29 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, Connecticut, 06338, United States
Booking.com Orbitz.com Tingo.com

More about MGM Grand at Foxwoods

Great room and service

by TripAdvisor Member jwan2uk

We are frequent visitors to Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun so when the MGM opened up we wanted to visit.
We stayed in a suite which was a similar cost as Mohegan Sun Suites but more expensive than those at Foxwoods.
For a suite the room was small. It didn't really look like a suite since it was basically one room with a very large arch between.
The AC in the room worked but was at the end of the room and didn't ever quite make it up to the bed end! It was a very warm night.
The casino is very small and rather packed. I much prefer the casino's at Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun.
On the plus side - the bed was amazingly comfortable and the jacuzzi bath was the deepest I have ever seen. Shower was great too.
The room service food was increadible - the best from any hotel I have stayed in.
I'm not sure I would choose to stay here again because of the price and the size of the suite compared to the other casino hotels near by.

Not my cup of tea

by TripAdvisor Member Mrs-K-albany

Stayed here 4 nights for a conference. It was OK as conference hotels go.

Checked in on a Friday afternoon. Had no problem other than they did not want to accept my Federal Tax Exempt form because I was from another state. I pointed out FEDERAL tax exempt and they reluctantly agreed. However, when I checked my account on line the tax was added. Had to go back down and spent 20 minutes until it was fixed.

The rooms are brand new. The beds are very nice, though quite high. I am only 5 feet tall, and I had to sort of jump to get on the bed. The "recliner" is nothing to recline in...it is like concrete with cloth on it. There is no guest information book in the room so it is very difficult to figure out where anything is. The room is new and so it still smells like new carpet and new furniture (better than what it could smell like I guess!) As the windows do not open, there was no way to air it out. This gave some of my fellow conference goers a terrible headache.

And be careful of the tray with the cute little bottles of nuts and tins of goodies!!! They are all on pressure sensitive pads, and if you even lift them to look at them the computer registeres them as off the pad and you are automatically charge for them, even if you put them back. And they are NOT cheap!!! A little tim of gummy bears is $10, a couple of ounces of dry roasted peanuts is $12, a couple of chocolate chip cookies are $8...and the list goes on. I asked to have it removed from my room as I was not interested in any of the items and I did not want to accidently knock into it and dislodge something and they refused, saying it "isn't that simple."

This place is in the middle of no-where and so they charge you ridiculous prices for the most simple things. If you want soda or bottled water while you are here, be advised to bring a small cooler and your own supply. 10 ounce Pepsi is $3 and a 12 ounce Ethos water is $5.

The bathroom is quite large and nicely appointed, though the lighting is not good making it hard to put on makeup.

There is wireless Internet in the rooms. However, the signal when I was there was terrible, averaging only 15-20%. When I got kicked off one night when I was working, I called the help desk. They did not know anything about the system, and kept saying it was only up for a week so they could not answer any of my questions. Luckily I am pretty good with computers and managed to figure most things out for myself. Then I called them to tell them how their system did/did not work. Just so you know, you have to re-sign in (like a new user) at least once every 24 hours or you can be in the middle of doing something and it will kick you off.

The first morning I discovered that they did not expect anyone to eat breakfast. I had to walk all the way to the other end of the resort (probably a good 3/4 mile through the bridges and walkways) to the Panera Bread to get anything other than a cup of coffee or a pastry. The prices at Panera's were the same as at home. There is one place that is open 24 hours that had a sit-down breakfast but I had a conference to attend and could not spend the time. Nor was I interested in spending $8 for a breakfast sandwich. Another place is supposed to start having breakfast sandwiches and eggs in the near future.

If you are a gambler (which I am not) you will be in heaven. There are probably 6 or 7 casinos. Unfortunately all but one allow smoking,and all you can smell as you walk by is cigarette smoke.

The noise level on the casino level is ear-splitting, even at 7 AM on Sunday morning. It is beyond me why anyone feels they have to be blasting music at that time of the day. Many of us went up to our rooms a couple of times a day just to get away from the din.

