410 Main Street, PO Box 746, Westcliffe, Colorado, 81252, United States

More about Westcliffe

Christmas morning in WestcliffeChristmas morning in Westcliffe

Rainbows from up in the mountains after a stormRainbows from up in the mountains after a storm

Old postcardOld postcard

Custer County CourthouseCuster County Courthouse

Travel Tips for Westcliffe

Hope Lutheran Church

by grandmaR

My dad's family who came from Germany and settled in the valley were Lutherans. Even though my grandparents lived in Silver Cliff, the church they went to was Hope Lutheran Church in Westcliff.

The Custer County C of C site says:

"(312 So. 3rd Street)-Built on this site in 1917, it houses one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in the state, orgainzed in 1872, when a group of German colonists settled in an area about 12 miles southwest of Westcliffe. Many descendants of these early settlers still live in the valley. The cross on the 96 foot steeple was originally covered with gold leaf. The church is on the National Register of Historical places." I don't really remember it, but I was baptized here. My mom was highly indignant because she wasn't allowed to carry me up to the alter because she was not a Missouri Synod Lutheran. My dad and his siblings were also baptized here, and it was here that my grandmother's funeral was held. I do remember that.

I took a picture of the church at the time that we moved from California to Key West in October 1966, and I painted this picture of it in 1967 when we lived in Key West. This photo of the picture was taken before it was finished. It does not yet have the golden aspen trees in it.

Hermit Lake

by grandmaR

Hermit Lake is located in the Front Range of the Colorado Rockies at an elevation of meters 3657(~ 12,000 ft). We hiked up to the lake, but apparently you can now drive up there with 4 wheel drive on Hermit Pass Road, which is described as a ".. rough road past a high lake to 13,000-foot Hermit Pass, with access to Hermit Peak, Rito Alto Peak, and Rito Alto Lake. This is a popular road that gets heavy use up to Hermit Lake during the summer months. Avoid weekends and holidays to escape most of the crowds...."

When we went, there was no one else up there. The water was very clear and cold even though it was July. I think my Dad used to climb up here to fish. I caught a garter snake, and on the way down we saw a hailstorm in the valley below us. Afterwards, my Dad took this picture of the double rainbow. My copy of his picture is somewhat more blurred than the original.

Westcliffe,Colorado

by Bluematter

"Westcliffe, Colorado"

This city and the surounding Wet Mountain Valley area offers many things for the outdoors inclined traveler, and when your finished with your adventure-hiking the Sangre de Cristos, fishing, rafting, visiting the wolves, or exploring castles in the mountains-their are many pubs and resturants to enjoy. Summer offers the most to do but Winter offers many diiferent choices as well. Sking in waist deep powder at Monarch is just an hour away and snowshoeing or ice-fishing is minutes from town. Their are bed and breakfast est. as well as some nice motels in town. The Sangre de Cristo range is ever present and makes one glad to be alive.

Johnny Come Lately Westcliffe

by grandmaR

Westcliffe is a mile from Silver Cliff. It did not exist until the railroad came to town and the terminal was built here.

Population (year 2000): 417, Est. population in July 2002: 461 (+10.6% change)
Males: 201 (48.2%), Females: 216 (51.8%)

Elevation: 7888 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Zip code: 81252

Westcliffe is the county seat of Custer County which was formed in 1877 from Fremont Co. and today is bordered on the north by Fremont County, on the east by Pueblo County, on the south by Huerfano County and on the west by Saguache County. The western border is formed by the Sangre de Christo Mountains, and the eastern border by the San Isabel National Forest.

The nearest hospital is in Canyon City which is 27 miles away. That's where my grandfather died.

There is a public high school in Westcliffe
* CUSTER CO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 157; Location: P O BOX 730; Grades: 09 - 12) which was started when my dad was at the end of his sophomore year. He was one of the first graduates.

In 1948, we went up to Silver Cliff and Westcliffe. We camped out a lot but here we stayed in cabins which were across the street from the Texaco station. We had no bathrooms in the cabins - had to go across to the Texco station for that.

We hiked up into the mountains to Hermit Lake, and I caught a garter snake. On another day (above), we went to a ranch outside of town that was owned by some distant relatives of my dad, and watched them milk their goats and took a trail ride.

Comments