Mayfair House

3000 Florida Ave., (formerly Mayfair House Hotel), Coconut Grove, Florida, 33133, United States

Mayfair Hotel & Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Walking distance to the shore and the shops

Very well appointed hotel in the centre of Coconut Grove. the Day I was there the Sony Eriksson tennis tournament was on, so the place was full of fit looking foreigners with casual air

Unique Quality: central
    not too expensive for this area
    walking distance to the bay
    walking distance to the shopping and eating area

• joebedford's Profile Photo

The Mayfair House

$209 USD

Unique Quality: All suites, every one different, rooftop pool, private balconies with Japanese spa tubs. Unique Art Deco facade.

More about Mayfair House

MIXED BAG

by TripAdvisor Member CelticLover

My husband and I were accommodated at this hotel after our booking at the Omni Collonade was cancelled due to overbooking. There is good and bad to say about this placel. The good is very good and the bad is very bad.

Firstly, lets talk about the staff. I always feel that whatever amenities a hotel has, the staff are the ones who will make or break a hotel. In this case, the Mayfair is a hit. From the receptionist who made sure we were given a lovely room, to the concierge who was the best I've ever come accross and simply couldn't do enough for us, the staff are exceptional at the Mayfair. I have never been looked after with such dedication in all the years I've been travelling. The level of service was extremely impressive, while never being intrusive.

Then the room. We were lucky enough to be assigned one of the newly refurbished rooms. This was spacious, spotless and very stylish. There were a few bits and pieces missing due to the rooms not being completely finished (mini bar), but seeing as the concierge offered to personally visit a local liquor store and purchase anything we wanted, this was hardly an inconvenience. There was a hot tub on the balcony which we were dying to use after having a long days' driving from the Key's behind us. Unfortunately, this heats up to 102 degrees and is simply impossible to sit in without broiling. I put my foot in for a few seconds and the water was so hot that my skin was still pink and tender the following morning. I did check with the concierge and he confirmed that the temperature was correctly set. I fail to understand why it should be so hot that it is impossible for people to use and why the temperature can't be adjusted. Surely a way round this can be found. Quite disappointing to have such a facility and not be able to use it for such a silly reason.

Hotel amenities - the hotel is presently in the middle of refurbishments which are scheduled to complete Winter 2004, but were not completed by the date of our visit of 13th January. There is therefore no functioning restaurant in the hotel and the lobby is quite small as a result of construction work going on. To compensate, the hotel offers guests a free continental breakfast and free beer wine and soft drinks between 5.30 and 7pm each evening. It would be a good idea to phone the hotel and check to see the status of the refurbs before you book if this is something that might bother you.

Area - there is lot to do in the area, lots of shops, bars, restaurants, galleries. This is a good thing and a bad thing. You are literally on the door step of a lot of lovely facilities, but unfortunately, the proximity of all of this (including a nightclub directly opposite the hotel) makes for a very noisy environment. The noise was constant. Neither myself or my husband were able to get to sleep until about 4, after a police officer had finally chased away the revellers using a loudspeaker, telling them to get off her kerb! There is also major construction work taking place across the road. Work starts at 7am - so if you like your sleep, this is perhaps not the best hotel for you at the moment. The hotel advises that the construction work will be completed in about 6 months and the disco will also be closed down by then, but in the meantime, beware...

Generally, I got the feeling that the Mayfair was trying hard to please their guests. Once the refurbs are finished, the construction is finalised and the disco across the road is closed down for good, this will probably be a first class hotel. In the meantime, however, there is better value for money to be had elsewhere, unless you are willing to put up with the inconvenience in return for exceptionally good service and gorgeous rooms. The choice will be yours at the end of the day. Good luck.

Mayfair ruins honeymoon

My husband and I toured the mayfair 6 months in advance, and reserved a very special suite for our very special night. We toured each room offered and chose a lovely venetion style suite with an indoor jacuzzi, large kingsized bed, and seperate dinig area with a self playing piano, and large bathroom. The reservations were to host my two bridesmaids, mother and two aunts for a small sandwoch a cookie gathering the night before the wedding, and then my honeymoon the following evening.
At check in we were given a tiny room, nothing like the one we had reserved. A double bed, a tiny bathroom, and an outdoor jacuzzi that was tiny and far from private.

When we went to tell them a mistake was made we were given a gruff take it or leave it attitude, and in the end went home as the bed, and room we were given were smaller than our accomodations at home. For the money we had paid, (later got a refund)- we got less service, accomodations and kindness than I have recieved at the local super eight. I would definately pass on this historic hotel with a serious lack of kindness.

Pretty, but problems

Mayfair Hotel and Spa is currently undergoing renovation. Hence, some great rates. Our room was pretty--art deco furnishings, lovely bathroom, plasma TV, etc. However, there were jackhammers going at 4pm Sat., the pool, restaurant, lounge, etc. were all closed for renovation. No one mentioned a spa available. Our balcony had an empty hot tub which overlooked the dumping area for construction. Also, no soundproofing has been done, so rooms on the street hear lots of noise on Sat. night even with sliding doors closed. The concierge was unaware of a huge Miami Carribean Mardi Gras which closed down streets. He indicated there was too much going on in Miami to keep up.

