100 Continental Dr, Newark, Delaware, 19713-4301, United States
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Expedia.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Wilmington/Christiana

Very comfortable beds, incredible loud a/c in room though

by TripAdvisor Member Girloadventure

This is an attractive hotel in the suburbs which happens to be pet friendly. While they seem to play up an "estate" feel, in reality the property is similar to a suburban office park but it does boast a pond with gorgeous swans and other waterfowl. Nice grassy areas can be used to walk dogs or let kids run. We enjoyed the bar area which was typical Hitlon, lovely woods, comfortable wing back chairs. The bartender was very professional and provided great service and kept tables clean and available promptly. The facility is comfortable and clean. The beds are very nice, with down duvet, cotton sheets, etc. and our rooms was a pleasant sized. There is an excellent breakfast buffet which they charge $13 per person for unless you book a room with breakfast or get it added as a Hilton Rewards member. Two problems during our stay: On Friday evening, there was a herd of children (approx. 6 to 8 boys who looked to be around 9 or 10 years old) who were unsupervised by any adult, roaming the hotel corridor right off the lobby. At one point, they were running up and down the corridor, pounding their hands on walls as they passed rooms and yelling. Then they seemed to be playing a loud, rowdy game of tackle football for a while. We saw them when we went to the bar around 7:30 pm. They were still there, running amok Lord of the Flies style, when we went to our toom at 9:30 or 10 pm. Luckily, we were on the highest floor (there are four floors), well away from them. We heard a number of folks complaining about these rowdy boys whose parents could not apparently be found.
The second problem: when we finally got to our room after dodging the boy gauntlet, we collapsed into bed, exhausted from a day of driving. It was a warm evening, so the air conditioning was on. When it the cooling unit actually kicked on, it sounded like a truck roaring into the room. We were awakened by the a/c several times in the night. It appeared to work properly, it was just a loud unit.

Came back again!

by TripAdvisor Member BermudaNative

Enjoyed yet another return visit to what we tell friends is "our Estate". :)

It is wonderful to see familiar faces like Ivy and Denise at check-in, Ron in the Hunt Club bar and the bubbly Iris-Anne at night in the Brasserie Grille.

The swans and ducks have a new "Master" and we enjoyed the Swan Feeding event under his leadership. They've replaced the wine event with a martini one, sign of the times I guess, but the peach martini was refreshing.

Our favorite room had been renovated since our last visit. It has a very sleek and functional look, enjoyed the curved shower rod (need to get one of those for home) and the upgraded linnen. Our main concern was that the mattress wouldn't be the same. It wasn't, it's better! Like a Marriott bed. Very nice.

Only downside is the evening rush our traffic, appears to have gotten more congested lately. So we waited it out with Ron in the Hunt Club prior to heading for Delaware Park.

I believe we were there the same dates as the previous reviewer, as we too experienced the young boys running amok unattended. Hotels shouldn't be used as babysitters, parenting styles these days amaze me. Another reason we pay the extra to be on the private 4th floor. Worth every penny.

more like a glorified motel than a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member simmie17

Where to begin. I booked this hotel as a hhonors member the day before as had some business in the area and thought my teenager and I could have a nice getaway. The website said only king rooms were available. I booked direct for a king deluxe on the executive level and was assured I could get a roll away. I prefer that level when I stay at a Hilton or Doubletree.

Upon check in- no one to help with bags- you do it yourself- I was advised there were no rollaways as a soccer tournament was in town and tons of kids were on the premises. I was told I could get a regular double (surprisingly none had been available on the wesbite) and was assured, as I had been when I called, that the room was wireless.

I was pretty angry but the front desk still honored the breakfast( of which we never partook) ) and drink coupons.

The room was very clean, but needed more towels. A maid did bring more promptly. However, the wireless did not work. The front desk had me call to the service they use (out of the country) and I was told by the service that because of hotel renovations, the wireless would not work in that room.

I returned to the front desk and inquired why I was not told of this at check in and they told me they thought the problem had been fixed. They admitted the wireless router had been turned off during renovations. I believe they should have made this known when they took reservations. They offered to move me to a smaller room, but I insisted on being comped for something instead-and they did- full dinner and a movie. With that I had no complaints. However, the AC in the room was also not working, and they assured me they'd fix it.

The maintenance guy did try to fix it- very pleasant person- but in the end, it did not function properly at night. It appeared no one had checked on it in a while.

The dinner we had was outstanding- very good waiter and the food and house manager was also very accommodating. The staff appear to be on the whole very pleasant and do try to correct the problems in this facility.

There are apparently extensive renovations going on, causing internet and other problems, (our room phone did not work properly also) and at a min. this hotel should tell guests they could occur, rather than let them find out for themselves. Further, they need to be more diligent re the guests. Children ran rampant in the halls, unsupervised and while we were eating dinner, a couple from the wedding at the hotel that night, changed their kid's diapers in full view of the restaurant, laying the kid down on the floor in the Conservatory area. That's ridiculous- an employee said it was because there are no changing tables in the bathroom. The couple could still have found a less public area to do that.

