81699 US Highway 40, Winter Park, Colorado, 80482, United States

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Winter Park Mountain Lodge

Weekend Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Missy2938

My boyfriend and I spent two nights at the Winter Park Mountain Lodge. I was a little scared at how the hotel would be given people's reviews, but we loved it. I don't remember alot of the checking in process because my boyfriend took care of it. The hotel itself was extremely nice and warm..considering it was 27 degrees outside. We stayed near the top floor in a corner suite for $109 a night and this included breakfast. We had a great view of the slopes from our room. The first morning we ate breakfast at the restuarnat and it was superb. There was plently of food and the staff was very friendly. The next morning, we were leaving and decided to bring the food back to our room and watch the skiers from our view. We had a huge bay window which was great. We booked one activity through the hotel. We went snowmobiling. The girls that led our group were great and very friendly. They would stop every few miles and give you great places to take pictures.

I was interested in staying at the Zephyr hotel, but you wouldn't of had any view of the skiers or the mountains. The Mountain Lodge was across the street from the Zephyr and you had the peace and quietness of the mountains. If you stay at the Zephyr instead, just be warned that there's alot of noise and conjestion because EVERYTHING is right behind the hotel.

You either love this hotel or hate it!

by TripAdvisor Member BOO37DOG

We stayed at the Winter Park Mountain Lodge for 2 weeks. This has been our second time here. Yes it does have problems but don't forget it is a Best Western and I tend to think these hotels are pretty basic. I must admit it really does need an overhaul and don't know what they are waiting for as the hotel is always busy and has lots of conventions so money is coming in. The pool area is very dirty and tired looking now and very unhygenic. There are no changing rooms and people just jump into the hot tubs as there are no showers so a lot of sweaty people I am afraid. The swimming pool is quite cold but adequate for a short swim. The fitness facilities are a joke and we have never seen them working and we have been visiting for two years so don't bring your trainers as you wont need them. In saying that the only reason we stay here is because it is near the slopes (dont listen to brochures saying it is a 10 min walk) - yeh if you want to risk your life walking over a busy highway with skis and boots. The shuttle buses are free and regular and the drivers are really lovely and will go out of their way to help you. Breakfast in the hotel is good and the cost is ok, however it is self service but the waitress expects a tip. We were unfortunate to be served with a really loud girl who insisted in shouting out (how much change do you want then $1 dollar, $2 dollar?) which you felt pressurised into giving although she did absolutely nothing so be warned. The food in the restaurant in the evenings is good although a bit pricey, I ordered starters as the main courses are too large for me. The rooms are fine, ours was a standard with two double beds, a tv, coffee maker and bathroom. Again if you like tea, dont forget to take a kettle and tea bags as they dont have one in the room. We probably would go back to this hotel but if I had the money I would definately stay at the Zephyr or the Iron Horse as getting into the town in the evening would be much easier. You must go tubing at Fraser it is fantastic and great fun. Fraser is served by the shuttle bus and has a large Safeway where you can get fantastic sandwiches, hot soup, chicken and all your groceries which is what we done. Winter Park itself is fairly quiet but the ski-ing makes up for it. We would never ski in Europe again because of the amount of snow it gets here and having the slopes to yourself if just heaven.

Really nice and friendly hotel

Having read some poor reviews we were a little nervous about the hotel, but we had absolutely no need to be. I don't know where all the others stayed but it wasn't the same hotel we stayed!
The rooms were tidy and more than adequate (see pic). The staff at reception and in the restaurant and bar were really friendly, and the shuttle bus to the resort and around town was brilliant.
If you want to stay at a 5 star hotel and be pampered sure this isn't the place for you. If you want comfort and a really friendly and helpful hotel at a brilliant price this IS the place for you. You just need to let the your inhibitions down and chat to people.
Yes the pool showers and sauna weren't working, but that was a minor blip on a wonderful hotel and vacation. Come on, the place brews its own beer, has Big screen TV, an open fire, compfy sofas to lounge in, and a snowmobile adventure company that operates from the hotel and takes you up to the continental divide and back to the door, and its 5 minutes from the slopes.
We will be booking the same hotel next time

okay base for a skking break

by TripAdvisor Member universallyinspired

I was a bit apprehensive about this hotel too, given the reviews but we found that on most counts it was fine. We found the shuttle pretty reliable and really convenient, and sometimes they managed an unbelievable amount of people in the buses. we went tubing in fraser one evening and the shuttle driver couldn't have been more helpful. The pool, hot tub and sauna were really good after a hard days skiing, and my 2 boys loved that.

The rooms were clean and comfortable, the only downside was that 2 nights running we returned from skiing (after 3.30) and our rooms hadn't been cleaned. we did get fresh towels though.

The hotel had several school groups whilst we were there, but they didn't cause any problems, except they made the buses very busy.

We ate in the hotel for breakfast most days and enjoyed it. we ate in the hotel twice in the evening, and it was okay but downtown was better.

loved it but

by TripAdvisor Member ruda

the hotel was very nice, staff friendly, room was very clean and huge room with a beautiful view of the mountains. one thing that i was not satisfied with, is that from what they're describing about this hotel, the lifts seem to be closer, but we had to take shuttle bus to the lifts, and cross the highway. beside the fact that we had to take the shuttle everywhere we went the place is awesome.

