Deacon Timothy Pratt B And B

325 Main St, Old Saybrook, CT 06475

More about Deacon Timothy Pratt B And B

I Wouldn't Stay Here Again

by TripAdvisor Member emilee_leblanc

The Pratt House is on Main Street; it is noisy early in the morning. Our mattress was hard and was covered with annoying plastic sheeting. The bed linens were of mediocre quality and the towels were so worn that I would have been embarrassed to have given them to guests in my own home. The bathroom was clean, but not sparkly. If you stay in the soda-fountain building, you have to walk past a washer and dryer and up a narrow staircase, that has wires running along the edge, to get to the bedrooms. The dining room and living room of the property are lovely and the fireplaces work. (We were not shown any firewood, but managed to find some by looking around the house.) Although the living-room seating was chosen more for looks than for comfort, it is a nice place to sit.
I like a simple breakfast, but what we were served was inadequate and of poor quality. A tiny portion of fruit in a plain Pyrex custard cup, juice, coffee and tea, and two sweets that one suspected were made with Bisquick. No toast, yogurt, cold cereal or anything that wasn't overwhelmingly sweet and high in fat.
The owners were largely absent during our stay. In fact, we never saw anyone except at arrival and breakfast; keys were taped on the front door for some arriving guests. Pratt House has four bicycles that guests can use. This is a nice touch. They are not in good repair (all the tires were flat) but, after about 20 minutes of basic maintenance, were very adequate for the flat terrain.

Really a Bed and Bun

by TripAdvisor Member coremanWestHartford

We stayed in the Old English room which was cozy with a gas fireplace and included a bathroom with two person jacuzzi. The price was reasonable and the town (Old Saybrook) is great for shopping, dining (Jack's American Bistro), and nice views of the shore a couple of miles away.

As for breakfast... Unless you want a bun (muffin or hot cross), or a dried up scone you better head out. We went to Pat's Kountry Kitchen the second day with good results. They really should call the place an Inn and make it a self serve continental breakfast. Calling it a B&B is a stretch.

Nice enough

by TripAdvisor Member KirkcollmWp

We stayed at the B&B for the weekend in the Sunrise Room with the massage package.

We arrived after the Inn keeper had left, and found an envelope on the front door. It was very quaint inside, although other reviews were correct in saying, if you have trouble with stairs take the bottom room. As is normal in an old colonial house the stairs are steep and narrow.

The room was very clean, and there was a firelog ready to be lit in our fireplace.

The inn is on a main street, so you will hear cars driving by - we are from the city and it probably didn't affect us as much as others. But it is nice that it is on a main street as you can get to the water and walk downtown easily. So it depends on the level of quietness vs. ease of getting places you are looking for.

Breakfast the next morning was blueberry pancakes and sausage. It was good, but you won't get a choice in the morning so be forewarned. The next morning we had frittattas and sausage.

The massage that was set up was nice, though the masseuse talked the whole time.

Overall, this is a nice place to go. don't expect perfection or the most perfect romantic getaway, but it is nicer than other B&Bs I have stayed at down in that area.

Enchanting Treetop Suite

by TripAdvisor Member maureenhh

We stayed at the Timothy Pratt for two nights in April. It's on a Main Street, so there isn't a lot of space between neighboring properties. We were greeted by the friendly owner who gave us a tour of the house and showed us to our room. I wanted to find one of the oldest b&b's in the area and this fit the bill, the original house having been built in 1746.

We stayed in the Treetop Suite that has a really beautiful poster bed draped with golden gossamer curtains and jewel-colored comforter set by an expansive window that spans the entire wall. There is a thermostat controlled gas stove (far preferable to lugging wood up three flights) for heat and a comforting gushing sound when it clicked on, and a lovely ambiance, since it was a very stormy weekend. This is the only room without a jacuzzi, and the shower is pretty cramped, but it has a kitchenette with microwave, fridge, coffee maker, teas, and supplies such as wine glasses and opener, that were handy way up there in the Treetop.

Breakfasts were definitely substantial. Banana Fosters was on the menu, and also apple fritters. Pat made a few calls for me in the morning to check hours, etc. of places I wanted to visit as there'd been a bad storm and roads were washed out. Very helpful.

The only disappointment I had, and it wasn't that big of a deal, was that I was told we would receive a bottle of wine from the local Chamard vineyard, and we actually got a very inexpensive wine from Argentina. We took a drive to Chamard and picked up a few bottles ourselves.