Not what we expected...

by TripAdvisor Member DJC2006

Please heed my warning!!:

Until now, I have always had a great experience with booking hotels in the US...

Some advice though, if the concierge tells you that a hotel has to move or refund you if you are not happy, don't complete check in!

It started when we were given a smoking room at check in, which we changed. Front desk insisted the stinky room was fine and said it was non-smoking throughout - there was an ashtray in the room!

There was no pool, spa, restaurant etc., even though it was supposed to be complete by 3/1/5. The nightclub outside our room did not close until 4pm. We got no sleep.

We got up the next day and went to the front desk. I was surprised at their lack of surprise when we asked how to get a refund! (This must happen a lot). Expedia did everything for us and will look into the hotel.

I know people complain on websites, but I just hope someone heeds the warning I should have detected in other reviews. You really would be better off anyway else.

Finally, to prove the point, when we waited for our car a couple came up to us and asked if we had stayed there. They look tired and upset - and were checking out early too!

Renovation

by TripAdvisor Member ymclain

The hotel is very nice and different; atrium open to the sky, very South Pacific feel. The location is great for those wanting to party and shop at Cocowalk. However, around 3:30 AM, when the bars close, the street noise sounds like a riot, especially on Thursday nights! The Mayfair Hotel informed me they were undergoing renovations, due for completion March 2005 per the website. Since my stay was late February, I thought, okay, most renovations will be done. Not so. Although I was given a "renovated" room, some of the furniture, ie sofa, was not there. While the decor was very nice, the doors had not been refinished and were in dire need of attention, scratches on the mahogany, etc. Also the hot tub on the balcony was in very bad shape. Hopefully, all of these small problems will be remedied when renonvation is completed. The front desk response to calls and questions was poor and service is absent. The complimentary continental breakfast was very nice.

Unique and beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member dwirthwein

Chose this hotel with guidance from this site --- and was glad we did. Stayed 1 night, in late March --- and am still talking about the place. The most unique place we've ever stayed.

Hotel IS under renovation - as others have written - but we knew that full well going in --- and were greatly surprised by the beauty and uniqueness of the place. Its open-air atrium is filled with lush plants and water features --- and beatiful, intricate tiling and wood carvings are everywhere in the hotel.

Our 600 square foot room was booked for just $159/night on the Kimpton Hotel site. In addition to marble tiled floor (no carpet!) - which kept us cool --- we had a 42" plasma TV - a hot tub on the balcony and a marble floored/walled bathroom of immense size and luxury.

One warning.... though situation worked out well for us... While at least two sides of the hotel look directly out on narrow side streets... at least one side of rooms of the hotel looks out directly on a wall of another building --- just some 10 or so feet away, Therefore, your balcony looks out on a blank wall... Not that great if you value your view --- but wonderful if, like us, you didn't have swimsuits with you to enjoy the hot tub --- and welcomed the privacy of not needing them... (you get the picture!)

Only slight disappointment was the adjacent CocoWalk retail/restaurant development --- just 50 ft or so from the front door... While it IS close ---- and looked, on paper, like a good place to while away a few afternoon hours, it was nearly deserted of both shoppers --- and tenants --- during our visit. Lots of 2nd rate retail stores mixed with a selection of well-known (Cheesecake Factory) and little known restaurants. Not the place I was hoping to find... I'm assuming it was once a step above this and has declined. (With that said, I found Coconut Grove less appealing than I'd hoped - though the location was great for getting other places we wished to go --- Key Biscayne, South Beach, etc...)

The hotel, on the other hand, was a steal at this price and just about the most interesting place we've stayed.

Mayfair Hotel Suites not so sweet

Beware the Mayfair House Hotel in Coconut Grove, Florida.
This quaint boutique hotel promotes that all their rooms are suites with seperate sitting area, jacuzzis on the balcony and plush furnishings.

I can only say I was dissappointed on all counts and hope this review will encourage them to tell the truth and not dissappoint future travelers like myself who felt helpless once we had our reservations and checked in.

First of all the rooms are not suites but rooms. There are no seperate sitting areas. When we checked in I was told that all the suites had been given out and I was pretty much out of luck even though I had reserved one. My room had a bed, two night stands, a bureau which was unusable and a table and two chairs. No pictures on the walls, very spare, like a monastary. The area where there would have been a sofa or sitting area was vacant. They told me that the furniture had not been delivered as yet, so I was basically out of luck. We had a half furnished room.

The jacuzzi on the balcony is almost twenty years old, and to work it you must be an electrical engineer. Instructions tell you that it takes an hour and 1/2 to get it working. We never did and gave up out of fustration. In addition you can probably fit two small children in one.

Even though we told the hotel we were two people sharing the room their was only one robe, toiletries for one, and towels for one. Even though we requested amenities for two. After requesting two robes twice they finally brought another robe which was a worn out cotton one which had been laudered plenty. Not like the one nice plush robe which was in the room.

All in all a very dissappointing expereince!

great time

we stayed in late march 2005 also...it was overall a gre at place but the pool wasnt working...imsure once they get it up and running it will definatly be a 5 star....the inside is completely beautiful...........glad we stayed..might even go back in october!

Comments