4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about South Seas Resort

Info about South Seas Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Florida1994

I've read the varying reviews about South Seas Resort with interest and would like to clarify a few things. South Seas, which opened in 1946, and has grown under a variety of managment companies, is not a single resort. 1/4 of all accommodations are hotel rooms, 1/4 are time share, condos & villas, and 1/2 are whole ownership; condos,villas or homes. We bought our first time share in 1987 and second in 1990 and love it there. The time share units are rarely for rent but are always in excellent condition; the TS owners manage their own units and are continually upgrading and remodeling; every year, we are surprised to enter our units to see the new changes. We've stayed at the Harbourside hotel rooms along Pine Island Sound and have always loved them. Now we come to part 1 of the complaints; the whole ownership. Since each unit is privately owned, the decor, condition and updating do vary and is up to each owner. I feel that is the source of many complaints; many owners do not ever rent their units. If you want a great room, make sure that you get a hotel room or time-share. As to complaint #2, staff and service, that's a problem that varies too. It's been difficult to staff the resort since it's located in a retirement area and is an hour's drive from the toll bridge; most people can get employment that is more convenient so the resort has brought in foreign workers to staff it; some are great, some are good, and some are just OK. We usually stop at Bailey's store on Sanibel and stock up for the week; eat breakfast in our condo and eat out on Captiva or Sanibel. Yes, the restaurants at the resort are pricey but you're paying for being at an incredibly expensive bit of real estate. All the houses between the Blind Pass Bridge and resort entrance were over a million dollars 5 years ago; today's they're tearing down million dollar houses and putting up $5-10 million dollar ones! There are great restaurants on Captiva like Sunshine Cafe, RC Otter's, Mucky Duck, The Bubble Room just outside the resort. Enjoy South Seas for what it is; a bit of heaven on earth!

We just arrived home from a...

by AngieJeff

We just arrived home from a perfect week at South Seas Resort on Captiva Island. Our Harborside villa overlooked Pine Island Sound where dolphins and manatees swam by continuously. The junior suites are cheerfully decorated and spacious.
$200 The beauty of the grounds is inspiring and the staff is helpful and professional. It's a perfect resort for families.

South Seas Plantation Resort...

by elw

South Seas Plantation Resort on Captiva Island
The resort has fantastic upscale restaurants and arrange sightseeing cruises which leave from the marina in search of dolphins.

Captiva Island

by goingsolo

Captiva Island is a virtually unspoiled tiny island off Florida's west coast. The island is located about 4 hours from Miami and about 2 hours from Tampa. Here you will find some of the best and most private beaches in Florida in addition to a fabulous resort, great restaurants and beautiful sunsets.

For more information, feel free to check out my Captiva Island page.

When in West-Florida around...

by fsvdijk

When in West-Florida around Tampa, you should absolutely find a way to visit Sanible & Captiva island! Two beautiful islands nearby Fort Myers! Things I miss most about Florida are the white fine sandy beaches and the beautiful coast of Captiva Island. Ofcourse the shells that are to be found on every beach. And the great breakfasts in Fort Myers! Fresh fruits and ice-creams as heaven should look!

Will return to South Seas again

South Seas Resort is a beautiful property with well
built accomodations that take advantage of prime beach
area. The units are fairly well maintained, but as in
most resort areas, good help is obviously hard to find.
The bed linens left a bit to be desired, but the units
are clean and have most everything you need for
a pleasant stay. The nature center is great for kids
and the marina provides nice tour guides and boats
to get you out to the smaller keys and beaches.
The beaches are not so crowded and the resort
accomodates requests for torch lit dinners on the beach.
The prices are not cheap, but then it is a condo like
setting and there is absolutly no complaints about the location, the property, the screened terraces and the views. We do not eat at the resort; there are plenty of restuarants on Sanibel and close enough to walk to from South Seas.
The concierge and desk staff are delightful and a
wonderful mix of people from all over the world, and they are literate and helpful. The cleaning staff surely could use some language skills, but all in all it is a great relaxing place to spend a week.

Paraise and more

This was our first trip to Captiva Island. What a wonderful surprise. It was all we had hoped it would be and so much more. We stayed at the South Seas Plantation Beach Club in a condo. Our condo was immaculate and when they told us it was right on the beach of the Gulf of Mexico they weren't kidding. I think it was the most relaxing vacation we have ever taken. The shelling was fantastic and the Gulf was so beautiful. We did find the restaurants rather expensive but the food was excellent. We really enjoyed the shrimp at the Muckie Duck. I would highly recommend this island for a vacation. We were so enchanted, we bought a time share!!

I don't understand all these bad reviews

We've been going to South Seas every 2 or 3 years since 1984 and have never had a bad experience. I just returned from an 8 day stay last week. I read the reviews before departure and I was a little nervous that the place had gone to the dogs, but this is not the case. Granted, it's expensive, but I figure you have to pay the toll if you want the million dollar views of the gulf sunsets (we've always stayed at a Beach Villa or the Plantation Beach Club so I cannot speak about the views from the other other accomodations). The staff has always been friendly and helpful, the rooms have always been clean and comfortable, and the beach cannot be beat. Housekeeping comes in every day to clean (this did not used to be the case) and even washed the dirty dishes daily. Cap'n Al's and Chadwick's restaurants are OK for casual dining, and the Porter House is very good. We didn't make it to the King's Crown this year, but it's always been very good during our previous stays. All in all, if you have $3K to blow in order to spend a week on the beach I cannot think of a better place. The only negative that I can come up with is that I wish they had blenders available. It's hard to make a decent margarita using an egg beater.

