Tortuga Inn & Beach Resort

1325 Gulf Drive North, Bradenton Beach, Anna Maria Island, Florida, 34217, United States
Tortuga Beach Resort
Tingo.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Costs 58% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Tortuga Inn & Beach Resort

Exceptionally Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Persnickety-traveler

So nice to find a beach property that is well appointed, very clean and well maintained. Front desk (Tim) was very accommodating and friendly. Pools were clean, check-in and out effortless and just all around super nice place to stay. This is my second time at Tortuga Inn and I will plan on returning.

Just Okay

by TripAdvisor Member kasmatis

Hotel has no method of online booking, if you want to book with Tortuga Inn directly, you have to call. I called and booked a room and wrote down the exact room type so I could look at the room on their website (very good photos by building and room type). A few days later I received a confirmation letter that mentioned dates and fees, but no room type. We were told over the phone that we reserved a 1BR deluxe in the Luxury Garden Apartments. When we arrived at our room, we were really disappointed because they actually booked us for the studio. We felt like we were "bunking" with some friends in their spare room or something. It was terrible, not to mention we could hear every single word our neighbors were saying...plus the studio is really poor value. Expensive for feeling like your bunking.

Relaxing getaway! Hidden paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member thewayulook2nite

The Tortuga Inn is situated across from their own private beach which provides complimentary beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels. The sand is clean and the water is warm. Since its a private beach its not overcrowded. The 2 pools are heated and the hotel even provides pool toys. You really can show up with your bathing suit and nothing else and truly enjoy yourself. Your cell phone wont work on the property, but the free Continental US phone calls from the room are useful. The front desk staff are more excited to be there than you, and you are the one on vacation! Very helpful and cheerful! There is a free trolley that takes you around the entire island, and it stops right in front of the hotel. The grounds are very clean and so are the rooms. Try and book the units in the back of the resort, they have their own private pool and hot tub! You can walk from the beach to the private pier right on the property. I have never felt more relaxed on a vacation! I would recommend taking the drive through Longboat Key to Sarasota...watch the sunset at the Old Salty Dog restaurant and continue on Gulf Drive (Jon Ringling Road) to St. Armands circle for shopping and ice cream. What else can I say, I will definitely come back. I wish I could go right now!

Beautiful disaster

by TripAdvisor Member princessbride029

I and my entire wedding party/ family stayed at the completely gorgeous Tortuga Inn in May for my wedding on the beach. Don't disbelieve the pictures - the place really is that gorgeous! Huge 2 bedroom condos with all the bells and whistles you could ask for, including a spacious lanai.

Back of the property is against the intercoastal waterway, front is against the street (beach is across the street, which you must cross, but traffic is pretty pedestrian friendly). The island really is that narrow!

If you can, go to the Sandbar at the north end of the island for a sunset. It's a restaurant directly on the sand that we've been frequenting for years. It's where we got married!

My husband and I have been coming to Anna Maria Island for years (before the wedding!) and he since he was a child. The Tortuga is by far one of the most beautiful places to stay.

That being said, we had plenty of problems. The front desk staff was quite rude to us when booking the rooms a few months in advance, in person. One girl was supposed to be getting off, so she said to the other lady, right in front of us, "I'm off now, so I'm not going to help these people - they're all yours." They carried on conversations in front of us while we were waiting that had nothing to do with their work. The other woman had a smile that looked like it was hiding a growl. And one of the guys was creepy - looking at me and my friend like a sex object.

Next, although I confirmed 3 times over the phone over the next few months, they always managed to have the wrong information when I called. Once they had too few rooms, next they had one room leaving a day earlier than the rest instead of arriving a day later. When we got there, one of the rooms apparently had been double-booked and they tried to pretend it was our fault.

My friends who had to arrive after hours were left a key (with me) with which to get into their studio. When we went to try the key, it didn't work. Plus the staff had not unlocked the door from the main suite that attached to the little room, either, so even though I had other friends staying in the main area, we couldn't get into the room that the girls needed to sleep in! This was the night before the wedding at like 10pm. I had to call the "emergency number" and one of the front desk guys (the creepy one, of course) came from his house to give me a key to the outside door - made me meet him at the front desk late at night - and said we could not unlock the door connecting the suites, so my girls had no way of getting to the rest of the suite where the fridge, TV, washer/dryer and everything was!

Finally, the day of the wedding, my aunt and uncle arrived with their 4 kids to check in, and their room had also been double booked. They were moved to the older section, which isn't so bad - it has a beautiful garden/walkway - but that room had only one bathroom (their booked room had two) and the toilet was overflowing and the floors were drenched. There was nowhere for them to stay, and we received no apologies from the staff.

Overall, a terrible experience as a bride, but because the place is so completely gorgeous I would go back. Just be wary of the booking - we had 4 booking problems with our 2-night stay!

