Tropical Winds Oceanfront Resort

Booking.com Tingo.com BookIt.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 12% higher than other 2 star hotels

• tropical winds

we had booked hotel in April 2011 for a trip in May. this was the sixth time going there , the clerk gave us a price which was a bit high, but we agreed, after going thru the websites for hotels in the area,found a much cheaper one with the same accomodations as the tropical, called Gwen and she said we would have to talk to the owner to see if they could reduce or match the same price, wrote the owner an e-mail and when I called her she said she would read it and to call her back in thirty minutes, when I called back ,she said she could not budge on the price, and that we were getting the best price possible , told her about other hotel and she said that they offered the inside swimming pool and the restaurant,we are not paying for extras at a hotel were these items should be included in the price, very disappointed with this decision so went to the other hotel, do not blame ms gwen for this as she has become a good friend and we did go see her on two occasions , welcomed us with open arms- maybe jumped too soon as we might of regretted that decision but I was really disturbed and again disappointed by the owner's response , will probably go back as it is a much nicer hotel, but did save some money on this trip.
    Kitchener ontario
    May 2011

More about Tropical Winds Oceanfront Resort

Loved This Hotel - Really!

by TripAdvisor Member Shanghi

My husband and I stayed at the Tropical Winds for 4 days during the first week of May. The room was immaculate and looked like it was recently renovated. In addition to the king-sized bed, there was a couch, desk/table with two chairs, a small fridge, microwave and coffee pot. An ironing board and iron were available at the front desk. In my opinion, this was a great bargain. We had an oceanfront room for under $90.00/day - wow, what a view. The public areas of the hotel were very clean and well kept. They have a small cafe that serves breakfast and lunch at very reasonable prices. We had breakfast for two (eggs, toast, juice and coffee) for under $9.00 including tip. The hotel staff was friendly and never hesitated to be helpful. Anyone that has a complaint about this hotel probably is a chronic complainer.

Better than we thought!

by TripAdvisor Member Steve_n_Diane

We had a great time at Tropical Winds! Our only complaint might be that Daytona Beach has a strange sense of direction; coming up from the south, Atlantic Avenue locations on the oceanside are odd numbered until you get halfway to Ormond Beach, then suddenly they're even numbered, which is confusing. Don't let that scare you. Tropical Winds Oceanfront Resort is definitely right on the beach. Be sure to get an oceanfront room. It is definitely worth the little extra cost. The views up and down the beach are wonderful and at night the sound of the surf is so loud you won't need that sound machine you brought to put you to sleep. It is far away enough from Daytona Beach proper that it's not loud at night, but it's close enough and the trolley bus comes right by. The cafe was reasonable and the breakfast omelets were great. The staff was very helpful and we had no problems at all. Get a big umbrella and chairs from the nice young man on the beach and just lay back and enjoy!

Terrific Value and Tremendous Fun

by TripAdvisor Member Simmons440

We just returned from Daytona, yesterday. We checked in Friday, late. The hotel looked crisp and clean with survaillence cameras in the lobby. Ton"s of parking spaces, you can even park behind the building on the beach. But we left our car, right out front and it was just fine. No problems.
Friendly , English speaking check in. Whenever I called the front desk for anything, I was greeted with a wanting to please, attitude and we had an Oceanfront Effeciency. Very large room with a full equiped kitchen. It was just lovely. The sliding door on the balcony did not stick at all.The carpeting was new and the room was freshly painted too. The bedspreads and sheets were very new and colorful, draperies were clean and fresh. And the beds are very comfortable, they aren't hard at all. I slept like a baby on the pillows. The AC was arctic. And we let it run full blast.
The view is spectacular.The water pressure in the shower was awesome. It even had a massaging shower head. If you shower the sand off your feet, down at the beach you don't get sand in your room or the shower, Duh!!! Both the indoor and outdoor pools were clean and cool. And you could swim as late as you pleased.
The cafe is excellent. You have got to try it. We had Western omlettes home made biscuits, crisp bacon(not greasy) the home fries were delicious, but the prices was even better. And the service was , outstanding. The servers were very personable and genuine. They made us feel like they were glad we were there. Extremely inexpensive!! The service was charming and we really felt at home.
Why pay high prices to stay on the beach when you can stay at the Tropical Winds and have the vacation of a life time? Believe me, you won't be sorry. We can't wait to come back. We made it our home away from home on Daytona Beach! Relax and Enjoy!
Try the pizza, from one of the many flyers you'll find in your room upon arrival. It was delicious! Our thanks to the Tropical Winds and Expedia for a fantastic stay. We were so happy, I wrote this review.