There are many little shops on the street, and it was hard to pick a place to have supper. We stopped into the Penny Lane Pub, walking distance, on one of the nights.

Very nice stay.

Enjoy old homes

by TripAdvisor Member PaulNj

We enjoyed the quiet area the B&B is located at as well as the easy access to delicious ice cream next store. Everyone is friendly and helpful and the people staying at the B&B, as is the case with most B&Bs were friendly. The room was great except that is remained chilly (the covers were extra thick though and they had blankets you could add as cover) and the fireplace was just a chemical log. I know other rooms have a gas fireplace which is where we will stay next time. The price was right ($99) a week night if you note it on the internet. The breakfast was probably the most disappointing. We expected something hot and basically got a continental breakfast instead. The food served was great though.

Relaxing historic retreat

by TripAdvisor Member teachsuzanne

This charming historic little Inn is nestled conveniently near the fun little town of Old Saybrook, which has several good restaurants and a terrific little healthfood store we kept returning to. The Inn itself is housed in 2 buildings. Our room was located over the old fashioned ice cream parlor/sweet shop, which has limited hours. Our room had a fireplace and a large jacuzzi and the bed was very comfortable. It was a very homey room. The Innkeeper arranged for a gifted masseur to come to our room, which was a great treat. I prefer less dense pillows than we were offered. Breakfasts were good and I appreciated the fruit set out each day, as well as some of the baked goods. However, I would have preferred fewer baked choices in favor of more healthy options, such as the yogurt offered only one morning, oatmeal, or other lower fat options. I asked for skim milk on the first evening, and though the innkeeper said she would add it to her shopping the next morning, none ever appeared in the guest fridge. We enjoyed playing cards in the evening in the main house and finding coffee, port wine and fresh baked cookies as we played. We would definitely recommend this lovely little Inn!

A weekend to remember

by TripAdvisor Member Kitty238

This was our first time at a Bed & Breakfast and the staff made sure that we had a great time. When we got there, we were quickly greeted and given a tour of the place (including the cookie jar that is always filled with homemade cookies). We went there to celebrate our first Valentines Day together. With the overall ambiance, I am sure that it will be a weekend that we will always remember.

Peaceful, relaxing, romantic Bed and Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Wanderlust1917

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast. My first reaction to the house was "what a find". Our room was beautifully decorated in rich colors and textures, complete with a real fireplace. The bathroom was immaculately clean and well supplied. It offered not only a shower, but a large oversized spa tub to soak in. While the room supplied a television, we never watched it. The breakfast they offered, was beautifully presented and served. The thing that I noticed most about this old house, was that it was so quiet. I assumed because of the age of the home we would hear the usual creaking, people walking up or down the stairs, the front door closing, etc... We heard nothing but peace and quiet. I can only assume the house is very well insulated, to provide so much quiet. Would I go back? Definitely. We're planning to try each and every room they offer, and there are quite a few. I talked with some of the other guests, and they said the same things about their rooms. They're beautiful, peaceful, romantic and very relaxing. Great place to stay in a beautiful little Oceanside town. Must see!!!

Loved the docor and the staff was very friendly

by TripAdvisor Member Ermados

My husband and I stayed from Friday to Sunday at the Deacon Timothy Pratt. This was our first time staying in a bed and breakfast. The inn was very clean and the library had a very nice romantic atmosphere about it with the fireplace and jacuzzi. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was delicious. We wish we could have stayed longer. We would definitely consider going back.

Charming step-back-in-time, amazing hosts, & walking distance to the sea!

by TripAdvisor Member KDCorrespondent

A gem of a place, and a wonderful experience from start to finish. Hardwood floors, fireplaces or stoves in every room, antique four-posters, the works -- with the bells of a 1700-era church tolling the hour softly in the distance.
The owner offered me a tour of all the available rooms, as much to show off the wonderful antiques as to make sure I got what I wanted. He showed me menus from the town's best restaurants, then dropped me off at one, as it was a chilly night --right next to Catherine Hepburn's favorite grocery store. The innkeeper was equally accomodating, whipping up eggs and bacon (usually the weekend, rather than weekend fare) when I revealed I was on Atkins. I wish I had another excuse to visit Old Saybrook, just to stay there!

Comments