This is certainly not a Hilton on the level of the one in Short Hills, NJ for ex., or the Hotel Roanoke in Va., but more on par with a Hampton Inn, if a Hampton Inn had a restaurant and bar. Kudos to the staff for trying to correct problems, and to the excellent restaurant, but the owner of this facility really needs to 'get it together.'

the best hotel in the world

by TripAdvisor Member robert_c_cheng

the hotel is best because the room is new, and the bed is very comfy and i have good dream.

they gave me free pop corn that i can pop in room microwave.
they gave me apples free.
they gave me travel guide book.
front desk people remember my name.
the pool is big and is nice.
lake has swans.
close to the casino and race track where i watch horse racing.
there is a old country buffet and border.

Nice Place

by TripAdvisor Member Mover77

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks during September on a business trip. The room was very spacious and clean. Good tv selection. There are good laundry services at the hotel for self use. Breakfast was not included in the room price and was 15/USD for buffet style not very good value if you are only having cereal of fruit. There was a completmentary bus for people who had no transport but we found the morning driver very grumpy but highly amusing - you need to have the booking made the night before to ensure he took you even if the bus was empty if it wasn't in the book you couldn't get on!! In general the staff were very kind and accomodating in bringing you where you needed to go as we discovered that it was dangerous to get across the road to shops and restaurants. The hotel is off a freeway which is not what we expected given the pictures - we imagined it to be down some country lane. All in all it was a good stay.

Be glad to come back

by TripAdvisor Member lubushkin

Ryan was our Event Specialist - she was outstanding - helping us with information on the changes to the museums and gardens since our last visit and how to best see everything on a two-day visit.

Everything and everyone at the Hilton was great. The new swan captain is an absolute jem. Quite a presonality!

Restaurant staff was excellent - efficient - had dinner and breakfast and both were nice events. Perfectly prepared dinner, good wine selection without it being overwhelming for the mid-level wine enthusiasts we are. Suggest breakfast from the menu over the buffet.

We have stayed here 2-3 times a year for the past five years and it is nice to see some of the same faces each time. Rare in the service industry.

The re-decoration of the hotel looks wonderful. New beds are truly a dream. We noticed iproved lighting in the room and better service from the wireless internet than most hotels we stay in.

Traffic around the area is always a challenge. This time around we were able, with the help of Ryann, to use local back roads and avoid the crowded interstate.

The holiday decorations were beautiful - very festive.

Good choice in the Newark Delaware area.

Our two night stay at the Hilton Wilmington/Christiana was prompted by a family gathering, this was for us a leisure trip. Our online hotel choices were many but we opted for the Priceline "name your own price" deal. Our bid was generated and accepted the day prior to arrival and we were pleasantly surprised that this property was available. The fact that we arrived during the "off season" when demand is low may account for the acceptance of our relatively low bid. The hotel is accurately described on reviews written here prior to ours, so our expectations were met in that regard - I will comment that we had an excellent experience and that we were pleased to discover that the negative comments we had read about were quite undeserved. Our room, a Deluxe King was spotless and spacious. It was equipped with a small 'fridge and microwave. In room wireless G and wired internet , both free. Obviously renovated recently, it was like a new hotel in every aspect. The staff was pleasant and efficient. Yes, it is located in an upscale industrial park but compared to the other hotels in the area the location was not only convenient but desirable. A full service hotel with high standards is what we found. A solid three + stars in my book. No complaints.

Nothing Special - Adquate at Best

by TripAdvisor Member WISCGirl

Overall the hotel is just fine for a night or two on a business trip or a weekend get away with family. Rooms are clean and activities are numerous. But we didn't feel the hotel and its staff really went above and beyond their job descriptions. So adequate is the best description and not really worthy of the "Hilton" name. More Holiday Inn....

We stayed here for almost 20 days for business and found the hotel to be complacent in several areas.

The heater in our room stopped working during the cold spell when high temps only reached 20F. It took the hotel 3-nights to finally fix the problem. Never did they offer to find me another room and it was took much hassle to pick up all my stuff and move elsewhere.

We reserved and paid for an executive room which was supposed to include a microwave. The room we received didn't have a microwave so we of course thought we got a standard room in error. It was at that time that the hotel disclosed that the executive rooms (with their $40 cost difference) were simply the standard rooms with mini-fridge and microwaves. The hotel brought in a microwave but we then felt overcharged.

Lastly, the hotel seemed kinda stingy with amenities. It was a real hassle checking in late at night and wanting to take a shower to find there was no soap. The front desk brought up soap but it took a long time.

Problems with housekeeping

by TripAdvisor Member suzchsh

I stayed here for a wedding. Called ahead for a rollaway cot. When I checked in, it was there. When I left for dinner, asked for it to be brought to the room. Was not there when I came back. Called front desk, was NOT helpful. Later found out there were "communications" problems with housekeeping and that I was not the first person with this problem.

Same problem the next day I stayed.

Hotel is nice, but service is lousy!

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TAmember10

We stayed here for one night in June 07, second visit. The property is well maintained and quite welcoming. It has a country feel which is in line with the theme. We stayed on the fourth floor, executive level (Hilton honors) and the room was quite spacious and clean. It appears they always have a wedding going on each weekend, but that did not seem to interfere with the rest of the guests. Property seems to atttract relatively mature crowd.

Check in was very smooth and the reception staff was very friendly and welcoming. We enjoyed the swan feeding 'ceremony', and had a nice swim at the pool in the evening. The breakfast was just average, and a little bit pricey.
We spent an afternoon at Longwood gardens, couple miles away - wonderful.

Overall nice property, will always return.

Comments