Inn At Mystic

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 107% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• Easty's Profile Photo

Inn at Mystic

I was here in 1985, so I do not have pricing information. It is upscale and has the best location in Mystic. So I imagine it is quite expensive. Approximatley $200 a night on a summer/fall weekend.

Unique Quality: A nice charming motor inn overlooking Long Island Sound. It is within walking distance of Mystic Seaport and downtown Mystic.

More about Inn At Mystic

Expensive but better than most of the reviews

by TripAdvisor Member Leoned

Stayed at the Inn for two nights in November for a wedding. We had a room attached to the main building and it was clean and in good condition. Our room included an electric fireplace, full bath and small balcony with two chairs. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean albeit not overly exciting. The balcony provided a nice view of the water off the coast of mystic.

The restaurant, and included breakfast, were a great surprise and were good. The breakfast buffet is a full buffet and was packed each morning. Lunch was also very good and we were all rather impressed.

I did not come across any bugs in the room as others noted in their reviews. If anywhere the bugs would be an issue in the rooms connected to the restaurant and bar. The majority of the rooms are in the main house and I recommend asking for one of these rooms.

The Inn is convenient to town and with the wedding being on-site you couldn't have asked for a more convenient location. The service, food, beverage and overall presentation at the mansion were very well done.

We loved it, but perhaps not for everyone

by TripAdvisor Member charlesct

We live in Norwich, CT -- about a twenty minute drive northwest of Mystic -- and wanted a quiet romantic getaway for the night. My wife is partial to antiques and colonial style and I like a water view, and it seemed that the Inn at Mystic fit the bill. It certainly did.

I can see, though, why the reviews here are all over the map. We stayed in the East Wing but walked around the property and peaked into the windows of some unoccupied rooms in the other sections, and it seems as if the rooms do vary widely in size and quality, not to mention view. I can imagine some rooms might well be disappointing.

The Inn at Mystic is really a very upscale motel. Except for the handful of rooms in the Mansion and Gate House, the rooms have outdoor corridors. The lobby is fairly tiny (though attractive), there are no bellhops or valets, etc. But, our room was lovely -- quite large, a four poster canopy bed, a working fireplace with lots of firewood, a very nice bathroom with a bidet (!) and a great view from our private balcony. It was exactly what we were looking for.

Afternoon tea and buffet breakfast at Flood Tide were both delicious and delightful. The pastries from tea were filling enough, and we loved our room so much, that we did not even go out for dinner but just brought in a pizza from Angie's right across the street.

The afternoon we got there we walked around the grounds and went up to the mansion. One of the sales staff, a lovely woman of a certain age, who works in the mansion, gave us a very interesting and informative tour. It was not really boating weather but on a return visit we would love to try one of the rowboats which are provided for guests.

Mystical Nights

by TripAdvisor Member SueMcCarthy

I took a step back in time at the 1905 historic Inn at Mystic in Mystic, CT. Just a short trip from the Providence, RI airport and I was there. My room, located on the 2nd floor of the stately mansion, was the former study of the inn's founder, Mrs. Haley. The wingback chairs, my "faux four-poster" bed, amoire, fireplace and jacuzzi tub made my stay very comfortable. From my window I overlooked the inn's Flood Tide Restaurant, the harbor and the Mystic River.

The mansion has five guest rooms, and there are also rooms in the deluxe motor lodge, the gatehouse and the Flood Tide. Number 8 at the gatehouse was the honeymoon suite of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. Be sure to ask the owner, Jody Dyer, to show the painting by Lauren Bacall.

The Flood Tide Restaurant is Zagat rated serving afternoon tea with scrumptious pastries and popovers. Brunch, lunch and dinner are also available with reservations recommended for dinner.

My mystical nights at the inn brought dreams of the historic whaling ship, C. W. Morgan, at nearby Mystic Seaport. The Seaport's Lantern Light Tour was led by a victorian costumed Mrs. Voss guiding us by lantern through the 19th century whaling village in search of Captain Nicholas. A perfect end to a perfect trip.

Greedy proprietor

I made reservations here last summer and they screwed up the reservation and then charged me a no-show fee for their mistake and refused to give me the correct date. Beware of the sloppy reservations clerks, and the greedy proprietor here.

