50 Alhambra Plaza, Coral Gables, Florida, 33134, United States

Costs 32% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hyatt Regency Coral Gables

Perfect stay at the Hyatt/Coral Gables, FL

by TripAdvisor Member Patricia048

I just returned from the Hyatt/Coral Gables, Fl. We attended a wedding and celebrated our Anniversary. I have been to alot of hotels and am very particular about where I will lay my head. Our stay here was 2nd to none. We caught a red eye from California and arrived early Saturday morning, and we were fearful that we would not be able to get into our room right away. Upon check-in, our room was ready, they had an envelope with our name on it with our breakfast coupons and within 5 minutes we were on our way up to get rested before the wedding that evening. The room was impeccable, we had a Petite Suite with a balcony facing the pool. There was a spacious living area, a large bedroom area and a large bathroom with beautiful marble and you could actually walk into the closet and close the door. The staff were very courteous and attentive. The restaurant staff at 2 Sisters were very accommodating and room service was great. This is a very quite Hotel and the area is also very quite, which is what we prefer. We ventured out to the Beach and shopping areas but were glad to be able to comeback to the serenity of the Hotel. If we ever go back anywhere near Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, we will definitely stay there. The valet was steep, but you get what you pay for and we were pleased and happy to pay for the great service we received the four days that we stayed there. My hats off to this Hyatt!

OK. Nothing more, nothing less

Not a bad hotel, but in need of a little updating. You can tell that its due a refurb - the elevators are old, the bathrooms have noisy fans, and things are looking a little tired around the edges.

The pool area is OK - nothing special, although the opening hours of the pool bar seem quite unpredictable.

Front desk staff were helpful - especially the concierge.

We also found that if you ask nicely, the front desk staff will give you free breakfast vouchers. Breakfast otherwise is relatively expsensive, but hey this IS coral gables!

Satisfactory overall, but don't expect to be blown away.

Very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member bental80

We recently stayed in a "Terrace Suite" at the Hyatt Regency. We are absolutely astounded that this place has receieved such high reviews.

As prior writers have mentioned, while the lobby and other visible areas are nice, the rooms and hallways are in dire need of renovation. Our "suite" turned out to be a single, large room with an armoire plopped down between the living area and the bedroom. There was otherwise no separation at all between the two.

Unless you are lucky enough to get a room with a patio, the "terraces" are so narrow that the chairs just barely fit on them and you can't actually sit out on the terrace unless you are sitting completely sideways.

Our room was extremely dark. There was limited lighting (either overhead or by lamps) and even with the curtains open it was extremely dim inside.

One final small point: two lamps were plugged into a single outlet next to the bed. There was an alarm clock that apparently was also supposed to be plugged in there but was unplugged when we arrived. So we essentially had to choose between having two lights on or having one light and moving the bed ourselves in order to plug in an alarm clock.

This is an OK hotel and had decent service and great location, but it is certainly not a luxury hotel and it is not worth the money.

Don't get a corner room !

by TripAdvisor Member traffert

It's true, the lobby, restaurants and pool are all great. The location is also a bonus, you can actually walk around and get to dozens of different restaurants.

But we were disappointed by our room. Admittedly we got a great price on Expedia and I'm wondering if we were 'punished' as a result. We got a very small corner room which was annoying because we were a family of 3. For the price (around $120 per night) it was OK, and it was clean. But that was it, just OK.

Allright!

by TripAdvisor Member AvR

Considered the price we had payed on Priceline, this hotel was just fine. Lobby and entrance look great, rooms are fine. Pool is great too.

High parking fees are a setback though, although overnight parking is free in front of the hotel.

quiet

by TripAdvisor Member annpharm

We were very happy with the Hyatt. It was a central location to all we planned to visit. (South Beach, zoo,parrot jungle,everglades) Was clean enough, some marks on the wall where pictures used to be(for those who care about those things).Pool was nice.Seems to be more of a business person place, which was fine with us, no screaming kids running up and down the halls. Staff was helpful and friendly. There is a parking charge which we were aware of before we got there. No other surprise charges. For the price we paid we were more than satisfied.

Nice facilities, customer service needs improvement

by TripAdvisor Member Stendec

Stayed for business the week of October 16, 2006. The lobby and pool area are very nice, with Spanish influenced architecture and art. The "gold passport" level room was fine, but lacked any outlets by the bed, and had an odd chemical smell that I was told came from some new bedding. In fact switched rooms because of it, but the new room smelled the same. The staff was fairly attentive, but seemed to lack the training expected from a luxury hotel. They treated you more like you would expect at a discount hotel, and not a Hayatt. I was a bit put out by paying $200 per night, and then being expected to pay $13 a day if I wanted Internet access in the room. Most good business hotels have free Internet. All in all "OK" but not worth the price.

Don't bother

by TripAdvisor Member AFrequentTraveller

Arrived here very early after a red eye flight from San Francisco. We had let the hotel know we would be early but knew we would probably have to wait. We had booked a suite which was something the front desk kept forgetting and we guessed we would be in for a long wait so went to Dennys for breakfast and then sat by the pool until our room was ready. Our Petit Suite was just that – petit and badly in need of redecorating. There’s also very little storage although there was an old empty fridge which I guess was once a minibar.

