Belleview Biltmore Hotel Golf, Beach and Spa Resort

25 Belleview Boulevard, Clearwater, Florida, 33756, United States

More about Belleview Biltmore Hotel Golf, Beach and Spa Resort

So wonderful I could live here!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member cosmicdenmother

Shortly after booking a trip to the Belleview Biltmore I stumbled upon the reviews posted at tripadvisor.com and frankly, I was terrified. I anticipated finding a ramshakle hotel. This is NOT at all what I found.
Yes, there was a small amount of mildew in the bathroom, but this is Florida and if you lived here you would have mildew too. It is clear that the hotel is in the process of renovation after much neglect by a previous owner, but they have come quiet far and I expect that the Belleview will be back to her former grandure shortly. The food is extraordinary, the Sunday bruch is a must, the staff made me feel pampered without being pretentious. They are very accomadating. The spa is wonderful. The rooms need a little work but there is so much to experience just within the hotel that you only need the room for sleeping. I highly recommend the Belleview Biltmore. If you are a cookie cutter hotel kind of person, don't bother. It's not for you.
However, if you appreciate the charm and elegance of old hotels, this will be a treat. If I could live here, I would.

WORSE THAN A STICK IN THE EYE

by TripAdvisor Member CYAL8R

The Belleview Biltmore is TERRIBLE. From the flaking, peeling paint on every surface to the rusted tub and moldy tiles, the only thing worse than the room was the service. This is not the charming antique hotel it is portrayed to be -- it is a fire trap. DO NOT TAKE CHILDREN TO THIS HOTEL... we were constantly trying to keep our 16 month old away from any painted surface for fear of contracting lead poisoning. I have never written an online review before, but am compelled to do so in the hope of saving other families from the horror that is this hotel.

Loved This Hotel...SO ROMANTIC!

For my 10th anniversary, I was looking for an historic hotel with lots of charm and I found what I was looking for with the Belleview Biltmore. Is everything nice and bland and antiseptic? No. If that's what I wanted, I would have gone to a Holiday Inn Express. Are there small cracks in the paint? Yes. Do you get a bed with a real headboard and a real footboard? Yes. The food was wonderful, especially on the Terrace Cafe, and the staff was absolutely there whenever we asked for anything... more shampoo, an extra pillow, anything. The spa is amazing..friendly staff and absolutely willing to make your stay perfect. The best thing I can say is, we're going back. As often as possible.

Nightmare on Belleview

I've heard stories of ghost about this building and was determined to visit for a bit and was intimidated when we arrived, but it was a quaint old fashioned building, the food was good ,but the management who runs this place must be dreaming if they think this will ever be a great place to stay.We had termites in our room and was moved to another room where the a/c did'nt work proper,.the paint chipped off the ceiling was because of the water leaking fromthe room above us...never again

Don't believe their website! It is really filthy and disgusting!

This hotel was the filthiest hotel I have ever stayed in. When I checked out the website, it looked beautiful, but upon check in, the horror began. Actually it began when I was given 5 sets of wrong directions to the hotel by the staff. The hotel is very musty and had mildew everywhere. When I walked into my room I was disgusted with everything. The carpet was this horrible moldy mildewed astro turf type stuff. There was mold growing everywhere on the walls and strange stains on the wall which were disgusting. The bathroom had mildew and mold on the floors, on the walls, in the tub area as well as a strong urine odor. The toilet was not clean at all. Disgusting. I ran a kleenex along the bathtub floor and it was covered in grime and mildew.
Gross. The bathroom door would not close at all. The bed was so hard it felt like concrete as well as the pillows. I couldn't sleep all night because of the a/c unit not working correctly, toilet running all night, horrible smells, uncomfortable and smelly bed and a host of other reasons. I tried to get moved to another room but the hotel was totally booked. I booked a room at another hotel first thing in the morning and the other hotel said they get a lot of people that leave the Biltmore because it is so disgusting. It isn't just old, it is unsanitary and gross. The furnishings in the rooms are not antiques by any means, just very, very cheap old furniture. It does remind you of the movie "The Shining" when you walk down the hallways because of the creepiness but it definitely is not a grand hotel. It should be closed and considered a health hazard until it is renovated. When I checked out after one night, the front desk asked why I was leaving so early. I told her because the hotel was filthy and disgusting. She just said, "oh." It was very obvious that many people have had the same experience as I had that stay there. I will also say that just because the hotel is in Florida, does not mean that mold and mildew are always going to be wherever you stay. The hotel I moved to had absolutely no mold and mildew, because they cleaned the hotel properly. The Biltmore was just a nasty place. Also it is not close to the beach at all, at least 20 minutes, and it is not convenient to anything at all. I would never ever stay there again. If you see a "nice" review about this place anywhere I would bet it was submitted by the management of the hotel itself. Do not be fooled by their website. You will be horribly disappointed.

The Smell of History

This place was wonderful!! I took my 10 year old daughter there on a mommy - daughter weekend. I have to admit I was a little skeptical after reading mostly horrible reviews. Upon arriving we were amazed at the size of this place, it is huge! The real charm comes after the modernized lobby. It is like walking into the past. Walking to our room my daughter said, "I love that smell." I told her that that is the "smell of history" that only a place 106years old can have. As I read in the hotel info guide they are going through "restoration not renovation." If you are a history buff or enjoy a place with alot of character you will really enjoy the Bellview Biltmore. The food is great, the spa is fabulous, add 106 years of history to that and you have agreat place to stay. Don't forget to take the tour they offer every day at 11:00a.m.

