2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 2.5 star hotels

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Boardwalk Inn & Suites

A great location. Right on the beach, oceanfront suite with a full kitchen, 2 separate bedroom areas, with a table and seating couch, NO BALCONY (older renovated hotel) but Great floor to ceiling full wall window of the ocean ...the pool and hot tub on patio next to the beach. Has a washer/dryer for use of the customers $2.25 per load washer, and same for the dryer. Located right on the beach, walking distance to the Main Pier (about 2 1/2 blocks) plus the ferris wheel is located there too. Also plenty of souvenir shopping and Winn Dixie is about 4 miles up Atlantic Avenue, so great location for that too. 7-11 is about one block away and liquor store and Pizza place across the street and a Sarge's Bar and Grill across the street too. Great pool area (large and heated) and outdoor bar.
    Great price for the location and hot breakfast in the morning from 7-10 with Waffles, eggs, sausage, bacon, muffins, bagels, donuts, milk, coffee and juice..FREE...great deal..the staff was nice. I enjoyed our three nights here..I was with my daughter, son and his fiancee..we all loved the hotel. The beds were so comfortable and the kitchen had dishes, silverware, stove, microwave and full size refrigerator.
    Highly recommend to all. I will definitely stay here again and again !!!!
    Also very important...FREE WiFi..No complaints..

• never AGAIN!!!

We stayed here in Aug 2012.. The view was awesome and so was the breakfast. But sadly I must say that the management and cleanliness need a MAJOR UPDATE! We saved some food, for dinner, and when we came back to our Rm to eat there was a roach in it.. We had to throw the food away!! After many attemps to talk to the manager he or she has failed poorly to return our calls. People there are better places and and cleaner. And cheaper, it's not worth the headache, I don't think I would recommend this place to anybody.. God bless u all.

Unique Quality: The view

More about Daytona Beach

A staff thats like familyA staff thats like family

Embry RiddleEmbry Riddle

body paint - 5Dbody paint - 5D

body paint - 3Fbody paint - 3F

Nice beach for families?

by Tracy1965

We're looking at Daytona Beach on March Break. Our kids are 12 and 9. I'm seeing mixed reviews about Daytona; some say it's great for kids but others call it "seedy" and a biker town, filled with partying college kids. I've been looking at the Best Western Aku Tiki Inn that has great reviews. We'd be driving down all the way from Toronto so to be disappointed after driving such a long way would be terrible! (We've also been looking at other beaches along the coast but I'm attracted to Daytona because we would like to go to the Daytona500 Experience.)
Your input?
Thanks in advance,
Tracy

by SunTanBob

I agree with Donna. That is prime spring break time and territory. The major east coast beaches (Daytona, Fort Lauderdale, Miami) may not be the best choice for families. Although Cocoa Beach is just south of Daytona and may be worth considering. And other smaller spots on the east coast such as Jupiter do not have the spring break draw.

Anyways, the west coast is full of beautiful beaches and overall is a more mellow, family-friendly scene up and down the entire coast. St. Pete/Clearwater, Venice Beach, Ft. Myers, all great options. Like you said, you are driving all the way from Toronto, so in my mind driving a few hours more to the Gulf coast in order to assure the type of beach vacation you want wouldn't hurt. If you really want the Daytona 500 Experience, consider doing 1 day in the Daytona area either on the way down or the way back to Toronto, perhaps stay close to the Speedway or possibly don't spend the night at all.

Hope this helps.

by micherrin

Spring Break in Daytona Beach is not what it used to be and definitely not at the Aku Tiki. The BW AK is a family oriented hotel on the quiet end of Daytona, Daytona Beach Shores. Unless you go looking for it, you will not even know it is Spring Break.

I agree to avoid Bike Week unless you ride. Rates are higher and streets are crowded.

