One Ocean Hotel & Spa

One Ocean Boulevard, (Formerly "Sea Turtle Inn"), Atlantic Beach, Florida, 32233, United States
One Ocean Resort & Spa
Travelocity Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about One Ocean Hotel & Spa

The Sea Turtle Inn
I've never...

by VintageRose

The Sea Turtle Inn
I've never stayed there.. I just know that its very beautiful and on the beach. Jax Beach I think.. I heard they have a very good Seafood Buffet.. check it out!. The surroundings are beautiful and alot of my friends have been there.. Right on the beach, seafood buffet. Beautiful vibrant color. Kinda upscale if i'm not mistaken.

Gem on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member Riceinfl

Formerly known as the Sea Turtle Inn, the hotel has gone through a dramatic renovation and is a beautiful hotel right on the ocean. Although the rooms are small, the furnishings and decor are upscale and luxurious. The staff is attentive and was eager to make our stay perfect. Be aware that a $25 resort is automatically included on a daily basis. The resort fee, however, included a fridge stocked with our favorite soft drinks and bottled water and a drawer full of snacks, which were replenished upon request. The hotel also offered complimentary garment pressing and coffeee and tea service delivered to our room. These were extra touches that made us feel like we were truly special guests. Our personal docent, Debra, even left a bottle of champagne in our room for our anniversary celebration. The hotel lobby is beautiful. The restaurant was pricey but the food and service at dinner were excellent. The pool is small; arrive early to get a lounge chair. Be prepared to be pampered.

Lovely!

by TripAdvisor Member chiantidog

I recently stayed for 3 nights - oceanview room with a great view. Had previously stayed 2 years ago when it was the Sea Turtle. It is unrecognizable! What a gorgeous hotel it is now. We've stayed at other local beach resorts (PV, Amelia Ritz, Sawgrass Marriott), and this is now our new favorite.

You can't beat the location, with the great small shops, dining options, coffee shops, and pharmacy within a block. Great beach with lifeguards on duty. The pool area is very pretty with very nice new furniture.

Hotel decor is stunning - lobby, rooms, and restaurant.
Service was very good, extremely friendly staff. Had one meal in the dining room and was impressed with the quality of food and service. Did not have any spa services, but the quiet room area looks very nice and has the best view of the ocean. Spa services seemed reasonably priced.

I agree with the previous post that the elevator arrangement is odd. There is a second elevator that you can switch to if you need to avoid the stairs, but it is an unusual configuration.

I didn't think the resort fee was too high, but I did learn that it does not get distributed to the staff. You still need to tip the porters, housekeeping...etc.

Overall - really liked this place and look forward to returning!

Worst Vacation of My Entire Life

by TripAdvisor Member playday

This resort itself seemed fine the first few days of our stay. When the weekend arrived and more guests arrived the atmosphere changed. We encountered rude guests that for some reason thought they were better than others. We encountered new rules at the outside bar when the weekend arrived - suddenly you could not be served when wearing shorts (silly me, I thought that's what staying on the beach was about). Later in the evening when returning to the resort, my husband and his brother were confronted by two very rude women drinking outside who obviously thought they were better than us. They were speaking loudly and wanting to know how they got in (this was all because they were in shorts). Seemed to me that the rules only applied to certain people, because there were other men drinking outside in shorts. This leads me to believe the staff has two sets of rules depending on how much money you have. The hotel did offer to compensate us with a complimentary breakfast the next morning - too little, too late.

Will stay Again!

by TripAdvisor Member sbfortwaltonbeach

When we booked it we requested a balconey room if it became available. It did, but smelled horribly of smoke. With two children and a huge aversion to the smell of smoke, this was unacceptable. We promptly told the staff that tried to accomodate us. It was the weekend of the Georgia-Florida game and they were very booked. They put us in a suite and brought an inflatable bed for the kids while we were off the property at dinner. HAving learned where we were dining, they ordered desserts for us as a surprise. That pretty much called it, we'll stay there again. It was a beautifully decorated hotel with lovely decor, clean rooms, QUIET rooms, great views of the Atlantic and a gracious staff. There is a spa on sight. The gym is lovely and well appointed. the pool was nicely heated. The restaurant is pricey but tasty. You can easily walk to many bars and restaurants within 5 minutes. We'll be staying there the next time we visit Jacksonville.

Nice place, but prepare to be 'nickel and dimed'

by TripAdvisor Member dmo_81

My husband and I stayed here a few weeks after we got married as a four day long "mini" honeymoon. We booked the hotel on Hotwire, so we assumed the rate was somewhat discounted. However, like many other reviewers have said, the booking site DID NOT mention the rather steep $25 a day "resort" fee (which does not include valet parking). When checking in the person at the front desk actually told us that the resort fee was used to cover such items as "daily room cleaning and towel replenishment". Hmm, that's usually considered included with the regular room rate at 95% of the hotels I've stayed in. Luckily after reading other reviews on here, we arrived knowing we did not have to use their expensive valet parking (although they try to make it look like that's the only option). We were always able to find a parking spot no more than a couple of blocks from the hotel, for free. The rooms were beautifully decorated, and the hotel overall looks very upscale. The bar downstairs was quite the social scene on Saturday night; nice if you like that atmosphere. We did not try the restaurant, but it looked very upscale. The location is great, right on the beach, and close to many restaurants/shops in Atlantic Beach. Did not visit the spa, as the spa treatment rates seemed outrageous (massages nearly double the price of off-resort locations). Overall, a nice, beautifully updated hotel, but expect to be overcharged for almost everything.

