227 South Seventh Street, , Florida, 32034, United States

More about Amelia Island

Historic Nassau County CourthouseHistoric Nassau County Courthouse

Palms along waiting line for ferryPalms along waiting line for ferry

"Pirate" roaming the streets....greeting visitors"Pirate" roaming the streets....greeting visitors

Interior of Episcopal ChurchInterior of Episcopal Church

Travel Tips for Amelia Island

Watsu® - Massage in water

by grandmaR

My BIL described this process to us, and Bob's reaction was that I should never ever sign him up for something like this. But my BIL seemed to really like it.

"Litho-Cal-Salt Glow
You will then experience an aromatic body exfoliating treatment with a dual purpose: as the surface of your skin is polished and cleansed, impurities and dead cells are removed. Ionotherapy then commences through the use of a highly therapeutic mixture of the finest sea salts and seaweed directly from Brittany. Your skin surfaces are hydrated and silky-smooth.

"A Brief Rest

"Oligo-Wrap
A warm aromatic liquid seaweed rich in nature's finest oligo-elements is gently applied all over your body. You are then wrapped in a warm cocoon of replenishing comfort.

"Another Brief Rest
As the Oligo-Wrap is completed, you are then invited to choose and enjoy any of our soothing teas or natural juices and relax at our meditation garden.

"Float and Breathe - Dynamics of Breathing in Watsu Pool
Your highly trained professional spa therapist escorts you to Watsu Island where you will experience your first lesson in the art of the proper dynamics of breathing. You are gently immersed in the warm water of the Watsu pool where you will be floating over the arms of your Watsu therapist. As you are taught how to profoundly breathe in and out, you will feel your body gently sink into the water as you breathe out and then softly rise as you breathe in. As the dynamics of proper breathing are assimilated, and they become part of your breathing habit, ultimate relaxation can take place. You are then floating freely, feeling weightless, calm and unburdened, transported into a new-found state of relaxation. Bathing suit required.
Duration: 30 minutes "Watsu Massage
Get ready to experience the ultimate massage in water: Watsu. As you float freely within the warm water, your massage therapist commences with a stretching, soothing and rehabilitative massage. As the massage proceeds, your body gracefully flows and moves without pain or limitation. You slowly become weightless, feeling the releasing effects of the massage as soreness and fatigue are reduced while spine tension is removed. Flexibility, relaxation and freedom are reinstated as you enter into a state of emotional, psychological and physical inner and outer peace. Bathing suit required.

"Walk in the Clouds Cocoon Hydra-Aroma Wrap
The next step in this ultimate therapeutic journey is to envelop your body in a heavenly, warm, soothing and hydrating cocoon, rich in aromatic essentials oils.
Duration: 30 minutes

Multi-Dimensional Awakening to a New You..

Program Duration: 3 1/2 hours- $260

The Great Blue Heron

by zrim

I'm a big fan of wading birds and the great blue heron is among my favorites. Watching a heron in flight is amazing. The great blue stands four feet tall and its wingspan can be over six feet. When I watch a great blue heron in flight I often think about teradactyls and what they must have looked like in flight eons ago.

Florida lizard

by zrim

There are a lot of people who take up birdwatching as a hobby, but do you know anyone who is a lizard watcher? Why not. What's wrong with lizards. I think they are fascinating. Unfortunately, they are often times skittish so it is hard to get a good profile photo of a lizard. I suppose when you appear to be a tasty meal to an owl or a night heron its good to be skittish or your species would be doomed.

Ride the Beaches of Amelia Island

by grandmaR

My sister apparently has always had a desire to ride on the beach like in the movies. Amelia Island is one of the few places where you can do this. Debbie brings the horses to the Ritz Carlton beach and you can canter if you want to.

She wrote: "I reconnected with my youthful riding instruction on a quieter walk-trot ride ($45, you are in a line of 6 to 10) and so was prepared for the next one. Woman comes up in a trailer with four horses, her prize palomino, one saddled English for a 16-year-old experienced girl, two saddled Western, one for me, one for the girl's cousin who had hardly ever been on a horse. (This ride is $60 according to the website)

"Off we went. I was very pleased with how I did. My horse insisted on being in the lead, despite my attempts to go second. She was 18 years old but she like to GO. The least encouragement and whoosh she would break into a trot and then a canter. What a thrill! You can imagine. A half-hour down, partly by the shoreline, partly up a little further because it was high tide, dodging people and kites.

"I felt sorry for the cousin but the owner, Debbie Manser, was pretty good at assessing what you could do. The main instruction she gave, interestingly, was to look straight ahead, that if you looked down you would be off balance. And to put weight on the balls of your feet in a trot." "I had gone out and bought boots with heels. The cousin wore sneakers. Geesh."

"From the first ride I learned that horses smell your breath and I remembered that they can feel your confidence in your legs. So I ate apples, relaxed my thighs, used my stomach muscles, and sat up straight. Maybe that helped"

I suspect that I would not have done as well, because when a horse canters I always fall off. I'm also much heavier than my sister and my sister has been a dancer most of her life so she's quite a bit more limber than I am.

NOTE: When my sister visited Amelia Island again and booked a ride, she was MUCH less happy about it because first they said the weather was not good enough to ride, and then the next day it actually WAS too bad to go, so she didn't get her ride.

MM 715.0 Tiger Point Marina & Boat Works

by grandmaR

Tried to stay here on our first trip in 2000, but they wouldn't answer either the phone or the VHF. So we've never tried since then. They have a repair facility, a chandlery, pumpout, showers, and a nearby restaurant. They are about a 5 minute walk from town.

They are no longer in the guidebook I have so they may not accept transients. I took these pictures on the way to Fort Clinch

Comments