2707 Sadler Road, Florida, 32034, United States
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Amelia Island

Even the coastal birds await the ferryEven the coastal birds await the ferry

The Mayport, Florida ferry to Amelia IslandThe Mayport, Florida ferry to Amelia Island

Dove of Peace in clouds over this Christian churchDove of Peace in clouds over this Christian church

Stained glass window in Episcopal ChurchStained glass window in Episcopal Church

transportation

by maroonfan

What companies or individuals provide transportation from Jacksonville airport to Amelia Island? What are the rates?
Thanks for your help !

Re: transportation

by squidly2

Here is one option, but it is $84 round trip.

THere is public transportation at the airport, but it goes to downtown Jax.

Travel Tips for Amelia Island

Highrises on the beach

by zrim

I'm not really a fan of hanging out on the beach. A walk along the shore can be nice a couple times a year, but nothing is as boring to me as plopping down in a beach chair and letting the sun do a number on your skin all day long. Give me forests, marshes and jungles anytime.

Then there is the matter of all the people you must share the beach with and these ghastly highrises. I'm sorry, but a penthouse room overlooking a beach and the ocean just does not do it for me. But I guess I'm in the minority with this opinion because obviously people come from all over the nation and even the world to hang out at these beaches. And they pay a stiff tariff in order to have that oceanside perch. Well, they are welcome to it.

Bike Paths

by zrim

Ok. I've been accused of being a little bit grumpy about my stay at the Plantation on AMelia Island. So I will give credit where credit is due. They do have a great system of bike/pedestrian paths. There are seven miles of trails that meander through the sometimes jungle-like property. Bicycles are available for rent at about $25 per day.

Flowers are a welcome sight

by zrim

The Amelia Island Plantation might be a bit tourist, a bit snooty and definitely overpriced, but I must say that the grounds are beautiful. Lots of flowers: azaleas, dogwoods, lilys, magnolia, crape myrtle. All welcome to weary midwestern eyes that have seen nothing but snowscapes over the previous four months.

Amelia Island Golf

by zrim

We stayed at the Amelia Island Plantation which boasts of three golf courses. Our room overlooked the fairway of one of these courses. If you look closely at the photo you can see a building hidden behind the trees across the pond (that was our building).

I did play one round of golf, but not at the Plantation. I played the Golf Club of Amelia Island which was fun, but not worth the $160 that the Ritz Carlton charges its guests for play at the course. I was lucky enough to play with a member.

Tennis Everyone?

by zrim

You don't see a lot of tennis tips on VT--even less tennis tips here than golf tips and believe me there aren't many golf tips either.

But if tennis is your game, you could do much worse than the Amelia Island Plantation. They have twenty-three clay tennis courts. You don't see many clay courts in the U.S.

Each year in the first week of April the Plantation hosts a WTA (Women's Tennis Association) tournament. That was only days after our stay and I went over to the tennis courts to look at the construction crews putting up the big grandstands for the spectators. Fairly big operation to hold such an event.

Comments