1612 North DuPont Highway, New Castle, Delaware, 19720, United States

Old New Castle DelawareOld New Castle Delaware

Travel Tips for New Castle

New Castle County

by davecallahan

The city of New Castle is in New Castle County but it is not the county seat. That honor goes to the city of Wilmington.

New Castle County has about 500000 people and is by far the most populace county in Delaware (there are only three counties). It is also the most hectic with many interstates and major thoroughfares and lots of traffic all the time.

The city of New Castle is somewhat away from the main traffic routes but it still gets its share of work-time traffic jams especially during the tourism season.

U-turn

by davecallahan

We have very few of these in our part of New York. Legal U-Turns, that is.
In Delaware in general, on most of the interstate highways, the center divider keeps you from turning left into the entrance way for many businesses. So you have to drive by the business that is on your left-hand side and go to the next signal light where there is usually a U-Turn sign.
At these u-turns, you turn left and keep turning so that you end up going back the direction you came but on the other side of the center barrier.
Now in most instances, opposing traffic pass each other on the left (driver side to driver side). But at these legal U-Turns opposing traffic make u-turns by passing with passenger side facing pasenger side.
A little different but it serves the purpose. You get to the side of the road where the business is and turn right into the driveway.

So this is where I work ...

by April1985

"I'm a workin girl"

Yep, I work in New Castle. I have only worked here for a week, so I am still exploring. Now, I live in Atlantic City, NJ. So, it is a long commute to New Castle. But, I take Rt. 40 all the way there, so I can beat traffic on the AC Expressway. And it works! Sometimes I get stuck behind a slow truck or something, but other than that I'm fine! I also get to see all the cows and other farm animals in western NJ. But back to Delaware.... I got a job working as a temp for a very well known company. I am working a temp to perm position, which mean, after 4 months, if they like me, I will be there graphic designer, full time. (yep, I'm a graphic designer). Well, this obviously means I will be living in Delaware. (if anyone knows of the nice place to live in Delware, you know, low crime rate, pretty, friendly people) please let me know! I would love to hear about it, and do some exploring myself! So everyday I get a 1 hour lunch break, and decide to check out some of the resturants around the area. They are mostly deli's and family pizza shops , that I guess you could say the locals would go to . There are plenty of McDonalds and Burger King's here . But I could get that at home, and I really dont need the extra calories! So this page is going to be updated a lot ! So stay tuned and check out all the new places I find !

Town with contrasts

by kooka3

"Welcome to New Castle!"

New Castle is about 10 minutes south of Wilmington, and worth a few hours to look around if you have time.

"Historic section vs. the Strip Malls"

When you drive through New Castle on your way to someplace else, it's easy to just see the ugly strip-mall section of town. However, if you have time, you should definitely make time to get to the Historic Section, because it's gorgeous! There are some nice shops, pubs, historic buildings, and the water front park area.

The Entombment Of Elifabeth C.W. Van Tweenhuyfen

by billus

I suggested to Dr Mortimer that the late Elifabeth, though Quaker by birth, had practised the Episcopalian Faith since our Betrothal, and I would find vicarious Comfort and Delight in an Episcopalian Burial Plot. Dr Mortimer instructed me to sign an Oath to the effect that Elisabeth had renounced her Quaker Confession, and we should proceed to the selection of a fitting Head-stone.

Of the many attracktive Head-stones on Offer, I was most enchanted by the rendering of the winged Skull flying Heaven-wards, hovering in the Netherworld . I was also most receptive to Dr Mortimer's Suggestion, of a sturdy wrought-Iron Fence, encapsulating the Plot.

This large Tombe was my preference, and though not Economical, I decided that I should purchase a large Sarcophogas of similar Proportions for my future wife, Christine, to whom I was engaged upon the Expiration of my beloved Elifabeth, R.I.P.

Upon Inspection of the surrounding Internment Ground, Burial Plots, Gravestones, Final Refting Places, &c, I resolved to Purchafe a large number of Sites for my later ufe. Af the weather had turned Blustery and we were bitten by the Mosque-Quitoes en masfe, Dr Mortimer took hif leave and retired to the Joint and Flagon for a Joint of Lamb and a Flagon of Ale.

I noticed that the town was eerily depopulated and infused with the ever-present smell of Lard, Ether, Bacon, and Sea-silt. I resolved to retrieve the Horfe and Carriage and intern them at Lodgingf above the Joint and Flagon.

Approached New Caftle Common, I was seized with Apprehension when I returned to the hitching Post where I had lashed my Horfe, Easy Money and the carriage containg Elisabeth's Remains. To my Consternation, both had gone missing and the remaining Lard-bafted hot Roaft Turkey with Stuffing had been thiev-ed..

I alighted at the State House to inform the Constabulary. The Doorf were barred and bolted, and not a Soul waf to be feen on the ftreetf. Infufed with Panick, I dispatched myself to Dr Mortimer at the aforementioned Lodgingf above the Joint and Flagon, from whence an aroma of grilled meat was emanating.

To my great Vexation, the Door was locked and though I perfifted in knocking furioufly therepon no anfwer could be summoned. Yet muffled tones could be heard singing "To Anacreon in Heaven" inside. Dr Mortimer did not return after one and one half Hourf, and the Horfe, Carriage, Coffin containing my late beloved Elifabeth R.I.P.and Hot Oven Baked Lard bafted Roaft Turkey with Stuffing were no where to be seen.

Comments