35 Governor Winthrop Blvd, New London, CT 06320

Buyer Beware!

by TripAdvisor Member BrocktonEric

This review is for September 2006

First complaint:
The location is terrible. The back parking lot borders the projects in a ghetto. I was afraid my tires would be stolen off my car! It was a nice day so my friend and I decided to walk the one or two blocks to the pier. MISTAKE! The hotel website neglected to mention that if you walk one street up from the hotel you're in the middle of damnation alley. (Sleezy bars, peep-show clubs, prostitutes, muggers, theives, drug dealers, etc. etc.)

Second complaint:
The room was in desperate need of renovation. I was expecting a sleep number bed but instead I was put in a room with a bed and mattress that must have been at least 10 years old.
The bathroom wasn't much better - moldy, old, and small.
The carpent in our room was worn and had stains on it. I wouldn't walk bare foot on it -- and I'm serious.

The pool was green and the hot tub made us physically sick when we sat in it. Some strong odor was coming out of the water when we were sitting in the hot tub so we got out fast and went back to take showers. I was afraid I'd catch some kind of disease if I stayed in it any longer than thirty seconds.

Later we went to the pub and we were the only three people in the place yet the bartender couldn't seem to fnd the time to wait on us. When he finally did, he informed us that the only type of beer they had in stock was Budweiser. (not our brand)

The next day we ate breakfast in the dining area and the waitress we had was dumb as a stump. She messed up our bill so bad we couldn't believe it. She charged us $6 dollars for three adult breakfasts. We felt bad for her because she was so stupid and gave her a chance to fix the bill because we didn't want her to get in trouble. We couldn't believe it when she brought the revised bill back ; she had taken another $2.00 dollars off!
She clearly had no clue.

In fairness I realize that the mitake the waitress made was a fluke, and the bartender could have had a bad day. And I'm sure not ALL of the rooms are as cruddy as the one I stayed in ...
I can over look those things ... BUT THE FRONT DESK MANAGER'S IGNORANCE IS UNEXCUSABLE! HE SHOULD BE FIRED! When we tried to tell him we weren't compleltely satisfied he shrugged and basically told us not to come back.
HIS ATTITUDE is why we'll never ... never ... ever go back there.
I wish I had gotten his name -- i should have reported him to Radisson Corportate.

BUYER BEWARE ON THIS HOTEL!
That's my advice to you.

liked the shuttle

by TripAdvisor Member NewHampsireTravels

My husband and I booked the hotel because they offer a shuttle to Mohegan Sun Casino. The shuttle was well worth the 10 dollars since it was a private van owned by the Raddison. It went directly to the casino and we were there in about 20 minutes. We found the staff very accomodating and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. We would stay here again.

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member bambam2007

I have to say that I don't usually write review, I just leave and never go back. I stayed at this particular hotel a couple of years ago and I vowed never to return. Well, low and behold, I had to go again, I was not happy. My company use this hotel and only this hotel, no choice or I had to pay for my own room. I was dreading the trip.
From the second I walked in the door I immediately noticed changes, teh atmosphere was different. The front desk girl, Bermerchy, was wonderful, she smiled, used my name, checked me in quickly and verified all of my info. I wandered to the elevator and went to my room, those sleep number beds are great by the way. It smelled great, it was clean and the rooms are the biggest I have ever seen with it being a regular room. I ate breakfast, which was great. Vikki in the restaurant was sweet and very accomodating. I had dinner in the bar, just a burger, but a good one, cooked the way I asked and the bun was grilled, just an added touch. The bartender, Jenny was cute and friendly and a great touch to a long day with a bunch of men. I have bad mouthed this hotel since my last stay and I take back every word. Whatever they are doing, maybe new owners or managment? They are doing it right. I will make sure everyone I know know's about this hotel, I feel like I have to make up for all the bad things I have ever said.