Awful

We had eaten at the Flood Tide Restaurant several years ago and it was fabulous; we vowed to come back and stay at The Inn at Mystic. Huge mistake. My displeasure with this "inn" (translated: motel) began with the cleanliness of the room - I had to clean the toilet and sink as soon as I took one look at the bathroom; the queen bed was in fact a full (those few inches make a huge difference); the walls must be made of paper, as we could hear the person below us snoring both nights. On night two it was so loud, we had to change rooms at 4AM (when my husband called the front desk, he was told we could change rooms, but the new room didn't have a jacuzzi - as if we cared at 4AM!). The staff is so absolutely clueless, it was almost comical: we called for a recommendation for lunch and were told, "Actually, I don't have one. Ask someone in one of the shops downtown." I am not kidding. We signed up for the Celebration package, which included buffet breakfasts and a meal at Flood Tide. We got to breakfast towards the end of their breakfast hours (which would not have happened had we not been up the previous night listening to someone snoring). Needless to say, the food was cold and scarce, even the oatmeal hadn't been stirred in hours. When we went to dinner, we were seated in front of the kitchen, fan blaring, dishes clattering. We asked to move and were relocated to an area that looked like it wasn't even a part of the dining area. When we sat down, the couple next to us immediately told us they were seated by the kitchen and they, too asked to move. While our meal was delicious, service was a joke: my medium well steak was purple inside, and I couldn't even send it back because our waiter disappeared for 10-minutes. We had to walk over to the hostess to let the situation be known. When the waiter returned, he looked at both of us (there was no plate in front of me) and asked if "everything is enjoyable." Why yes, I liked my food so much, I ate the plate. Unreal. Do not go. Ever.

Nice Little Inn, Great Deal, Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member Bigdiggie2

My girlfriend and I drove down from New Hampshire to visit Foxwoods with the intention of finding a hotel while we were down there. That was a big mistake. In the summer months, its very difficult to find a hotel/motel in Mystic if you don't book ahead of time. We were directed to the "Inn at Mystic" by a full hotel and tried it. Surprisingly, they had one room left. We paid $129 for the night with free breakfast for both of us the next morning at the Flood Tide restuarant on the property. That's a great deal for the quality of this Inn and the season.

The setting is quite nice, set up on a hill, Mystic Harbor can be seen as well as a small river that runs next to the property. The layout of the Inn is more like that of a motel, but the inside of the rooms beg to differ. The room we stayed in was small, with two double beds, which were also a bit on the small side. However, the decor of the room was quite nice; old english would be the best way to describe it, making the small room seem homely and quaint. The bathroom was very nice, containing ample soap and towels, and suprisingly, big. There was a complementary coffee machine with instant coffee, as well as 4 glasses.

They offer a complamentary breakfast with the room, which was much to our liking. We showed up with an hour to spare for breakfast and found the food quite appetizing--it is a buffett style with freshly squeezed juice.

Overall, I would deff. recommend this Inn to travelers. They offer rooms quite unlike those of other hotels. The service is a bit on the lack side, with employees that seem to be "too busy" to help, but such is business I guess. The Inn/Hotel is about a 10 min drive from Foxwoods through nice back roads (pretty easy to find). I would deff. recommend this place for people who don't wish to stay at the casino when visiting.

Mansion recommended...the rest is just fine.

My fiance and I arrived on a Wednesday at check-in for a two night stay at the Inn at Mystic. After some initial confusion to find the place, I don't see how we could have missed it. It stands majestically on a hill overlooking the harbor on Rt. 1, very near several excellent restaurants and pubs. It's own restaurant was quite good at breakfast; we did not eat lunch or dinner there as we were out exploring the area.

Breakfasts are well done and await you in copper pans buffet style at the chef's area. The waitress was very helpful and prompt with the coffee in the mornings. Breakfast is served from 7 am until 10:30 am, so this time range was excellent for us.

