Omni New Haven Hotel At Yale

leics's Profile Photo

Absolutely super!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 7, 2011

I cannot describe how much I enjoyed my stay (7 nights) at this hotel. It was a bit of a treat for me anyway, being a 4* (I usually stay in 2/3*) but I was treated so well and had such a lovely room that it was a fantastic place to stay.

I have family in New Haven and was advised that the Omni was the nicest and most convenient hotel...and the one in the safest location. This very much proved to be the case. At least one other major chain hotel here (which I had considered) is pretty much in an area famous for its muggings.

The Omni is literally a minute's walk from New Haven's Green, set on a road which has steady traffic during working hours but is pretty empty at other times. It is ultra-convenient for exploring downtown New Haven (and it really does warrant exploring...lots of interesting things to see and do) within easy walking distance, lots of restaurants, bars and cafes too (there are 4 directly opposite the hotel itself) and and only a short taxi ride from the station (so near I'd have walked if temps hadn't been in the 90s). There's a car park under the hotel (20USD per day) and several multi-storey car parks nearby.

My room was absolutely lovely. Perhaps it was because I was a long-stay visitor, perhaps because I'd joined Omni's 'select guest' program (no charge to do this, I just wanted the free wifi) but I was given a corner room with huge windows on 2 sides and views towards the sea. The large bed was really comfortable, there were robes, a big TV with good choice of free channels, fridge, safe, workdesk, coffee machine, iron and ironing board. The bathroom had bath as well as power-shower, oodles of hot water, hair-dryer, fluffy towels and really good quality toiletries (shampoo, 2 types of soap, conditioner, body lotion, cotton-wool, mouthwash, cotton-wool buds).

There's a bar/restaurant on the top (19th) floor which has superb views over New Haven Green (see the main photo on my NH page), a beauty salon on the ground floor (I didn't use that!), free coffee, apples and water in the lobby and three lifts (one of which goes down to the car park). So I never had to wait long for a lift.

I arrived hot, sweaty, grubby and totally exhausted after a stressy rail trip from heatwave-hit New York (temps well over 3 figures). The lobby staff took one look at me, whizzed me through check-in (apparently I'd done it already by being a 'select guest') and sent me to my room for a shower and rest. 5 minutes later a plate of savoury biscuits, relish, grapes and a strawberry arrived...complimentary, as was the bottle of water in my room and the 'morning beverage' delivered to my door at the time I specified (good coffee!). There was a newspaper hanging on the doorknob every weekday too. They whizzed me through check-out just as quickly and efficiently.

Now, I don't know how many of these 'extras' were related to my long-stay and how many to my 'select guest' status. But it's definitely worth becoming a 'select guest' even if only for the free wifi (there is a 'business centre with computers and printer in the lobby as well, of course).

All the staff were pleasant, friendly, helpful and courteous in the extreme.

As I said at the beginning...an absolutely super place and I can highly recommend it. I shall definitely stay there again and will investigate other Omni hotels if I visit other places in the US. :-)

Directions: Temple Street is the street which cuts New Haven Green in half. The hotel is very easy to find.

FatesWarn's Profile Photo

World Class Service at Reasonable Prices

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 28, 2007

I am a big fan of Omni Hotels, so I am probably a little biased, but this hotel exceeded my expectations as always. The New Haven Omni is located in the heart of downtown. There is a great park nearby and lots of restaurants within walking distance. Obviously, it is located in a college town, so there are lots of neat little shops around, as well.
The lobby of the hotel is gorgeous, with a beautiful arrangement of flowers such as sunflowers, gerber daisies, and calalillies.
I highly recommend joining Omni's Select Guest program (it's free), upon joining, they will send you a packet of coupons good for discounts and upgrades. Along with the initial offers, Omni offers its Select Guest members a complementary morning beverage for up to two guests along with a few discounted food items from the room service menu. You simply place their tag outside your room and they'll deliver your beverages and any other selections at the time you choose along with your choice of morning paper.

Unique Quality: The Omni New Haven has its own parking garage; guests may use their room key to get in and out with a reasonable fee of $18 for your stay. I have stayed at downtown hotels in other cities and there is rarely a convenient (or cost-effective) way to take your car in and out of the parking facilities, even with self parking, so this was a great feature.
The fitness center was open 24 hours, which was great since many hotels seem to have limited hours on their fitness centers, especially on the weekends.

Directions: On Temple between Crowne and George

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New Haven Travel Forum

Need advice about New Haven, Connecticut? Visit the Travel Forum for New Haven and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New Haven hotel reviews

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Courtyard New Haven At Yale
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Explore Deeper into New Haven
Good, basic food and drinks....
Restaurants
Wonderful selection of beers...
Huuuuge pizzas!
Breakfast with a book?
Restaurants
My Favoritest Restaurant of all time!
Wooster Square
Off The Beaten Path
Enjoy the architecture.
Things to Do
The Peabody Museum: see the dinosaurs!
Ice-cream!
Centre Church on the Green
Visit Yale 4: the Beinecke Library
Visit Yale 3: the Stirling Memorial Library
Things to Do
Visit Yale 2: explore the architecture.
Things to Do
Visit Yale 1: take the tour.
Great Bar Food!
Now this is apizza!
New Haven
Mass Transit vs. Car Rental
Transportation
Museum in a masterpiece of architecture
Things to Do
Can't miss the architecture at Yale!
Original Frank Pepe's Pizza 1925
Off The Beaten Path
shootouts
Bad Neighborhoods
Warnings and Dangers
The model for all the best book shops
Shopping