Clean..but needs to address a few problems.

by TripAdvisor Member Cody447

My wife and I went up to Connecticut to see a concert at Mohegan Sun Casino and decided to stay at the Radisson in New London, CT. The hotel is conveniently located a short distance from the Cross Sound Ferry Terminal and easy to drive to. Parking is ample. Overall, the hotel was average and we'd probably stay there again. However, although I'm not an overly picky person, there were a few noticable problems.

Our "check in" went very smoothly and the employees at the front desk were polite and efficient. The Lobby was large and clean. Our room was on the 3rd floor and the elevator seemed to take longer than expected to get to the first floor. The wood work inside the elevator needed to be repaired as there was a noticable amount of graffiti scratched into the wood. Upon our arrival to the 3rd floor, the first thing we noticed as we got off the elevator, was the strong odor of cigarette smoke. We later learned the floor was divided into half smoking and half non-smoking sections. The hotel should have mentioned this when we asked for non-smoking accommodations. Smokers in non-smoking rooms would use the vending room to smoke in...you guessed it, it is located right next to the elevators. As we walked down the hallway, the odor became less noticable. Upon opening the door to the room, the first thing I noticed was the carpet was badly frayed where in was seamed together just a step into the room. We went into the room and noticed it was very large and very clean. Also, there wasn't any cigarette odor. The bathroom was large and again, very clean with plenty of towels and washcloths provided. Unfortunately there were two cigarette burns on the edge of the acrylic-cast tub and the bathroom door, which appeared to be recently painted, need a second coat because ther were allot of areas missed with the first coat. As for sleeping comfort, the mattress on the kingsize bed was hard.

The next morning, we decided to have breakfast at the hotel. We entered and were told to sit where we liked. Even though the place was not that busy, it took approximately ten minutes for someone to come over to our table. We were told we had our choice of either a continental breakfast, buffett style or ordering off the menu. We decided to order off the menu. Big mistake. Afeter another ten minute wait, we ordered. Nothing elaborate, French Toast and eggs, then we waited....and waited. Finally, after approximately thirty minutes, three cups of coffee and two glasses of orange juice, our food arrived. The waitress did apologized for the delay and our meal was on the house. Obviously, they need more wiat staff and better communication with the kitchen.

Check-out went as smoothly as check-in.

Good value - nice and clean!

by TripAdvisor Member Eric-A95

My fiancee and I stayed here while visiting the Mystic area. Priceline gave us this place. We were initially annoyed that we weren't staying right in Mystic, but found that this hotel, just a couple exits down I-95, was a very pleasant stay. We had a newly renovated room, which was very comfortable. We also took the $10 shuttle to Mohican Sun, which was a nice deal. Parking seemed limited, but we had a spot right out front. The staff was very pleasant as well. I'd stay here again.

do not book through hotwire

by TripAdvisor Member alanzowilliam

Upon arrival and booking through hotwire, We requested a non smoking room. After checking in and going to the room, the room was full of smoke and stunk and very dirty. I call the main desk and spoke to the manager on duty. He told me since I booked through hotwire there was nothing he could do.
Even if they would have changed our room, the rooms are smelly, dirty.

Just Dont Call The Front Desk.......

by TripAdvisor Member ALECIAINBOSTON

i was comming from boston to enjoy the wkd @ mohegan sun, the BEST casino and decided to book this hotel because it looked nice, and lets face it, it was the only non-motel around.

i requested a newer room (thanks tripadvisor) and the room was great! nice fluffy bed, and i usually stay at ritz's, so for me to compare them to their beds, trust me, radisson has nice beds!

the room was huge and hotel was easy to get around. free parking. kind of a sketchy, boring neighborhood, but thats ok!

Off to mohegan sun (which is 20 mins away) had a great time!

but here's where the fun began,,,,,,,on our way back to hotel, we got lost. so i call the # at the front desk.....no anwser,,,we pull over...wait....ten mintues later, no answer....now im super lost. theres nowhere to pull over.

