Paradise Found Island Retreat

Tags

Kayaking Family Travel Water Sports

Dirty, Smelly and DO NOT RECOMMEND

by written on August 27, 2014

If I could give this place ZERO stars I would. This place is disgusting. Do not be fooled by these other reviews who must be friends of the owner. This place is a DUMP. It it not as pictured and does NOT accommodate the amount of guests the owner indicates. There are No "master bedrooms" on either floor of this place. A master bedroom indicates that it would have a bathroom. There is a community bath on each floor and a 1/2 bath with a toilet and sink. There is no central air. The owners also LIVES on the property literally within a stone's throw and is constantly in your business, even if you have nothing to hide. He also talks way too much and is annoying. He also has cameras all over the facility including the pool which is actually connected to HIS home, so it is super creepy. I would not let my children in the pool since he was watching them from afar. The place has roaches and ants, as well. While we stayed there, the down stairs toilet overflowed in the middle of the night and flooded the back bedroom and all of our belongings. I have 2 toddlers and we could not let them walk around. The owner never apologized once. He blamed us for using too much TP. C'mon man, really! All of the linens and towels are old and stained. The A/C unit downstairs is 2 window units and then another bedroom unit that sits on the floor like you get from Home Depot. He has old old mattresses that have the memory foam toppers on them, but he is not fooling anyone. It's like sleeping on a lumpy hill. I was so embarrassed that we booked this and asked friends to come to this place. He also CHARGES YOU for laundry and the dryer doesn't even work well. Its $2.50 a load. I have never rented a house where this is the case. Also, there was one roll of TP and one roll of paper towels for our 6 day stay with 3 families between the up and down stairs and one trash bag liner. This guy is SO CHEAP!!! He also has the A/C on a timer with the front door so it goes off if the door is open for longer than 7 minutes (literally). All of the water pressure is low flow. There are holes in the walls, foam caulking everywhere and it smells like an old dingy sea shack. The boat dock is just shy of 2 oyster bars so if you are not careful you will screw up your boat. The dock itself is barely making it. Also, the owner offered to take us out to the channel on his wave runner so we would not hit anything, but then later told us it was $30 and he waited around for the cash since he said he didn't have money to go see his friend play in her band at local restaurant/bar. And once he did braing us out the channel, he messed up and abandoned the channel and had us on a 8 inch grass flat and almost killed us all and we had to run hard and pass him to not get stuck or ruin our boat engines. Pathetic. He said that they must have moved the channel markers. (Sure buddy!) We were so so so disappointed and only stayed for 2.5 days because we couldn't take it anymore and he wouldn't leave us alone. Always creeping. We left and stayed down the road at the Plantation, which was very nice. I am not bitter. We did not ask for our money back. We just left. The only redeeming quality was the view, but I can see a sunset at any house on the west coast. I would not recommend AT ALL. There is no way someone had a wedding here, as the other review indicated. It is IMPOSSIBLE!! This place is awful awful awful.

Dirty, Smelly and DO NOT RECOMMEND

by written on August 27, 2014

Private island life rocks

by written on September 30, 2011

Our stay on this island was terrific. It was unlike any vacation we have ever taken before. We kayaked almost every day this week. My husband caught many red fish and he also got 24 doz blue point crabs, with just one trap, over the week we were there.
Me and the kids loved seeing the dolphins go by. We sat and had s'mores at the bon fire several nights. It is so amazing to see the sky out away from the city. I normally dont do the comment thing but when I saw the old review here I thought everyone needs to know what to expect. We hope to retun next spring. That is if Don can get free from work to go.
Jan and Don and Family

Unique Quality: The fact that there is only 2 homes on this island make it very private. We only took one this time but next will bring more of the family and take both homes.
Both were recently renovated and looked great. The fact that you get so much more for your dollar was what made it a great deal for us. We love to kayak and have our own but did not want to haul them with. So was great to have kayaks for all of us at one time. Even though we only saw about 6 boats a day go by we were only 15 min from Homosassa and or Crystal River to go out to eat and get supplies. We highly recomend this place and will tell all our familys and freinds what a great time we had.

