Avenue Inn & Spa

33 Wilmington Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, 19971, United States

More about Avenue Inn & Spa

Decent beach hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Micky112

Just stayed at the Avenue Inn for my annual Rehoboth beach weekend with my mom and two sisters. Normally we stay at the Bellmoor, which is gorgeous, but costs twice the price of the Avenue Inn and is a block further from the beach.

Since we could get two nights at the Avenue Inn for the cost of one room at the Bellmoor, be a block closer to the beach and still have a spa on the premises, we decided to give this hotel a try.

When we arrived they had a check-in parking area along with luggage carts, which was very convenient. The lobby was inviting with a fire burning and soft music playing. Decor...I would say a poor man's Hampton Inn. Nothing to write home about, but in comparison it to other BEACH hotels, much nicer than many places I've stayed on the mid-Atlantic coast! Check in went smoothly, and after bringing the luggage up I just moved my car into the downstairs parking garage.

We got a corner room, a deluxe with two queens and fireplace. The fireplace was obviously gas, nothing terribly exciting but a nice touch. We liked having a couch in the room since there were four of us. Beds were comfy, and there was also a small fridge and microwave. There was a VCR as well. Everything looked very clean and well-maintained, although since it's not a brand new hotel the bathroom left a little to be desired. My sisters disagreed and thought it was fine, and I admit I'm a little picky when it comes to hotel bathroom cleanliness! On the surface it looked great, maybe it was just the age of the place that made me feel it wasn't the best it could be.

The breakfast in the morning was just okay, but who's complaining because it's included in the price. A nice touch was the all-day access to coffee and tea in the dining room after breakfast was over.

Another nice touch was the wine and cheese hour in the early evening - several large carafes of red and white wine. We sat in front of the lobby fireplace and chatted over one too many glasses of wine - ha-ha - in deference to the other people in the lobby, we moved our party upstairs! : ) Needless to say we went out for a later dinner, and when we got back there were fresh baked chocolate chip cookies on a plate in the lobby. Yum!

Now on to the spa - I will admit that I wasn't expecting sheer luxury, just based on the rest of the hotel. But wow, it was much nicer than the Bellmoor's spa! It actually has a storefront and sells tons of beauty products, plus many dedicated massage rooms and manicure rooms. VERY nice, and a very professional staff. The only minor downside was that during my facial I got the sell line for their products - I got the lecture on how I was using all the wrong skincare products and an offer to be shown their products. The norm at spas, I know, but kind of annoying. I was not at all pressured afterward, though, and the facial was wonderful. My sisters enjoyed their massages as well.

All in all, a very nice stay...since we went off-season, I'm curious to see what it be like at peak occupancy in the summer....

A nice overnight in Rehoboth!

by TripAdvisor Member mherb

My husband and I just returned from an overnight at The Avenue Inn. We planned a last minute trip and got a two Queen room for $97. It was a decent size room and appeared to be very clean. The staff were very friendly and the hotel is very charming. My only gripes were the breakfast, cookies and wine and cheese they tell you about. We are not extreme early risers and by 9 am most of the breakfast foods were gone. Also, we went to get fresh baked cookies at 8 pm as advertised and arrived about 10 minutes later to find them gone as well. They do offer wine and cheese but it is during most peoples dinner time so we didn't get to enjoy that either. The pool are looked very nice, but unfortunately when we went to use it later last night a family of 6 were pretty much using up the whole area. The hot tub looked nice as well.

great choice

by TripAdvisor Member wcu70

Avenue Inn is in a great location with many amenities. The facility is very clean and welcoming. During my four night stay this May I enjoyed great hospitality which included wine, cheese and crackers every night at 5, followed by chocolate chip cookies at 8.
The rooms were quiet and close to the beach, boardwalk, shops and restaurants.
I would definitely recommend this lodging to anyone.

Can't Wait to Go Back

We found the Avenue Inn & Spa to be delightful. It was more like a large B&B than a hotel. And the furnishings were much nicer than a Motel. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. You should only give the bad reviews that you find on this property a grain of salt. People have a tendency to complain if everything does not go the way they want! The rooms were nicely appointed, but a little dark (could use brigher bulbs to read by). But the location to the beach cannot be beat! Our spa treatments were great. We prefer eggs for breakfast, so we went out each day and had a wonderful breakfast. It's all in your attitude. We loved the chocolate chip cookies in the evenings. Our car battery died and the staff even looked up Honda dealerships for us and lent us a portable jump box so we could jump start the car. We look forward to returning soon.