LOL i kept calling and calling and got no anwser. granted it was 4am, but we found our way and when we walked in there was a girl sitting at the front desk! WTF.....i was too tired to deal with it, so i went to sleep.

however, i did call and complain the next day and the manager asked me what i wanted him to do. HA! i said, you tell me... so he took 25% off my stay which was origianally $ 155.

all in all, it was a nice hotel-too far away from mohegan, and you better not get lost!

some thingsd dont change

by TripAdvisor Member nycvegas

AS previous posters stated this place needs help. I arrived and had requested a king bed and but the manage stated that hotel was booked sold. It was only 2:30PM and I doubted all rooms were occupied because when we went to our assigned room ,staff was still cleaning rooms and the parking lot was 30 % occupied. I pointed thisd out to manager and he provided no assistance. I kept reservation because I was going to gamble at Mohegan Sun. The hotel' s parking lot in back borders the hood The front is desolate with cars passing. occasionally but the mananger stated that hotel was in a tourist area .Request a renovated room because they'll put you in a room with an old bed. All things considered I had a good nights sleep but don't look for amenities or charming surroundings.

Could have been a whole lot better

by TripAdvisor Member marian13

I booked our stay at the Radisson New London a few days before arriving. I called the hotel to see if I could get a room with 2 beds and the fun began. I called the hotel number and the phone rang and rang. I went to the Radisson web site and called customer service and was told that since I booked through Priceline, I would have to speak to the hotel directly. I called and when I did finally get through, the person on the phone asked me to call back at another time because she had 20 people in front of her waiting to check in. I called back the next day and was told that they were changing their computer systems and could not access my reservation at that time.

We arrived in New London around 1:30 pm and drove over to the Radisson. Let me first say that if this is a hotel bordering the "hood" -- you have never been to the hood. This is a quiet neighborhood not in the center of everything, but fine for an overnight stay. I went to the front desk to see if we could check in as the hotel parking lot was nearly empty and while asking, someone jumped out of the side office to let the front desk person know that no one could check in before 3 pm "due to the computer system change in progress." This was the same person who said this to me on the phone as I recognized her voice. Although I did mind since it was hot and we just wanted to unwind for a second in our room, we decided to go get lunch. We went to a nearby Brooklyn Deli across from the Nathan Hale schoolhouse and had a great time.

When we came back, we waited until 3 pm and checked in. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask for a renovated room. The room was OLD and the beds were so close to the floor it was hysterical. Although they advertise the Sleep Number bed, the old rooms do not have any nor any type of amenities. One of the telephones did not work because it was not connected to anything. We had to ask for additional pillows because the ones in the room were as flat as pancakes. Made me wish I had brought my own as I started to think about how often they change them and if they were laden with dust mites. The room was significantly larger than the Radisson in Providence where we stayed the night before, but the difference in customer service and quality cannot compare. I would gladly stay in the Radisson Providence again, but not here.

To make matters worse, when I got home I noticed a charge from this hotel to my American Express card for $82.88. Considering the hotel was prepaid and we charged nothing to our room, this is an obvious error on their part, which they should never have done. Disappointing experience overall.

Wow, awesome hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Travelsalot777

I was extremely stressed out when I read all the negative reviews about this hotel. It was the only hotel that I could find that was within my budget, Mystic hotels are rediculously priced, we just needed a bed to sleep in.
When I checked in the girl at the desk was so sweet and pleasant, she gave us directions and chatted very easily. We went up to our room and it was clean, the bathrooms are great, they just installed those new curvy rods and the beds, awesome. I have never slept so good on a hotel bed before.
We had drinks and apps in the bar, great and breakfast the next morning was wonderful. They had a buffet that was extensive, which my husband had and I ordered an omlet, best hotel food I have ever had.
I don't know why people complain about the location, sure it's not in a high class neighboorhood, but it's easy to get to, near everything and for the price, perfect in my book.
All I can say is "WOW" I would definitely stay there again.

Comments