Magical Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member debsfree777

I found this resort to be a step above the rest. My husband and I went on a seasonal weekend with the town having a delightful Christmas tree lighting celebration below our room. I was prepared for the extra cost of certain items but all the free food in the room was out of the ordinary and a pleasant surprise. The staff were very pleasant .Our concierge was very accommodating to our many requests. I will certainly return and inform others of our stay.

Great Service, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member VermontLovetotravel

This is a great hotel! I had stayed at the Sea Turtle last year, so I did not know what to expect of the new property. Talk about a change! The hotel is completely renovated, not just the appearence, but also the service. The Sea Turtle wasn't "bad", but it had no WOW factor. One Ocean has that WOW factor, from the service to the amazing restaurant everything was perfect. I was welcomed in my room by a conceirge who pressed my suit and shined my shoes! I will be back.!!

Sub-par Rooms, and an Offensive Hospitality Philosophy

by TripAdvisor Member IntrepidTraveler09

My stay at One Ocean can be described as awkward and uncomfortable at best, to guilt-ridden and angering at worst. I have been all around the world, and stayed in some exclusive resorts, and the very idea that this hotel calls itself a luxury resort is absurd.
I’ll start with the rooms briefly. They are very small, and the bathrooms are even more cramped. Cramped to the point that it takes some planning on your part just to figure out how to fit yourself in there and close the door.
They do have a neat feature on the door of the room that’s called a “privacy button.” Basically it’s an electronic “Do Not Disturb” sign that lights up the room’s doorbell red so nobody can ring your doorbell. But who’d ring your doorbell in a resort, anyway?
Those people who ring your doorbell are called “Docents,” and this is where the absurdity of the hotel comes in. This place nickels and dimes you from the very beginning. Valet is literally forced upon you, as there is no parking. So one feels obligated to tip the valets. That’s fine, but if you weren’t prepared to tip for valet service, this is very awkward (who has cash on them these days, anyway?).
But back to the docents. If I want anything at all, this hotel claims to be able to get it for me. That’s anything from snacks and ice to an iron and ironing board. Did you catch that? Yes, they had to provide me with the ice and the iron and ironing board. They do not come included in the room. If that’s not bizarre enough, I have to call a docent to come bring me these things. So ice that should be provided via a nifty contraption other hotels like to call “ice machines” is nowhere to be found on any floor. I have to call downstairs to inform some mysterious person that I need ice. Within minutes, or whenever the docents feel like it, they come knocking on my door to grab my ice bucket. (My room was furnished with the bucket, just no means of getting access to ice). So after the docent takes my bucket, they proudly return bearing my ice. Then I am in the unique position to either feel awkward and tip, or keep my money and feel like a jerk. Gee, that’s a great way to make a guest feel. One Ocean successfully managed to make me feel overly uncomfortable by providing a service that would have taken me thirty seconds and cost me nothing. And they did it in ten minutes and left me ten dollars poorer.
Then there were the iron and ironing boards. Same deal. If I need to iron my shirt, I have to call again for docent services. Every single time I need anything, I am at the mercy of the docent. This irked me to no end. I might be willing to tip if it were the Wynn in Vegas, but when I booked my room I did not know I’d be in for a lot of trouble and expense for a room that was average at best, with a staff that was less than stellar.
If you want to enjoy yourself without feeling the pressure to tip every ten seconds, I’d recommend staying anywhere but One Ocean.

Beautiful hotel with excellent service.

by TripAdvisor Member Martinson9

Upon check in all the staff emphasized how they wanted to help us out and make sure we had an enjoyable stay. It sounded great, but I really wasn't sure if they would actually stand behind their claim of wanting to provide top notch service.

Our first night was on the top floor and I could notice a harmonic sound that was somewaht annoying because I wasn't that tired and was struggling to fall asleep. In the morning I called the "One Touch" service and asked them to investigate. We were informed by the Docent the noise was caused by an air handler on the roof that is scheduled to be replaced. He immediately went to the front desk, while we relaxed in the room, and arranged for a complimentary upgrade to an oceanfront room. The hotel wasn't very busy so I'm sure that played into the free upgrade, but I was VERY impressed with the prompt attention to our concern and the remedy provided. We would have been happy with a quieter room, but were clearly very happy with the upgrade.

I really appreciated the "One Touch" service the hotel offered. You touch one button on the phone for ANY need and they'll take care of it. Car brought out front, ice, towels....etc..

Some random thoughts:
1) Nicest TV I've had in a hotel 40+inch flat screen
2) Very comfortable beds with tons of pillows
3) Beautifully decorated rooms. Room is of nice size, but bathroom is small
4) The lobby is beautiful
5) Nice pool area. Pool is definitely heated, almost too warm.
6) Great location. Walking distance to many restaurants, bars and Starbucks.
7) Loved the free USA Today hanging in a cloth bag from the door handle
8) WiFi was easy to log into. Didn't have to log in through some web portal

Here are my thoughts on a couple of complaints a couple by other people:

Steep resort fee of $25/night. I'm not sure of all the things it covered, but I personally loved having the snacks and beverages in the room. I don't think my pregnant wife minded the munchies either. I also utilized the WiFi a great deal. The night before our stay here was at a Hilton and they wanted $10 a day just for the WiFi and the room was more expensive and of lower quality.

Valet Parking--I was a little surprised that the parking was valet only and it did seem a little expensive. I have two thoughts 1) Park on the street within a couple of blocks to save you the money 2) Use the valet and enjoy being pampered. Call from your room and your car will be waiting for you with the doors open. It's not often I get treated that well and the cost really isn't that bad even if you tip them a couple of bucks each time you get your car.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. We have stayed in other hotels that were just as nice as One Ocean. The level of service you get for the affordable price sets One Ocean apart from the others.

Comments