There are 4 sit down restaurants and a SMALL food court in the MGM. One restaurant off the lobby serves mostly salads, sandwiches and burgers. One is a pricey chinese restaurant. One is an equally pricey steak house, and the last is another pricey one, this time Italian. The Food court is only three weeks old and already has assumed a dingy air. In it there is a coffee place, a sushi/stir fry place, a burger bar, a deli, and a "raw bar" Food here was fairly reasonable priced.

The fairly long walk to the Foxwoods Resort brought us to many other dining options. There are a number of sit-down restaurants, the Festival buffet, several walk-up "cafe" bars, some fast food places (Nathan's, Uno Pizza, a deli, a salad place etc).

One night we ate at the "Bar-B-Q" which was actually a very nice sit down restaurant with only 3 things on the menu: Prime rib dinner served 4 different sizes; salmon and chicken. We both had prime rib and were very pleased, It was extremely tender, with good flavor. The dinner included baked potato (and they brought a condiment tray with bacon pieces, sour cream, butter, and horseradish sour cream) bread, a relish tray and garden salad served family style.

Another night we ate at a sit-down Italian restaurant (Al Dente) Only bread was included with the meal (since when do you charge $24 for a boneless chicken breast with one slice of eggplant and not even serve a little pasta with it?) So while the food was good, the bill was much higher than the night before as everything was an extra charge, and it was way too much for what you got.

The outdoor pool is quite nice, but we discovered there was no way to get to it without going through the main casino area in your bathing suit, and then dripping your way through the casino on the way back to your room.

So being a non-gambler, and someone who likes to be able to talk to their companions without having to scream over blaring music this was not my cup of tea.

Not Vegas !!

by TripAdvisor Member JONBAX

My wife and I were on a tour of New England and when we looked at hotels near Mystic were please to see a casino resort with a name such as MGM Grand. as a regular visitor to Las Vegas we thought we would see what this was like. Very disappointed.!!!! the hotel was only 3 weeks old and the Mini bar was broken. TV system did not work through out hotel. restautant choices are not good and we ate mostly in the Grand Pequot. the hotel although boasts over 800 rooms is quite small. Staff do not seem to know what to do. The server in Juniors restaurant was not sure how to charge my check to my room!! Escalators were not all working. If I went back to Foxwoods, better staying at Pequot Tower.

really enjoyed ourselves

by TripAdvisor Member sam629

We just spent an overnight at this hotel. Definitely steps above the foxwoods fanny-pack-buffet-visor hotel. Because we stayed midweek, I think our experience was better than some of the reviews posted. We arrived at 1:00 and were able to check in. We had a room on the 24th floor with a truly fantastic view of the woods---I mean WOW! No, this isn't Vegas but the room was really great. Very comfy king size bed with comforter and pillows. A/c was fine. Bathroom was large--not Vegas huge--but large. Great shower, plenty of fluffy towels, waffle weave robes, and large soaps. Mini bar was well stocked. Prices of drinks were typical but prices of snacks were outrageous--watch out as they are outside the fridge. Flat screen tv with a zillion channels. I'm not a gamer but my husband is. He went back over to Foxwoods to play poker. Basically MGM's casino is like a donut---the table games are in the middle and slots all around. Around the slots are the entrances to all the shops, a 24 hour bakery, the restaurants, the theater, and the hotel. Also, one can access the outdoor pool and terraces. Nice set-up and I was quite pleased that I didn't have to walk through the slots to get anywhere. Food market is a step above the food court in Foxwoods. Shops are also nicer. We ate at Alta Strada. Menu reflected true Italian cuisine quite well (no heavy garlic or over powering sauces). Prices seemed reasonable for upscale dining except for the $17 cucumber martini--I think that was b/c of the liquor I can't recall but still to expensive for me. We had a snack at Juniors. Good size portions but bartender used a mix for my mojito--yuck. Great service at both restaurants. Shrine looks very nice--wasn't doing too much business. The walk from MGM to Foxwoods is considerable. Up a large esclator, over a skywalk with a people mover (passing a nice Gelato cafe with paninis and breakfast--only open til 10pm though) and over the new business center. The highlight for me was the G spa. Quite pricey but very nice and a definite reason to go back for me. Women's and men's locker room suites each equipped with sauna, steam room, and large whirlpool. Between the two and off the lobby is the indoor pool and co-ed whirlpool. Fitness room and salon. Well-kept changing facilities and showers in the locker room. I've been to a number of spas but I was so thrown by the large number of "help" standing around that I used a dressing room at first. After my treatment, I just about had the place to myself and really enjoyed it! Again, don't go expecting Vegas. This is a really nice hotel, definitely a better alternative to the foxwoods hotels and you can go to both casinos.