Still Faithful

by TripAdvisor Member Colchester2

I found some of the recent comments about the resort quite interesting. Let me give my perspective. I had not been to South Seas for almost 4 years. I rented one of the Beach Villas (as usual) and was not disappointed. It was well appointed and clean. Yes, there's construction around Capn Al's' but it seems to be necessary to shore up the walkways by the water. Yes, the shore on the Gulf side by Redfish Pass has been eroded and it looks crummy. But, I read in the local paper that all of Captiva's beaches will be replenished in a $12 million project starting in November. Yes, staff could be friendlier. At some hotels all staff greet you anywhere on the property. That just doesn't happen at South Seas. Yes, the food at Cap'n Al's is at best indifferent but try King's Crown. We loved it. One of the best Lobster Bisques ever and they really know how to cook fish. Staff were great here. The place I would recommend off the property is the Key Lime Bistro. Good food. But, the key difference is the owner is in evidence and the staff obviously really like her.

Captiva IslandCaptiva Island

Sunset on Captiva IslandSunset on Captiva Island

Tarpon Fishermen, Captiva IslandTarpon Fishermen, Captiva Island

Anyone Visited South Seas Resort Recently?

by dougcall

I'll be staying at South Seas Resort starting October 6th and wondered if anyone has been there in the last month or two?

RE: Anyone Visited South Seas Resort Recently?

by JulesTwo

We were in Sanibel in August and drove over to South Seas just to take a look, outside the gated area though. It looked pretty good from what we saw. We were also there right after the hurrican and last year as well, and I saw BIG improvements! You might want to check out this forum as well:
Enjoy your stay!

help for sanibel

by maximilian1

hi everyone,
where can i stay in sanibel or captiva island in june?
we love snorkelling? where it's possible?
thanks in advance

RE: help for sanibel

by JulesTwo

Look for a condo to rent on either island. Captiva is more expensive. You can try www.vrbo.com which is vacation rental by owners. There are a few hotels on the island. I would check out this board as well: http://forum.bestofsanibelcaptiva.com/index.php You can find some great information.
As far as snorkeling, well, I have been going there for about 25 years and I can't say that I know of a good snorkeling area. The water is not always very clear.
I can recommend renting a bike while you are there though. Lots of bike paths and it is nice and flat.
Enjoy your stay! You will love it.

RE: help for sanibel

by donato1899

There are many nice places to stay on Sanibel/Captiva. Prices are cheaper in June too. Sanibel is the #1 family vacation spot in Florida.
The Sundial is the biggest resort on Sanibel, lots to do. The Signal Inn is near there, but a smaller place, nice too.
On Captive, T'ween waters is nice in an older way. The South Seas Plantation is the best resort on Captiva. But it was damaged by Hurricane Charly in 2004 and is just now finishing its renovations.
Sanibel is NOT a snorkeling destination. The water is not clear and there is no coral to be seen.
For snorkeling(and nightlife) you may consider the Florida Keys.
look at the tripadvisor.com sanibel forum for lots more, detailed answers.
Buon Viaggio

RE: RE: help for sanibel

by jackcd

so seas used to be the best on captiva. it is not now. the huuricane destroyed alot that has not been fixed. tween waters on captiva is nice

Done Disney, Done Bradenton - where should we go next?

by Mike57

Hi

Some of our best family holidays have been in Florida - and we're coming back again this year - but to somewhere different this time.

But where? We like to have a week in a couple of places, in villa's with a pool.

We don't necessarily want Disney or Universal parks this time [but could be tempted yet again!] - but we do like National Parks / Forests / Lakes / Museums - and some time on the beach...... and the odd ball game.

Got any ideas or experisence of good times in good places that you could share?

Thanks!

Mike. UK

by Foundryman1

I lived in Florida for years-Used to live on Captiva Island on the southwest coast.I ran a resort marina called Tween waters.It was a very beautiful place.Alittle expensive but worth the effort.I haven't been back in a while and last year hurricane charlie hit the place dead on so I can't really say what it's like now.One of my charter captain friends told me South seas Plantation isn't even re-open yet.But that could just make it mellower without too many people there now.
I can't tell you how many customers I had who would tell me they just came from Orlando but now that they were here they wished they had spent the whole time on the Island.The road ends on Captiva but there are miles of Island state park just north of there-exellent shell collecting.

For a real getaway try renting a house on North Captiva-You can only get there by boat or plane--Enjoy

Ps.....Friends don't let friends go to disneyworld ha ha

by bevjerry

We used to go to Florida every December to see my mother in law ad as far as I'm concerned the only really interesting thing we did was to go down to the Everglades. If you go to the Park headquarters deep inside the park you can go on a cruise with a naturalist and really learn some intersting facts.

by michanth

Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach is great area. You can visit the space center (which is awesome).They have nice villas on the beach and close to both Mets and Dodgers training camps where you can go and watch the big boys play. The Everglades National park is a few hours south but well worth the trip.

RE: RE: Done Disney, Done Bradenton - where should we go next?

by VinoSole

Look into Sandestin Golf and tennis resort on the Panhandle between Panama City and Fort Walton Beach. It is an Itrawest resort with villas, condos and a truly amazing beach with hiking, canoeing and all water sports..Seaside is nearby and the airplane museum in pensacola is real nice too. good luck.

Comments