Smugglers Cove by EVRentals

1501 Gulf Dr N, Bradenton Beach, Florida, 34217, United States

More about Bradenton Beach

Melissa & Meghan Bourque's college addressMelissa & Meghan Bourque's college address

horse riding on beach

by patnalan

Hi All, the whole famly are coming from uk to Bradenton in July and have heard we can ride horses in the water and on the beach. Can anyone give me more info. Three of our family would want to take partbut one is over 60 and not experienced so would it be safe for her. Not been to Bradenton before as we usually go to Siesta Key but this year unable to afford the Keys prices.

by leics

As an experienced rider myself I would not advise anyone, of any age, anywhere, to ride out with no previous experience.

Even if the company is happy to allow this (and I would be dubious of any which did, frankly) the risk of a fall/broken bones is very high. Horses are unpredictable creatures at the best of times and an entirely inexperienced rider is very, very easily unseated.

Also, if a rider is totally inexperienced then either the ride will have to be entirely at walking pace (thus possibly spoiling the enjoyment of others) or he/she will have to wait whilst others canter/gallop (and holding a horse back whilst its friends gallop off is not easy, especially on a beach.....been there, done that!).

Imo, if she is really keen to do this your family member should have a few basic riding lessons beforehand so at least she knows how to keep her balance in the saddle (Western/American saddles are more comfortable and 'hold' you in place better than English ones, but they are still easy to fall from).

by counsel14

I so agree with Jen. Riding is not something that can be done by watching a Western on TV or movies. It take's practice. I would never take an inexperienced rider into the situation you're asking about. I've been riding for over forty years, and I don't like taking a horse I don't know into an area I'm visiting. Horses and sand are an unhealthy mix at best; at worst, your companion could be very seriously injured. I'd rethink the plans or get a whole lot of lessons first. Something else you need to consider are the saddle sores that are inevitable with an inexperienced rider on a western saddle. Be prepared for very sore legs and seat. Susan

by leics

The only time I've been truly frightened on a horse was when it bolted, completely out of my control...along a beach.

I was an experienced rider even then, so managed to stay on (although got a nasty bang on the nose when the horse threw back its head) but it was a very scary experience which could have ended in tragedy if a child or dog had run into my horse's path.

Beaches or open spaces and totally inexperienced riders do not mix, anywhere.

Comments