First time Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Slotguy

Having not been to Foxwoods for 3 years, I was interested in seeing what the new MGM at Foxwoods had to offer.

We'd booked our room through an MGM casino host, specifying a high floor with room to roam.
The arrival to the property was well done, with efficient and friendly service by valet. Checking in was a breeze, but with one flaw. Our room was not ready for occupancy (3:00 pm). By giving them my cell number, they would call me as soon as it became available.
As 6:00 pm approached, I called the casinno host and asked that he check into the delay. It wasn't until 6:20 that we finally were able to get into our room. We were escorted by a very pleasant check-in manager.

The wait seemed worthwhile, as we were given a Chairman's Suite on the 29th (of 30) floor.
Huge room, nicely appointed with a curved marble bar, dining room, butler's kitchen, living room, sitting area, 2 baths and a marble foyer. Floor to ceiling windows and 4 plasma televisions - one of which was embedded into the main bathroom's mirror.
The bath amenities are great - nearly full-sized bottles of L'Occitane bath products.
The bed itself was amazing, with Pretisi sheets and perfect pillows.
The lighting system was terrific, too. All the recessed lights could be operated with a one-touch panel to achieve "daytime", "evening", or "nighttime" lighting levels.
We had dinner at Craftsteak that evening. Cool interior, extensive menu, but to be honest, the food was disappointing - especially the corn-fed, aged filet mignon - dry & unusually tough.
But the service was professional and pleasant. I do not see going back for quite some time - Michael Jordan's Steak House at Mohegan Sun does it far better.

Room service breakfast was done well. Their in-room menu offerings are very nice, going beyond what's normally offered for room service. I had Eggs Benedict, which can be tricky via room service. But the eggs were perfectly done.

Check-out was easy, too. We'd been given late check-out, which we did around 1:30 pm. A nice touch upon departing was the valet runner offering bottles of chilled water for the drive home.

All in all, a pretty nice experience. They have a few bugs to work out, but it is obvious their "staff to guest" training was meticulous, given how they chose to address various concerns.

More like Las Vegas

by TripAdvisor Member kemahone

We have stayed at Foxwoods a half dozen times in the past so we were excited to try out the MGM Grand when it opened. To save about $100 we booked for a Sunday night and took off work on Monday instead of staying there on a Saturday night.

I was able to book with my old Wampum number so it seemed like MGM Grand was part of the system. However I was surprised at checkin when I couldn't apply my Foxwoods gift cards towards the room because "MGM Grand is a different company than Foxwoods." Bummer but I guess I wasn't too surprised.

The room was nice - certainly up to date and more like what you'd see in Las Vegas than the other Foxwoods hotels. Nice flat screen tv, modern furniture, and very comfortable bed. I was surprised there wasn't a bathtub but the shower and bathroom were nice.

The hotel staff was pleasant in the hallways and quick to respond in the afternoon when I mistakenly put the service sign out instead of privacy. I was disappointed that checkout was at 11 instead of noon.

Walked by the pool and it looked nice but I didn't use it. It's great to have more places to explore at Foxwoods. Although there are nice touch screen directories in MGM Grand, I did have a tough time finding the connector hallway to Foxwoods - that wasn't shown on the directory.