Directions: This island is in the Ozello Keys, It is mostly residetial area. But there is a small store short order resturant just down the road about 2 min. Also one of the best seafood resturants is just around the corner. After that is 15 min to town to fi

great place to stay

by written on September 29, 2011

i think this is a great place to stay!
we stayed at this island and were more than pleased! we had a great time with no problems at all. the owner was close for anything we needed or questions that we had otherwise we really didnt see him. the pool was gorgeous! loved sitting on the deckside by the pool and just lounging and having a great time with friends.
i was a little surprised when we got there, the homes were much nicer and more comfortable than what the photos show.
the drive to town was not far at all although we mostly stayed at the island, we did do some shopping in Crystal River.
ken, the owner, took us on a jet ski tour out to the gulf and we seen a ton of dolphins and some stingrays and even a couple sharks! great day!
what can i say other than GREAT VACATION!!

Unique Quality: the pool was great! clean and perfect temp. i personally LOVE the hot tubs! we enjoyed the fire ring having smore's one night and the jet ski tour was FANTASTIC!

Directions: right in between Crystal River and Homosassa Florida

Great value, just as advertised, private island

by written on March 1, 2009

We stayed for week. We got to go out on the air boat see dolphins. Swam with the manatee. We thought having the owner around was great he new lots about the history of the area. Told great story's of the early days around the bonfire. Would much rather have a rental were some is around to help you if you need towels, or directions to a great hole in the wale to eat at. As he told us with 1 pool 2 spa and 24 zones of irrigation and 8 zones of low voltage lights . There were things to do to maintain the island every week.
Was a great experience for our family. We found the homes to be small but clean. We had seen each room of each home on the web site before going so knew what to expect.

Unique Quality: Was a private island with only 2 homes and the owner care taker. We paid about 40% of any other private island we could find. Our rental came with free use of 10 kayaks and 2 canes which would have cost us more to rent than our stay was.
I guess some people come in wanting a castle for almost nothing. We did see the trailer and truck that the owner uses for his vacations and had no prob with a owner of a property having his own travel trailer were he lives. It is posted on the site that he has it there and that he lives and is there to help and service you. We did not see that as a neg thing.

Directions: Is in the Ozello keys a area very similar to the Florida keys 30 years ago very undeveloped.

Dirty, expensive and not to be recommended

by written on January 10, 2008

We have stayed on this "island". First of all the island is not as secluded as advertised, the owner lives right next to the vacation home, including all his clutter (an RV, van, container) that is an eyesore. The homes the owner is speaking about on the website are two appartments. The lower unit is rather shack-like with two bedrooms just big enough to accommodate the beds. The common areas are very small and the kitchen does not even have cutlery nor china for 4 people (apart from plenty delivery plastic bowls). The spa and swimming pool are shared with the home owner, as they are at his house. The place is not really clean and not at all well kept. This also applies to his kayaks, boatplane and airboat. The upper unit is bigger and much better equipped, but still not worth the money we paid.
In summary, we were quite annoyed about the trip, the highly overpriced accomodation and the standard of the appartments. The only things I was impressed with were the photography skills of the owner and his marketing capabilities.
As we later heard from the locals, there had been complaints about this place before and we were offered help to find better accomodation next time.

Unique Quality: This place is somewhat close to the manatee diving spots

Directions: Out in the swamps

Harleyhawk22 Jun 12, 2014 at 7:41 AM

This booking was made by a lady that wanted your child to kayak in the islands but was paid for by a lady that would have rather been on Clear water beach. She had not even looked at the site before coming in as it is well shown what we have. She was so scared of nature that, was sure the kids would be ate by gators. She came in the gate with her nose in the air so far am surprised she did not drown. Yes i do own and use a Rv to travel to do my art shows. Yes I am on site to take care of the guest as posted on my site. We have a large pool 2 spa 18 zones of low voltage lightning 38 zones of irrigation. We work 7 days a week, over 5o hours a week to up keep this private island up. But lets face it some that never leave the city will not like being on a remote island with dolphins and eagles. It is sad that she who did not book this had to force the lady and her sick kid to go to Clearwater beach as ever communication I had with the lady that booked she had said she loved it and did not want to be in town. She and the child were loving it until the lady that gave the money to make a wish showed up. Then she and the child just sat there looking embarrassed. If you look around we have few unhappy customers as we well show the island and each room of each home.

• leics's Profile Photo
    leics Jun 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I am surprised you remember anything about this lady at all, given that the relevant review was written in 2008.

2 Photos of Paradise Found Island Retreat

Crystal River Travel Forum

Need advice about Crystal River, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Crystal River and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Crystal River hotel reviews

Comfort Inn Crystal River
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
The Port Hotel and Marina
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Econo Lodge Crystal River (2575 N Us 19.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review