Shame about that massive road

by TripAdvisor Member Matthew_benson83

The rooms are really big
The bed is really big
The buffet is really big
The steaks are really big

Shame that damn road infront of the hotel blocking direct access to the ski base is also...really big - If that road was not there - this hotel would be excellent -you could walk to the lifts within 10 minutes (in ski boots)

The problem with the resort is that the ski bases are about 1-2km from the town - which unfortunately means if you stay close to the ski lifts - you have to get the bus over to the town and restaurants/bars.....but if you stay near the town/restaurants/bars you have to get the bus to the ski lifts - you're in a no win situation on this one - unless you like waiting for buses and bus trips.

The ski runs are excellent - resort is excellent - it is just a pity they are 1-2 km apart from each other!

Having said that - I would go back (for the skiing) but not at full price - we only paid half price each £250 each for flights/transfers/accommodation.

Could have been better

by TripAdvisor Member Melissadm33

This was our first time staying in Winter Park, it was a little weekend getaway. We checked in and the guy that checked us in was nice. We get to our room and it wasn't the room that I had reserved, but there was nothing they could do about it. We went and ate at the restaurant and it was pretty expensive for what you got. They gave us coupons for the brewery and restaurant that we couldn't even use. (wrong days) The next day we were out for a good part of the day and came back and they hadn't even cleaned or restocked our room. That wasn't really a big deal but we had to ask for some more coffee for the next morning. Then 12:30 Sunday morning someone from a wedding reception that was going on pulled the fire alarm. So we were outside in the cold for about 45 minutes before we were let back in and then for another 30 - 45 minutes the alarms in the hallways kept going off. So we didn't get any sleep that night. The next morning we checked out and they were so rude, (they hardly even talk to you they don't smile nothing.)never even asked how our stay was, never got an explaination on what happened or even an apology. Not very good customer service. And we won't stay there again, If we would have gotten an apology then it might have been different. They didn't even offer to give us a break on the cost of the room for not getting any sleep. And instead of ringing the whole bill up as one they did it for each night, so we got taxed twice and got charged some kind of fee twice. The swimming pool was really cold and one of the hot tubs I was affraid to get into it. Not a very good experience.

by TripAdvisor Member YouCanDoIt

One of my biggest dissapointments with this hotel, was I thought that the picture of the hotel is a bit decieving. You see, about 1/3 of the hotel is behind the newer part of the hotel. The older portion of the hotel looks really rundown on the outside. Almost like one of those cheap motels you see leftover from the late 60's. I did not have a digital camera with me so I did not snap a photo of this older part of the hotel. So maybe if someone else stays here, they can take a phot of the older hotel and post it on this website.
The rooms were adequate I suppose, but in the morning I could hear the people in the next room playing their music. Plus I could hear the people upstairs walking around.

Despite the above mentioned shortcomings, the staff at the front desk were very nice. Plus the concierge approached us in the hotel and asked if she could help us with anything. I thought this was very nice. I did not eat at the hotel or visit the night club, but it seemed very busy on Saturday evening.

For you brides out there...

by TripAdvisor Member Bonsai29

I recently got married in Fraser and had my guests stay at the WPML. Bad idea. The individuals that run the reservation desk were very unorganized and were unable to keep my group reservations together. Also, I dropped off gift bags for my guests that were NOT handed out to my guests unless they asked for them. This isn't a facility to have your wedding guests stay at. They are not capable of handling large groups.

Worst Vacation Ever!!

by TripAdvisor Member jwmwcouple

This hotel was the worst place that we've ever stayed. The only reason we decided to stay in a hotel vs. renting a condo is because we wanted modern accommodations that the hotel claimed to provide (restuarant, exercise equipment, vending machines...).

The exercise room, if you can call it that, consisted of only 3 cardio machines (2 of which didn't work). The main reason for this is because the exercise room is in the same common area as the heated pool and hot tubs, which gave is a cozy 200% humitidy and a very nice coat of water droplets all over the ELECTRONIC equipment. Whatever management decision was to place it there, was typical of how everything else was run throughout the property.

Most of the vending machines were out of stock the entire time we were there (1 week). The hotel restaurant's quality of food was about on the same level as a Jr. High public school cafeteria, except you are paying $20-$30 for just about every menu item.

We received a wake up call the first night we were there (didn't order one, by the way), so I can only assume that the person that did, didn't get their wake up call for the day. The phones only worked about 50% of the time.

We booked 2 room 6 months in advance and requested that both rooms were on the same floor. We were told this would be the case, but when we checked in, one room was on the first floor, and the second was on the third floor. Pretty much every question we asked, we got the same answer..."I don't know"...."I'm sorry for the inconvience"...

The room that we stayed in had NO bath tub. The shower consisted of a hand held sprayer attached to the wall and a hole in the tile floor. The only thing that seperated the shower from the rest of the bathroom was a pathetic, prision issue shower curtain.

Dissappointed, in Houston.