Come and enjoy the beach and the Daytona 500 Experience...great fun.

by Azonie

We drove down to Daytona last year in May and EVERYTHING along the beach front was SEEDY! We HATED it. We were staying in St Augustine so we just headed back, the beach at Augustine is WAAAY nicer!

by golfer_ram

There've been many good points made above. Depending on the week and the luck of the college spring break draw, you could have a great experience or end up having to go home unsatisfied. Given your kids are 12 and 9, they should enjoy the Daytona 500 and I think they will also enjoy the NASA/Kennedy Space Center which is just an hour south of Daytona. Maybe you can think about using Daytona as just a transit town to experience the 500, and drive further down South or West to a more remote beach that doesn't have a Spring Break reputation.

by bonnies4winns

We will be arriving in Daytona for the first time on April 8. Can anyone tell me if most of the spring breakers are gone by then? Also, has anyone stayed at Perry's Resort? If so, I'd be interested in what you thought about it.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Travel Tips for Daytona Beach

Bikers are Unique Characters

by jadedmuse

Seeing the different types of people that go to Bike Week - the stories that play out on the bikers' faces....this is the best thing you can hope for, in my opinion.

The bikers themselves are definitely the Main Attraction. This couple are the best representatives for Bike Week, in my opinion. Age aside, they have a kind of scary look to them....lots of tattoos and body piercings, maybe even a little mean expression....

...but then you ask them if they'd mind posing for a photo, and they graciously stop and wait for you to snap a picture of them.

That's when you notice that the man is holding a non-alcoholic Gatorade drink in one hand, and the woman's fingernails are polished.

Yeah, they had their Hey-Day back in the late 60s and it probably involved a lot of Grateful Dead Shows and some peyote and tequila out in the deserts of New Mexico....but they're older, they're wiser...and they're mellow ambassadors from an Age of Freedom and Carefree Spirit that we'll never see again in our lifetime.

And that's when you recognize in yourself a kind of feeling of respect, wistfulness and yes, maybe even a little envy.

That's what I like about Bike Week.

biker bar

by doug48 about full moon saloon

the full moon saloon is another large biker bar on main street. the full moon saloon is owned by the same company as dirty harry's and bank & blues. a interesting bar to visit when on main street. casual (no gang colors).

The Boardwalk

by sarahjayn

The boardwalk at Daytona Beach is actually kind of fun. My ex-boyfriend, a friend of mine visiting from Germany, and I went to the boardwalk one day out of boredom and had a really good time. We played skee-ball (I am the bomb-diggity at skee-ball, by the way) and won enough tickets to trade in for a Zippo lighter with that sillhouette of a naked girl from, like, trucker on it mud flaps and a switch blade comb.
There's also tons of little junk shops here . . . Florida kitsch at its best. You can get pretty much anything made out of coquina shells here . . . and don't even talk to me about alligators and flamingos - they are on everything here!
Also, there's some history here - the boardwalk, pier, and bandshell were all built by the Works Progress Administration in 1938. The Pier is composed of coquina rock that was quarried from Flagler County. In the bandshell, there are free concerts from December to April.

DAYTONA BEACH....NOT JUST A PARTY TOWN

by Pawtuxet

"Lots of visits over the years..."

STILL A CONSTRUCTION SITE...

One of my proudest days was when our son, Christopher graduated from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. Known as the finest school of its kind in the country, Chris completed his Aviation Maintenance Technology degree with Avionics in the Florida sunshine. (he rather liked the sunshine part of it)
Of course the beaches are wonderful...everyone always got a kick out of driving their cars up and down on the beach to see and be seen by the beauties. We used to bring our kids when Chris was less than a year old, so he has a very long association with Daytona Beach.
If it's arcades you crave...there are plenty of amusements along the boardwalk. Large hotels overlook the beach and ocean....find one with a pool next to the beach, if the salt water doesn't appeal.
Another favorite is the Daytona Raceway. Christopher has NASCARs in his blood and a mother has to hope he never drives one of those! The speed of those cars as they come around in front of the stands is absolutely frightening. Plenty of thrills for a motorhead.
Explore still further and you'll find the old Daytona...still shaded by big oak old trees dripping with Spanish moss. We found a great B&B to stay in during Chris' graduation days. Best fresh squeezed orange juice we've ever had!

"Find a shady spot under an old oak tree"

Daytona Beach Know It All

by Daytona_Info

This is a Daytona Beach, Florida information site. It is about events such as Bike Week, Biketober Fest, Race Week, Spring Break. It includes ideas for things to do in the area (parks, beach info, etc.).

Comments