229 George St., New Haven, Connecticut, 06510, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• leics's Profile Photo

Also very good indeed

After 2 years, the Omni was out of my price range on my second visit to NH. So I looked for a hotel near the centre with a more reasonable rate, and came up with this one.

George Street is a couple of short blocks from the heart of New Haven, convenient for bars and restaurants and for Yale. It felt like a safe area to me and I had no concerns about walking around alone.

It' a very nice hotel indeed. My room was huge and extremely clean, the bed super-comfortable, the toiletries super, the air conditioning fully under my control and the blackout curtains effective. There was ample hanging and storage space, a safe, a flat-screen TV, room to work and a coffee-maker.

There's a fitness room, a small in-hotel 'convenience store' which sells biscuits, ready meals (there's a microwave inside) and so on and on-site ATM (none of which I used). I did use the superb 'business centre' though, with its 6 computers (one of which is a Mac) ad it's efficient wifi. My free in-room wifi was also efficient, but why use a tiny screen when you can use a huge one? :-)

I didn't have breakfast so can't comment on it. The hotel does not serve an evening meal, probably because NH is full of excellent restaurants...many of which are within easy walking distance.

Staff were all friendly, courteous and helpful. The entrance lobby is very comfortable ...with a free wine-and-cheese reception for guests from 5-6 on Monday to Friday (I missed out on that!)...and there is a parking ramp (costs extra) directly opposite the hotel.

A very good base for business trips or for exploring New Haven.

Comments