If you look hard at the Inn at Mystic, you'll see the Flood Tide restaurant in front, the "hotel/motel" where you check in, the condo-style building with balconys off to the right, and then the mansion which is not visible from the entrance to the Inn. The mansion is glowingly lovely. Windows do open and close, and are not painted shut. I highly recommend the room we had with the Japanese style soaking tub and seperate shower. Linens are very nicely kept, except the coverlet which was a dark blue plain (and somewhat cheap-looking) comforter. We also had a small balcony with a view. Wireless internet was easily attainable from our room or any location in the mansion.

The "mansion hostess" was very kind and knowledgeable about the mansion and all of its history, and had coffee prepared for guests in the mansion, though we chose to eat in the restaurant as this came with the cost of the mansion room. We drove past the Bogart/Bacall cottage where they honeymooned behind the mansion.

The rock formations, trellis, sitting areas, trees and gardens are lovely. I would get married there in a minute were it not so far away from my home.

Check-in/check-out was very convenient. The desk assistant took her time with me on the phone when we went the wrong way and stayed on the phone with me until we arrived. That's customer service.

I highly recommended the Birchwood Inn (mansion). I can not speak of the hotel/motel or condo accomodations, though there were several rooms occupied when we were there.

Very Wonderful Location

We switched to the Inn at Mystic after a nightmare experience at a chain hotel that we had made reservations for. We were very lucky that they had a cancellation right before we called and were able to get a lovely room on the second floor. It is always a bit of a challenge to travel with a small child, but the Inn made for a nice place to call home for a few days. The location makes getting to everything in the Mystic area quite easy. The views are beautiful. The grounds of the Inn are lovely and we had a wonderful time exploring them with our 5 year old son. The restaurant had good food, albeit not 5 star cuisine for the AM breakfast but much better than you get with some hotels. The afternnon tea was fun for the days we were back in time - my son enjoyed the afternoon snacks! The pool was great for relaxing after a day at the Mystic Seaport or the Aquarium. Overall, my family would happily stay there again. Secretly my husband and I would love to travel solo and stay in the mansion, which is off limits to kids, but maybe in another 10-15 years that will become a possibility. It was my second time visiting Mystic and my first at the Inn at Mystic and as I said - when we go to Mystic again (which we will when our son is older and can appreciate Mystic Seaport in a new way) we will be staying at the Inn at Mystic again!

Help me planning a romantic fall foliage weekend

by dada44

Hi all,

I’d like to spend a weekend at any place in Connecticut where my girl and I can enjoy a beautiful fall foliage. Can anyone suggest a good location?
We’ll be travelling from New York by train or bus, no car, so it has to be an easy to reach place ..
And I also need a nice intimate not too expensive bed & breakfast recommendation.. To much to ask for, I know, but I’m planing from outside the U.S and I’m completely lost :(

Thanks a million in advance!!!!

RE: Help me planning a romantic fall foliage weekend

by zuriga

I'm not sure about the best way to get there, but Mystic Seaport is a wonderful place for a romantic and beautiful-foliage weekend. You can probably Google for some nice B&Bs. There's a Mystic Inn with fourposter beds and jacuzzis but I have no idea what their rates are now. There's also a Metro North line (leaves from Grand Central) that goes up into Connecticut and possibly near the Berkshire Mountains. That's another great location with lots to see and do.Good luck.. you'll have a lovely time.

RE: Help me planning a romantic fall foliage weekend

by Boca24

CT without a car is difficult, but I think you can do it, and if your looking for fall foliage timing is going to be everything. For the Foliage report I would suggest:
www.dep.state.ct.us/updates/foliage/foliagereport.asp

That's the foliage report from the tourism office. As for specific places to go Mystic is always a good bet but it is typically not cheap. I would start your search of at the tourism website

www.tourism.state.ct.us

It has their list of 52 Getaways that might be useful to you.

I would agree about the B&Bs, I would start with a google search. Hope this helps a bit.

• May 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Love it! Beautiful views, and grounds. The rooms are very clean and sweet, and the hyatt and marriot definitely don't have the view or the location, they may be more modern but I'm glad for the same price we were able to be to a toast under the stars on our balcony and wake up to a gorgeous ocean view. You have a lot to appreciate here, and walking the grounds and feeling the history is amazing. Definitely worth a visit! Also it is minutes from historic downtown....lots of fun to be had!