Throw your money into the Gulf before you toss in into this place!!!

Seriously misrepresented! The only person employed by this place who was not rude was George, a waitor. BYOB - The drinks are seriously overpriced. Their website mentions their beach. Well, their beach is a 20 minute ride in the shuttle or your personal vehicle. There was mold in the bathroom and the shower head needed to be replaced because it shot water all over the room. The A/C had a fan but no cold air. The maid forgot to bring towels when she cleaned the room on one occasion.
On another day she left her cleaning gear in the room (I don't know how she cleaned the other rooms). The exterior of the building is mainly replacement siding that is very dirty and the windows have the original 1897 paint on them. I could go on and on. Take my word for it, throw your money somewhere else.

This place should be condemned. It is horrible and infested with

This place was disgusting. My family booked it for a family affair. It was mildew and mold infested. We changed rooms 4 times and my husband went with the manager to look at another 5 rooms before we settled on the final room. One of them had beetles and roaches in the bathroom.
The rooms smelled from age. It should be knocked down because the land is more valuable then the building is. I cannot express any more how bad it is.

A beautiful hotel

This hotel looks fantastic, and the rooms are very 'in character'. If you want something very different to the cheap and cheerful chains, this is perfect. Location is also excellent, with the great Clearwater beach and many outstanding restaurants a short drive away.

fga's new Clearwater Page

by fga

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CITY OF CLEARWATER

When this area was known only to the native Indians, mostly Timucuan, Calusa and Apalachee tribes, clear springs gurgled from the banks into the bay. The springs, long since gone, were located along the high bluffs upon which City Hall and downtown Clearwater are now situated. Early settlers called it Clear Water Harbor, by which it was known until 1895 when Clearwater became one word. Harbor was dropped in 1906.
Spanish explorer Panfilo de Narvaez came to the Pinellas peninsula in 1528. The exact place he first stepped is disputed, but may have been Clear Water Harbor. Narvaez later perished in a storm after crossing Florida on foot with a party of soldiers.
In 1539, Hernando De Soto landed at Tampa Bay. He later died near the headwaters of the Mississippi River. Pedro Menendez arrived in 1567 searching for a route across Florida. He brought 10 missionaries to establish missions throughout the area. One of their Jesuit missions was established at Safety Harbor. Those who remained with this mission were later massacred by the Timucuans, who had been mistreated by previous exploration parties. White settlers did not return to this area until the 1800s.
Florida became a territory in 1822. During the Seminole Indian Wars of 1835, the government built the original Fort Harrison as a recuperation Center for soldiers, and not as a defensive fort. It was located on the bluffs where Harbor Oaks is now. The fort was abandoned in 1841, and is commemorated by a plaque on Druid Road in downtown Clearwater.
The first blacks came to the area with Narvaez's exploration party. The first white settler was French Dr. Odet Philippe, who had served under Gen. Napoleon Bonaparte. He established St. Helena Plantation in what is now Safety Harbor, and raised citrus. His daughter married Richard Booth, and these pioneering families' names are still well known in Clearwater.
The Federal Armed Occupation Act of 1842 gave 160 acres to any head of family or single man over 18 who would bear arms and cultivate the land. The "father of Clearwater," James Stevens, and Samuel Stevenson were among the first settlers. After a visit in 1841, James Parramore McMullen and his six brothers settled in the Clearwater area. They and their descendants held many important governmental positions throughout the early years.
Most settlers farmed vegetables and cotton. Fish were plentiful. A hurricane in 1846 and a vicious storm in 1848 were among the hardships. The first paper, "The Clear Water Times," was established by Rev. C.S. Reynolds.
When the first narrow gauge railroad was built in 1888, the Clear Water Harbor community had about 18 families. Henry Plant, the foremost Central and West Florida developer of the time, later built a standard gauge railroad through Pinellas County. To boost his passenger business, he built several grand resort hotels, including the Belleview Biltmore in 1897.
Clearwater grew steadily throughout the early part of the century. Tourists and settlers were drawn to the area because of the climate and toutings of early developers and speculators. The Florida real estate boom began in earnest in 1921 and peaked in 1925. The bottom fell out in the bust of 1927, foreshadowing the 1929 market crash and nationwide depression.
When the "Pinellas Point" was first settled, it was Western Hillsborough County. As Clearwater, Largo, St. Petersburg and other communities grew, so did the clamor for independence. It was a day-long trip to travel to the courthouse in Tampa. By act of the Legislature, Pinellas County was created on Jan. 1, 1912. Clearwater was the county seat.
The city of Clearwater was incorporated on May 27, 1915. The library was built in 1916 with a grant from Andrew Carnegie. In the same year, the city built the first wooden bridge to Clearwater Beach, opening it up for development. Morton F. Plant, the son of the illustrious Henry Plant, donated and raised money for the first hospital in 1914.
The population continued to steadily climb. After World War II, a number of soldiers who had trained here returned to live. The Philadelphia Phillies professional baseball team began spring training in the 1940s. From 1950, with 15,000 citizens, the population burgeoned. The population today is around 102,000, with another 20,000 winter residents.

Comments