FYI - Breakfast at the Avenue

For the folks who have been reading about the breakfast at the Avenue Inn being a little on the skimpy side...

I have stayed at this hotel MANY times. it's the only place I will take my family in Rehoboth. Great staff, super clean, classy decor, wine, cheese, cookies, shower, underground parking, etc.

Anyway, up until two years ago the Avenue had a SUPER breakfast with eggs, home fries, all the good traditional restaurant type fare.

That was the problem.

The restaurant that is located across the street sicked their lawyers on the Avenue because they have a permit to be a hotel, not a restaurant. The restaurant claimed it was taking away from their potential business from Avenue Inn guests.

Just thought you might want to know that before this happened, the breakfast at the Avenue was as excellent as you read regarding everything else at this property.

If you stay there, you'll be back. 'nuf said.

won't go anywhere else

by TripAdvisor Member Swaney

I have stayed at a few places in Rehoboth and although someone out there will udoubtably say that there are better places to stay, I will disagree when considering value and overall experience. First, if someone has a problem with their parking policy, (please park elsewhere before checkin and after check-out) they really need to think how much it would suck to be a paying guest and have to find parking on the street because some loafer didn't want to move their car so they could save a few quarters and squeeze out an extra beach day. Secondly, the breakfast at the Avenue is more than you need. Why would you want to fill up on an extreme breakfast when you have great restaurants all up and down the beach? And actually, we stayed at the Avenue II and were given vouchers for Sammy's restaurant for breakfast. More than we needed and a great touch.

What I loved about my stay was the great staff, free wine hour(s), internet in the lobby, free beach chairs, location, cleanliness, and the actual room was quite spacious and quiet. Usually, at the beach, I expect a room to smell a bit musty (even at the Ritz, this seems to be the norm), but the rooms were quite comfortable and pleasant. The cost is a steal and I hope they don't raise rates b/c I'm writing this. Overall, this was a great beach stay and Avenue had a lot to do with that.

Chris and Emily

Just made reservations to return...

by TripAdvisor Member FFXVA

We just completed our second stay at the Avenue Inn and couldn't wait to make reservations for our third visit later this summer. The hotel is very clean, with nice-sized rooms, a friendly staff, and terrific location, near shops, great restaurants, and not too far from the beach. Our 7-year old loved the indoor pool as well as the freshly baked bedtime cookies. The in-room microwave and refrigerator are a nice convenience. Sure, oceanfront accomodations would be great but most of those hotels have such horrible reviews we haven't been tempted to give them a try since we've been so satisfied with everything at the Avenue Inn.

Rude Sevice at Avenue Inn

Lost our reservations - whenthe problem became clear at the front desk, the employee actually smirked and said "You don't have a room." When I nicely asked what we could do he repeated this statement. Not somewhere we would ever go again!

everything we needed!

by TripAdvisor Member zieglerb

We just got back from our 3-night stay at the Avenue Inn and found it to be everything we needed - traveling w/ a 6 mo. old and almost 3 yr old is daunting, but the accommodations and staff at the inn made our vacation as pleasant as possible. Free beach chairs and carrier on wheels, the wine and cheese hours, cookies, hefty and tasty continental breakfast (one day w/ quiche!), excellent in-the-middle-of-everything location, kind and helpful service -- we could not ask for more! We plan to go back!

Bed and Breakfast Feel

by TripAdvisor Member jodaley

We just returned from a three night stay at the Avenue, I had booked the hotel after walking by it last year, the window boxes caught my eye. My husband, myself and my two girls 13 & 15 loved it. the room was very large,( we got the King bed with the Queen pull-out sofa/2 balcony room.) and very clean, the pool was right next to us, we didn't hear one bit of noise though, and the pool was open until 11:00. The hotel definitely has a Bed and Breakfast feel. The lobby is great, we loved the breakfast, the wine and cheese and the cookies. They had the internet available in the lobby as well. the room was very clean and even had Crabtree and Evelyn bath products The staff was very friendly and helped with dinner plans- we ate at the new Claws- within walking distance, my kids really loved the atmosphere there- if you like crab or like us crab legs you will like this restaurant.

We have stayed in Rehoboth many times and this hotel is a one of the best values- If you rent a cottage close to the beach it will cost triple, and some of the other hotels are more like motels, very loud, not very quaint . The Avenue Inn is close to the shops, restaurants and the beach, we even let are kids walk to a few shops by themselves, they loved that! I can't say enough about this hotel, we will go back in a heartbeat