff couldn't seem to grasp.
    (if you can't do it DON'T offer to do it!)

The only redeeming qualities were the lovely breakfast buffet and the ever so helpful Bellman that were always onhand.
    They would always give me a ride to a nearby restaurant or to the slopes in the morning.

Unique Quality: The spa experience:

The treatment rooms were really cold.
    (not nice in a mountain resort) they were noisy and there seem to be a lack of privacy and comfort.
    Some kid even walked in during my treatment looking for his mother (...by kid I
    mean teenager!)
    I found towels in the ladies changing room with blood on them .
    My robe was taken away with my jewelry in the pocket while I was in the sauna.
    There was no water near the sauna.
    The list goes on.......

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Sonnenalp

The Sonnenalp is a luxury hotel at the edge of Vail village. I took advantage of the off season rates to book a stay here.

Unique Quality: The suites are fantastic, especially with the heated marble floors in the bathrooms. The food is great (breakfast was free) and the hotel staff are all very helpful.

• GroovyDoc's Profile Photo

If you can afford it, stay here!

Listed in 2002 World's Finest Resorts and it lives up to its reputation! Impeccable service, first class (and very comfortable) rooms, HUGE spa/pool area, and incredible breakfasts!

Unique Quality: heated floors, maid service in the evening to turn down beds and serve cookies (cost below is OFF peak price)

Directions: between vail village and lionshead, but is directly on bus route

More about Sonnenalp Resort Of Vail

Sonnenalp Resort of Vail
So...

by praegant

Sonnenalp Resort of Vail
So nice, so good - go there
Value for money is good!
summer about usd 150
winter about usd 250+ Everything is there - spa, golf course, .....

Fabulous Sonnenalp

by TripAdvisor Member girlfromdenver

Our family stayed at the Sonnenalp this past 4th of July weekend and didn't want to leave. At check in we were upgraded to a suite. It was incredibly spacious room with a wonderful marble bathroom. The room was decorated in a wonderful Euopean style, keeping with the essence of the hotel.
The service was excellent. Every one of the staff that we came into contact with was wonderful and helpful. The location is terrific, within walking distance to Vail's great restaurants and shops. Our children enjoyed the pool while we sat poolside and enjoyed the view of the creek and mountains.
We had a wonderful buffet breafast every morning which was included in the room fee. We also tried their new Swiss fondue restaurant and would highly recommend it. The kids especially loved the chocolate fondue!
I would not hesitate to return to this great hotel. You feel as if you have been transported to Austria without ever leaving the States.

Great Stay at the Sonnenalp

After a hiatus of several years going to various Florida beaches, we returned to Vail and the beautiful Sonnenalp this February for a week of skiing. As the name indicates, the Sonnenalp is not your average run-of-the-mill American hotel; it has strong alpine influences, from the hands-on owners to the architecture and the décor. The staff are a diverse mix of Americans, Europeans and Hispanics, and are all very friendly and courteous. My family, consisting of my husband, myself and our two daughters aged 10 and 12, stayed in a Blue Spruce Suite with a terrace looking onto Gore Creek. The suite was quite spacious; we especially liked the little entrance hall when you first come in, which had a table, mirror, and coat hangers; the large bathroom with double sinks and a separate toilet; and the walk-in closet. The room itself had two double beds and a nice sitting area around the gas fireplace, a writing desk and chair, a dresser, and an armoire with a flat-screen TV and a mini-fridge. My only complaint would be the width of the beds: they were definitely not queen size, not even full size, they appeared to be somewhere between a full size and double size bed, and are really not meant to fit two adults. Fortunately, everybody in my family is slim and not too tall, so we made it work. The hotel has turn-down service which includes cookies and bottled water; plus the staff fills up and turns on a humidifier every night since the air is so dry. Included in the nightly rate is a breakfast buffet which offers a wide variety of cereal, fruit, pastries, made-to-order omelets, bacon and sausages, waffles, blintzes, bagels, etc. We also loved the indoor/outdoor pool and hot tubs and the big round chimenea in the pool area; the smoothies and tropical drinks served there were delicious. I should also mention that the hotel has several Lexus SUVs and the staff happily take guests anywhere in the village at no charge (tip, of course). Noteworthy are also the hotel’s library with a big fireplace, and bar area adjacent to the lobby, the four computers that are available for guests, the Bully Ranch (we ate there several times, great food at very reasonable prices in a casual Western setting), and Ludwig’s Restaurant (we ate there once, excellent food but superexpensive). All in all, we had a fabulous time both on and off the slopes, and can’t wait to go back next year.