Loved Tortuga Gardens

by TripAdvisor Member kjinmd

Stayed at the Gardens which are condos directly behind the hotel. They were very nice and comfortable (granite countertops, dual head showers, etc). Did not see the hotel rooms but heard that the condos are much nicer. Some of the condos are divided into "lock-outs" which allows them to offer a one bedroom. This unit is entered into by sliding glass doors and is attached to the other unit so some may not prefer that option. We rented both sides of the condo so did not experience any problems. Would stay there again.

Highly Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member D-Dandfamily

Only stayed at the resort for 2 nights as an escape from the parks. But what a getaway. Room was fantastic, at the front of the building with a Gulf view. Furnishings and comfort immaculate. Plenty of room even with 2 kids on the sofabed. Spotlessly maintained throughout. Good service with reception helpful and polite. Just enough going on to keep the kids occupied with decent sized pool and beautiful beach literally just across (not too busy) road.

Studio is awful - would not recommend it

by TripAdvisor Member fezziwig99

We stayed in the Studio accommodations in the Luxury Garden Apartments from May 4 through May 6, 2007. It’s one bedroom of the larger apartment. The entry to the room is a sliding glass door in an interior breezeway. The breezeway has a loud exhaust system that runs 24/7. You need to keep the vertical blinds closed all the time for privacy. There is only one other window right over the toilet and it opens into the breezeway. The layout of the space is very awkward with 2 doors connecting to the rest of the suite, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. The doors have no sound insulation and on several occasions I was alarmed by someone on the other side jiggling the door handle. Additionally, there is light and sound coming from the transoms over the doors. As if noisy neighbors weren’t bad enough, the property allows pets so we were awakened in the early morning by a barking dog.

The Studio has no control of the central air conditioning. We used the supplemental unit which was extremely noisy. For reasons unknown, the smoke alarms went off briefly at 2 and 2:30 a.m. on one night.

We reported our complaints the very next morning and asked to be moved but were told that the hotel was sold out. I reported the problems again at checkout and was given a Comment card and an apology. Since I paid a month in advance, I really feel as if I have been ripped off. The best I can do is save you the disappointment and maybe the hotel will remedy the problems with the Studio accommodations. On the plus side, Anna Maria Island is beautiful, the gulf is clear and warm and there are some fun and funky places for eating and drinking.

Love this place!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member anhp25

I stayed here in a 2 bedroom suite in the new tower in May for my wedding. I got married at the ritz in sarasota, but all of my guests stayed at this resort. This place makes the ritz look like a motel 6! The beach is gorgeous and the rooms are so clean! We went to Turks and Caicos for our honeymoon and wished we had stayed in Florida instead! I could live in this place; granite countertops, full kitchen, washer/dryer, full dining room! We practically spent every waking moment on the lanai, the furniture is so comfortable! The couch makes out in to a bed, which by the look of it you would never know! We have decided to make this our regular beach vacation getaway. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

Freakin Awesome!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member mustangdaddy

I found Anna Maria Island & the Tortuga on TripAdvisor. Thank you x 1 million. It was gorgeous, and that goes for the room(s), the beach, the pools, the restaurants, and on and on. The Tortuga (we stayed in the back---not the garden) was like Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous. My daughter & her friend (ages 11) had their own "room" with twin beds, huge shower, TV, frig; they were ecstatic. The place was huge and impeccable yet comfy. We could do laundry, cook (yeh, right), and really relax without being on top of each other. The beach was perfect, they really do have free chairs, towels & umbrellas, and we had a ball on waverunners. Right there. No search. Close places to eat. Mr. Bones was fun, the Sandbar was a blast (go and eat while the sun goes down----paradise). Wiggle your toes in the sand while you sip your cocktails & eat your dinner. Kids can run to the Gulf and play and you can watch them while sipping your cocktails with your toes in the sand. Everything reasonable/casual/fun. I had no complaints...not one. Perfect relaxing vacation. We managed Mote Aquarium and well worth it. Manatee, sting ray, sharks, and the touch tanks were too cool. You can go lots of places and not touch this place. We've been everywhere----and this blows them all away. Will be back. SOON!!!!

Fantastic stay at the Tortuga

by TripAdvisor Member Tommo33

We have just got back from staying 11 nights at the Tortuga Inn.Ourselves and another family stayed in rooms 157 and 258 these are the two rooms you must get,Two double bedrooms with ensuite lovely kitchen diner both have fantastic private verandas and your own private swimming pool which is just for the guests of these rooms,upstairs also has it's own lift so you don't need to take the stairs.This place is luxurious and is like a home from home.The only negative points was the maid service wasn't very good, they changed towels when we wanted and the beds, but never swept a floor or cleaned a toilet while we were there,and there was a problem with ants round the pool which they tried to rectify but not very well.Overall I would recommend the Tortuga awesome place just across from the beach.

Our daughters worked their way thru college hereOur daughters worked their way thru college here

Comments