Mayflower Motel Milford

Vegetable SamosasVegetable Samosas

Travel Tips for Milford

Just An Overnight Stay

by cjg1

Most of our overnight stays in Milford our single nights stays to earn hotel points. If we are roadtripping North we choose to stay further afield than Milford. A simple overnight bag or small rollaboard will suffice. Depending on the weather: cool clothing for summer months and warm clothing for chilly months. An umbrella is always a must as well as a warm jacket in Spring and FAll; it can get chilly at night. My usual bag of shampoo, contacts, lotion, hair gel, deodorant, tooth paste, tooth brush and hair brush. My digital camera

When you want some really good inexpensive Italian

by Gypsystravels about Mama Teresa's

This restaurant is located on the very busy Boston Post Road and we have had a few good meals here.

The restaurant is a nice size with large and medium size booths. If you come during off time, you can choose your own seat, but during a busy Friday or Saturday night you have to wait to be seated. As you enter the restaurant there is a counter where you can order your meal to go. The restaurant has much of the familiar Italian favorites like pastas, chicken and meat dishes, nice appetizers and some really yummy pizza. Prices are very good for the amount of food you get and most of the time you will probably take a "doggie bag" with you back home.

We like to try new places, but many times we like going to a familar place to eat, especially if the food has been consistently good. We have been here many times, but during our last visit here found the food to be a bit below the usual standard. For whatever reason it may be, whether it was our choice of dish or the cook or a different ingredient, we weren't too happy with our food.

We hope this was just a strange day off since our prior dishes were quite good. I would give this place one more chance, hopefully I won't be dissappointed again. During our first visit here we ordered the Special Pizza to share, the pizza comes with sausage, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms and peppers. We really enjoyed the pizza and thought it was quite good.

On our next visit I ordered the Boston Stuffed Clams, yum, the Seafood Ravioli, which was very good and Ferni had the Chicken Parmigana with pasta.

Our last visit here I ordered the Tortellini Alfredo and the cheese was simply awful, I left the whole meal after two bites. Ferni ordered some chicken strips with a side of fries since he didn't want pasta and the chicken was dry and gummy, the fries were okay...

A Quick and Easy Lunch

by cjg1 about Village Grill & Cafe

We got take out from here when we were visiting Liz's friends in Milford. It's a bagel store/deli/cafe. They have a variety of bagels, sandwiches and hot dishes. Liz just wanted a bagel with cream cheese which she was surprise was good. I got a gyro which was very good and exactly what I was in the mood to eat.

Good Diner Food

by cjg1 about Athenian Diner

The Athenian Diner is right off of I-95 in Milford; a convenient hop off the highway for food. The Diner is typical in it's decor nothing special and serves the classic diner fare. We have stopped here a few time to have breakfast and lunch with some friends when passing by on a road trip and a late night snack after a trip to one of our favorite shops in the area. The food has always been very good and the service fast. The place is never too crowded but seems to have the same local loyal customers that we have begun to recognize from our stops here.

Our last meal here was during a roadtrip North in May 2010. I was starving and knew I'd never make it to our final stop for the night without something to eat. We stopped in and enjoyed a nice meal before heading back on I-95 North. I enjoyed a gyro with french fries and an unsweetened ice tea. I do enjoy their gyros here; they are very well made. My wife had a crock of french onion soup and a side of mozzarella sticks. She wasn't in the mood for "real" food but wanted some snacks. We left will full bellies and were able to continue on our way without our stomach growling. The hash and eggs is the choice for me here when I want breakfast and it's pretty good. Their gyro is very good and my favorite when here. Liz likes her grilled cheese sandwich even if it's breakfast time. The mozzarella sticks here are very good and are served with a tasty marinara dipping sauce. The frnech onion soup is quite nice for a diner.

Good Drinks & Bar Food

by cjg1 about Black Bear Saloon

The Black Bear is a nice bar/restaurant right in the Westfield Shopping Center in Milford (there are other locations in Stamford, Norwalk, White Plains that we have visited). We are often in Milford visiting friends, cathching a movie or passing through on a roadtrip and the Black Bear is a nice place to grab a snack, meal, dessert or just a drink. The place itself is a nice size and I prefer to sit and the bar and relax or one of the tables in tha vicinity of the bar. The menu has the usual pub grub food and I really enjoy the sliders, wings and their spinach and artichoke dip. The crowd here is pretty tame unless it's a Yankee/Redsox game or a Patriot/Giants game...then get ready for the rowdy people to get going.

The service here can vary depending on the crowd level and where you are seated. When we sit at the bar, the service is spot on. If we sit at a table or booth in the vicinity of the bar, the service is good. When we have been seated in the back of the restaurant furthest from the main entrance; the service has been so so. So we try to request a table in the front or have a seat at the bar if there are seats available. The Spinach & Artichoke dip is quite nice and both Liz and I look forward to it when we come here. It's a large crock full of dip with chips, pita bread and garlic bread for dipping. The sliders here are very good as well with a nice side of onion rings. The BBQ wings are very good and I like them with some extra bleu cheese when I order the spicy ones. Liz enjoys their mozzarella sticks as well.

Desserts here are good and I really enjoy their Lava cake. Warm and gooey chocolate center makes it an awesome treat. Liz enjoys their apple crisp and I must admit it is rather good but I prefer my lava cake.

Mixed drinks here are nice potions and the Margaritas are good (not as good as Margaritaville or Poco's in Portsmouth) but good.

Comments