Everything Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member 80238

My husband and I stayed at the Sonnenalp for one night and were impressed with every employee we encountered. Our room was very comfortable, with a view of the trees while we layed in bed. The indoor/outdoor pool was fantastic, and the breakfast was so delicious. Everyone was extremely courteous and polite - we can't wait to go back.

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member rex359

Just got back from a weekend at the Sonnenalp. Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Great location, outstanding service. The room was very nice. Stayed in one fo the Gore Creek Suites with a view of Gore Creek and the mountain. The Sunday breakfast was great. Can't say enough. This will be the place we stay everytime we are in vail.

Wonderful getaway

by TripAdvisor Member TopTravelNYC

Just returned from 6 nights at the Sonnenalp. Really enjoyed our stay at this lovely hotel! Upgrade to a Blue Spruce suite with a huge balcony on arrival was a nice surprise. Hotel is constantly being cleaned; I even saw them buffing the rugs in the hallways! First class touches such as: Frette linens on the beds, Frette tablecloths and napkins in the dining room (even at breakfast); beautiful custom china (with huge coffee cups) bearing the Sonnenalp name; delicious complimentary breakfast with eggs to order, fresh fruit and pastry, cold cereals, oatmeal, cheeses and meat, choice of coffee, cappucino or latte (or hot chocolate for the kids), fresh squeezed juice, relaxing full-service spa, cookies and water at turn-down, robes and slippers in the suite, complimentary hiking and bike trips (hint: if you stay mid-week you may have the guides all to yourself), nice staff and attentive service. We encountered at least 25 staff members during our stay and all but one was pleasant and helpful (the one rude staffer was quickly spoken to). Hint: Book a couple of nights of the "Adventure Package" and then regular rate for the remaining nights. For each night of the Adventure Package, you'll pay an extra $125 per night BUT you'll get 2 coupons per night to use in the Spa (or for Golf). We used ours in the Spa. Since each coupon is valid for one 50 minute spa treatment (which normally cost $130 each) booking the Adventure Package for two nights gave us four Spa treatments for the price of two! Sonnenalp is a Leading Small Hotel of the World and it certainly deserves the rating.

Great service and amazing food w/a European flair.

We checked out the Sonnenalp over Memorial Day and it was fantastic. Vail Village was pretty slow and it was still a little chilly, but the Sonnenalp made it all worth it. This hotel has more charm and character than any other hotel in Vail Valley. And what amazed my fiance and me more than anything was the quality of the food and service. We were so impressed with Ludwig's Restaurant and the hotel in general that we are planning to have our wedding there next year. Ludwig's has been renovated to include a glass- enclosed terrace over-looking Gore Creek, which is absolutely stunning. The desserts are amazing, especially the lemon souffle, which has to be requested in advance because they cook it to order.

We made our reservation through visitvailvalley.com, which gives last minute deals if you book around 1 week in advance. This allowed us to get a super cheap package that included a round of golf or a spa treatment for each of us each day of our stay. The spa is lovely and the grounds have a distinctly European feel. Even the glass and windows are imported from Germany, lending authenticity to the whole "Austrian chalet" aesthetic. Oh and another thing that's so special about the Sonnenalp is that it's totally dog-friendly, which is a big plus for dog-owners like us. You need to call them for the policies, but rest assured you can definitely bring your dog!

Priceline in Vail

by Carrot_Top

Has anyone used priceline.com to book a hotel in Vail? We want to stay somplace with a pool. Do I pick a 4 star or resort? Do you know which resorts have used priceline?

Thanks so much!!

Re: Priceline in Vail

by KelseyQ

I'm clueless about Priceline but I know the
Sonnenalp in Vail has a nice Pool.
It isn't cheap though.