5209 Concord Pike, Wilmington, DE 19803

Satisfaction Poor

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Wilmington

Madison Street entrance to mall and parking lotMadison Street entrance to mall and parking lot

I-95I-95

area overviewarea overview

A sstaircase in the Winterthur mansionA sstaircase in the Winterthur mansion

Travel Tips for Wilmington

Brandywine State Park

by dlandt

About 7-8 miles west of Wilmington is a state forest. Its a center of local recreation. I myself had a great time watching kids catch frogs. It would have been better if it was more in bloom, but it was still pretty. Watch those narrow roads going in though.

St. Anthonys Italian Festival

by Rhondaj

Every June, St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Wilmington, holds a week long Italian Festival. This year it was June 13-19.
The Italian Festival began in 1975, with a small group of parents working to raise money for the parish school. Now the festival is gigantic!

It is largely spread out over several blocks in the area surrounding St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church at Ninth and
Du Pont streets.

Open weekdays 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.; weekends 2:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Admission is free.

Parking is hard to find. We wound up paying 5 bucks about 4 blocks away to some guy who I think was illegally using a closed for the evening business's parking lot...

When our kids were little, we spent a lot of time in the amusement ride section. (called the Midway) This year we walked from one band/cafe area to the next. Sampling food, beer and wine and listening to each of the bands awhile. This year there was a 'disco' band, an 'Abba' style band, an english singing, but italian singers band, (think Frank Sinatra) and our favorite, the italian language singing band. We enjoyed 'translating' italian into english according to the mood of the song and our beer/wine sodden wittiness or lack thereof.

Jumpers

by Rhondaj

Several times a year we get jumpers. People who don't want to live any more. They drive to the top of one of the spans, get out of the car and jump. Only a few have ever not died. Usually the bodies are found right away. Last year a guy did almost land in a boatload of fishermen...

A few months ago this sign started flashing on the road leading to the bridge. I thought it was a last ditch attempt to stop jumpers, but wasn't sure. I had this picture on my homepage. VT member Laura 36035 actually called the number and told me it was a suicide prevention hotline.

We NJ folks say when someone jumps from the going into Delaware bridge (there are two, one each way) that they just can't stand the thought of entering DE. and Delawarians say the same thing when we have a Jersey bridge jumper.

Little Italy

by hochbeam

Wilmington's traditional Italian neighborhood runs down Union and Lincoln Streets from Fourth to Eighth. The smell of 50 years of cheese in Papa's Market (1910 W 6th) recalls an era before supermarkets. His niece's paticceria (Papa's Pastry Shop, 600 N Union) has all the tempting treats you could want.

Good Service, nice view....

by tpangelinan about Water Works Cafe

On a river bank, the view is splendid. The service is usually 4 Star. The food, however was not impressive. My crab cakes were REALLY BAD. Burned, and all bread, no crab. I told the waiter to please take them back, and tell the manager what I think of his bread cakes. Mikes steak was bland, over cooked, and kind of tuff. Did I mention the steak was $30.00? No salad with dinner, shared vegetables and potato, hmmm.
We were not impressed. They gave me a cup of Seafood Bisque for free, and I was hard pressed to find any seafood in that bisque, however the broth and celery were very comforting at the time. The bread was good....but not good enough to ever bring me back there. It was our third visit, and we have noticed a severe decline in the decor and the food each visit. Drinks and dessert, if you dare.

Comments