There’s a nice pool area but there’s construction going on across the street which is very noisy and starts very early in the morning. The hotel is also being used by the Kellog Business School so wannabe MBA’s wander around the pool area barking self importantly into their mobile phones. Shame they didn’t leave their egos at home and get a life!

The biggest problem with this hotel is the very variable quality of the staff. A few are excellent, most are mediocre and a few are absolutely useless. We had breakfast vouchers which we used the first morning – we were told they were only valid for a continental breakfast which was fine for us. The next morning we went to breakfast and were shown to a table. About 20 minutes later our server came over with menus, juice and coffee. She explained that we could have what we liked for breakfast for a few dollars more as the voucher would be offset against the cost. We decided to have coffee, juice and bacon and eggs. After another 30 minutes the server came back and took our order and promised more coffee. After 1 hour and 10 minutes our breakfast was delivered having spent some considerable time on the counter but still no coffee. We ate the lukewarm food and decided to quit while we were ahead but again no sign of any staff. My wife went and found a manager and our bill was delivered with poor grace. Amazingly our server had awarded herself a 25% tip for not doing her job. My wife crossed this off and amended the total but when we checked later the full amount had been charged. We didn’t eat there again, instead we paid for breakfast at the local Dennys. I keep meaning to send those breakfast vouchers back to the General Manager.

We have stayed at this property many times but we came to the conclusion at the end of four days that the property is over priced and the staff are anything but friendly. Definitely our last stay here.

Definitely Overrated

by TripAdvisor Member JBIndianapolis

We just returned from a conference at this hotel, having stayed for four nights. Had we paid the $130 or so per night that other reviewers paid, we would have felt better about it. But at our standard conference/expense account rate of about $300 per night, this hotel is not worth it.

First, we had made reservations a couple of months in advance for a non-smoking room with a king bed, and we did not arrive late (about 7:00 pm). We were told by the front desk that no such room was available, notwithstanding our reservations. Instead, they put us in what was basically a hospitality suite (read: party room) with a fold-down murphy bed! Granted, it was larger than a standard room. It also had a dining table with seats for 6 and an alcove bar where we could station a bartender for entertaining our in-room guests (neither of which we needed). But the bed, when pulled down from the wall, stood about 15 inches off the floor, was a queen, not a king as we had been told, and was only slightly more comfortable than a sofabed. The TV was not visible from the bed, but rather only from the sofa, which was badly stained from spilled drinks. All we really wanted after a long flight was to lie in a comfortable king size bed and watch television, which we could not do. So much for being worth $300 per night.

Georgette at the front desk had told us that if we didn't like that room, we could see her the next morning and she would put us in the kind of room we had originally reserved. We went back the next morning and told her that we did want to move, and her reply was "Well, I'll add you to my waiting list." She apparently observed our mounting frustration with this hotel's decidedly casual approach to honoring reservations, as she put down her clipboard waiting list and instead consulted her computer and got us a new room right away (finally). The new room was exactly what we had originally wanted, apart from some tired bathroom fixtures and worn caulking around the tub that seemed more discount motor lodge than upscale luxury hotel.

The next morning, we ordered room service for delivery at 8:00. The delivery time was important, as I had a meeting to get to. At 8:20, it still had not been delivered, though the kitchen manager did call to say he was sorry, that it was on its way, and that there would be no charge since it was late. Five minutes later, the waitress brought our breakfast, and presented me with the check as normal. She apparently knew nothing about the offer to comp. our charge, and simply said with a shrug "you'll have to talk to my boss about that". I wrote "complementary" on the tally line, signed the ticket, and gave the waitress a cash tip. When the final bill came at the end of our stay, we were charged over $50 for that breakfast.

Now, mind you, I had not asked to be comped for that breakfast, they had simply offered it; and my final hotel bill for that 4-night stay was well over $1,000. So the $50 was not a big deal. But yet again, they had told me one thing and had done another - it was becoming a pattern. So when we checked out, I took the final bill to the front desk. I explained what had happened with the breakfast, that we had been told it would be complementary, and that we were billed anyway. At first, she wouldn't even look at the bill, and just glared at me. I finally actually had to ask, "May I show this to you?" At length, she looked at my bill, and removed the charge. But I walked away from my stay with the clear impression that my questions had been an imposition, and that guest service is not always the first priority at this hotel.

We agree with the other reviewers who liked the pool area and health club. However, one small suggestion is that at least one TV be installed in the health club. This is standard, inexpensive, and was missing at the Hyatt. My wife is hearing-impaired and prefers a TV to headphones when she exercises.

In fairness, I must add that the concierge and the valet parking staff were always courteous, helpful, prompt and professional - every time, and much appreciated. But that just makes the overall experience hit-and-miss at best.

Definitely not worth the 5 star rating, or even 4 stars for that matter, and definitely not worth what we paid. If you can get it for $100-150 per night, it's fine, as that's about what it's worth. But it's not anything close to 5 stars.

Trip Advisor Member, Indianapolis