36 Main St., Essex, Connecticut, 06426, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Historic Inn for a Historic City

My stay here was pleasant. There was a sale on the rooms for $109 a night during the summer for Sundays-Thursdays. So, I stayed on a Sunday night. The room was small but had a private stand-up shower and bathroom. There was no tv, so I actually played on my laptop most of the night. The linens were simple but comfortable.

The only negative thing was that they charged me a higher amount to my credit card then the price that I booked online. So, we had to have a few phone calls after I received my bill, but they ended up putting money back on my card. Still, because it's independent there's only one accountant and one reservation assistant so they were never there to speak with me, they always had to return my call.

Unique Quality: The rooms are very close to the Tap Room, which is the bar that houses live bands. Even on Sunday night they were playing good music until around 10-11. If you're an early sleeper this may be a problem if you don't like loud noises.

Also, the rooms are upstairs and the stairs are NARROW. So if you don't do well with stairs you may need to request a special room across the street in their extension of rooms.

There's no fast food for about 15 minutes so make sure you get an early dinner before the restaurants close up!!

Directions: In the middle of Main Street, on the right coming into town

• LeeParis's Profile Photo

The Griswold Inn

Unique Quality: The Inn has been in existence since 1776. It is so charming. There is a restaurant and lounge downstairs. We had a lovely suite, with real antiques including a 4-poster bed. There was a gas stove that allowed for a fireplace-like effect. Piped in classical music with volume control. A/C, too.

More about Griswold Inn

Live Music Through Test of Time

by msbrandysue about Tap Room at Griswold Inn

I stayed at the Griswold Inn on a Monday night if I remember correctly. Attached to the Inn is the Tap Room, a bar that was used in the colonial days and is available to still have a drink in these days. Even on Monday night they had live music from about 7-8pm until around 11pm. The bar isn't a huge place so there are people that spill outside at busy times. But everyone seemed to be having a good time.

*I checked the website and they claim to have live music/entertainment on every night of the week! There was no dress code here.

Ultimate Sunday Brunch

by msbrandysue about Griswold Inn Hunt Brunch

The Griswold Inn presents their Sunday Hunt Brunch and I would definitely recommend this even if you aren't staying in the area. The food is superb and the setting is fantastic. Eating in a tavern that has existed since our first President was alive is an amazing experience to me. To know that the tradition is priceless and has fulfilled so many different people is pretty amazing.

The waitstaff was very kind. I had a great mimosa and coffee, with water. The food is all you can consume. It's just a really great experience and a meal all at the same time. The waffle bar was AWESOME, but there was a young boy right behind the area making sure everything was nicely organized. I was too embarrassed to get more than one. LOL The scrambled eggs and bacon were amazing, best I've had.

We ate in the Steamship Room...

by LeeParis

We ate in the Steamship Room at the Griswold Inn. Expensive but delicious!

We got a takeout snack from Olive Oyl's. The strawberry/blueberry/peach cake was out of this world!
There is an oil painting in the Steamship Room that actually moves. It makes you feel as if you are on a boat. I thought I was crazy at first, but my companion verified it for me after I asked. Then, I checked their website and they mention the 'moving picture'. :-)

Comments