In general, I'm glad to have more casino/restaurant/lodging options at Foxwoods but I am not sure that the MGM Grand Hotel at Foxwoods is worth the money. If it drives down the price at the Pequot Tower and the Great Cedar hotel, then that's great. I'm glad I got to try it out but probably wouldn't spend that money on it again.

Not Perfect Yet...But Fantastic Time

by TripAdvisor Member woodtree

We arrived early on a Saturday and parking was a breeze. We enjoyed drinks at the beautiful pool while our children swam. Upon entering our room I was impressed with the decor, the bed was georgous (and the most comfortable I have ever slept in...I want one for home). The bathroom was large and luxurious, nice modern shower-beautiful tile work and clear glass doors.

Check in was delayed because of lack of clean rooms, they need to staff up so that will not be an issue on weekends.

We enjoyed the casino, found it to be easy to navigate since it is not huge. Dining was fun for the family at Juniors.

Service is not 100% yet but all employees that we had contact with were very pleasant.

We did have an issue with the snacks in our room. Too pricey for our taste ($10.00 for a small container of gummy bears). The containers are on some sort of sensor and we were charged for a few things that we did not use but it was easily taken off our bill upon checkout.

I would definately go back! It is a great place and will only get better in time.

Not Vegas... but nice

by TripAdvisor Member Cathy0411

Spent 3 nights here and had an enjoyable experience. The rooms are on the small size, but everything in them is very nice. The beds and pillows are wonderful! The view of the countryside was great. The only down side is that the casino is very small. I found myself walking back and forth to Foxwoods. Previous reviews made the walk sound like it was very long. I did not find this to be true. It is all indoors and maybe takes 5 minutes from one to the other. The Dream players card is great. You accumulate points and they can be used in any of the restaurants or shops. Each point is worth $1. If you gamble fairly consistently you will not have to pay for any of your food and drinks. I still prefer MGM in Vegas, but had a nice stay here.

thank God it was only one night....

by TripAdvisor Member meld_la

I had the misfortune of staying at the MGM Grand last night.
We paid $300.00 for our room- standard 2 queens. We tried to get a second room, but there weren't any available, but I would say that the rooms are too small for 4 adults. We were on top of each other.

The check in experience was a joke. First we had to wait in line for 20 minutes. then our customer service agent, Dalton, could barely be bothered to serve us. Our questions were met with "I don't know" and very little effort was made to find out. Once we'd forked over the credit card, he looked at us like we were off-kilter and said "you're done". My friend, who had paid for the room asked him if he could give us a map of the hotel. I asked where the elevators to the rooms were and he snapped "I'm about to show you". Yeah, right. That's why my friend had to ask for a map.

We made our way up to our room. We'd been relegated to a smoking floor, which was not what had been booked. The room was not only smoky, but had not been vacuumed! There was ash on the carpet along with small bits of garbage.

My friend who had arranged the trip then phoned the front desk to request a room change. She was put on hold for twenty minutes. We finally gave up and hauled our stuff back down to the lobby where we got a room change from a concierge after another 20 minutes of waiting because the rooms weren't clean yet.
BTW this was after 6pm- so we were not trying to check in early.

Things settled down a bit after this.
For a new hotel, though- and one that wants you to spend on gambling and concerts, this place makes noooooooo effort to make guests feel special. And, the place at 30 days or so old already has physical issues. In our room, the door would stick and you had to shoulder it open which was really really loud.

And again, the room was small small small. the two queen beds filled it almost entirely. We couldn't add a cot because it was too small to meet fire codes.

I agree with the other visitor who said that the mini bar was way over priced. As was the business centre- 10$ for 10 minutes of email and 50 cents per minute thereafter. ouch.

Shrine was a great place to eat- shared plates and reasonably priced overall. Food market was good for a quick breakfast.
I would suggest walking to the other casinos to check out dining options.

I could go on, but I've spent enough time on the MGM Grand....

Comments