Nice enough

by TripAdvisor Member Lovetotravelthebeach

For a beach side Hotel, this one was OK...The smell coming out of our AC was pretty bad, and our bed was hard as a rock.

We stayed two nights there, after turning AC off the first night and letting the oean breeze try to cool the room, and an uneventful night of tossing and turning. We spoke to the front desk the next morning, and was told all the beds there were the same but they would bring us up blankets and extra pillows to try and make the bed more comfortable and also would change the filters in the AC.

They did bring extra pillows and an extra blanket. We took the extra one and the one we had on the bed and placed them under the sheet. Along with a sleeping tablet we slept through the 2nd night.

I thank the hotel for trying to make us comfortable, would have gone to another hotel after the first night, but we had paid ahead of time.

Wonderful location, very quite and nice beach area. Would I stay again? Probably not, just because I need softer beds to sleep in.

Very nice!

by TripAdvisor Member MartyL

After checking reviews of other hotels and the reviews of Tropical Winds, I choose Tropical Winds. The price was right and it sounded like a good place for a mini-vacation for me and my husband. We had a very good time. As others have mentioned there always seemed to be someone cleaning something in the hotel. Our room was a nice size (loved the balcony and the view overlooking the beach!) -- it was clean and well stocked with towels and kitchen items (even with a small bottle of dishwashing soap). I loved the fact that they had extra towels to use for the pools plus the heated indoor pool was great! The hotel staff was very friendly and nice. The Cafe was nice too and the staff very friendly even though we only ate there once since they were closed for repairs on one day. All in all we had a good time and I would go back to Tropical Winds again.

Hotel was decent

by TripAdvisor Member sunnyflmom

My family of 5 went to Daytona Beach for a quick weekend getaway. We only live an hour and a half away in Orlando. I was not too impressed with Daytona Beach, maybe it was off season being November. We went to the boardwalk and aside from hopping bar/restaurants filled with rowdy people, there was not much for the kids.
The hotel itself was ok. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I was offered the opportunity to look at several rooms before choosing one. The first one fit my family's needs just fine. We chose the kings size ocean view room on the 3rd floor. We had a view of the neighboring hotels pool and the beach off to the left. The balcony was quite small, the back of the air conditioner blew hot air, the door stuck quite a bit and the light bulb was burned out so I could not read outside after dark.
I like a soft bed and found the king bed to be almost hard as a rock. But it was nice to have the space of a king bed.
I checked the pullout and found it to be bare of sheets and no pillows supplied in the room. The hotel had someone make up the bed within minutes but she only left one pillow, while the bed obviously sleeps two. I ended up borrowing a pillow from my parents who also had a room nearby, rather than calling the desk again.
The king bed had a sheet and a vellux blanket. I would have preferred an extra blanket available for more weight. I chose to be a little chilly rather than use the bedspread which is supposed to be a big N0-No.
You couldn't beat the proximity to the beach. Just a few steps away. The consistency of the sand was nice, not too coarse or shelly. However, the constant traffic made it nerve racking to watch that my 4 year didn't run in front of a car or truck. Not every motorist observed the 10 mph speed limit. But even with slow cars, it is not a safe place for very young children.
Being November, we were lucky to get an 80 degree day. By late afternoon though, it started to cool off. Obviously the outdoor pool was too cold (it's not heated). It was actually colder than the ocean. The indoor pool was nicely heated and felt great. The room was painted with a cute mural but it was a cement room that echoed loudly. Not a place for quiet relaxation. Plus the room is too small for a lounge chair, upright resin chairs only.
The price, however was fantastic. We got a room with an ocean view for less than $60. But then again, it was November.

Very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member pharmacist2000

My wife and I were put into Tropical Winds for two nights by the travel company in Daytona Beach. I didn't know where we were staying, therefore I couldn't research it and know what to expect. It was actually quite nice.

We weren't impressed with Daytona Beach itself - it was January, just off-season (kids went back to school the day before) and quiet. And all the buildings/resorts around (including this one) were older than what we were used to. There isn't a whole lot to do there except go on the beach (too cool and cloudy to swim in the ocean while we were there), go to the pier, and go downtown to the bars (if that's your thing). We were just in crazy Orlando for three days before so maybe we weren't used to the much quieter, slower pace!

As for the hotel, it was alright. We had a larger room off the side, which faced north along the ocean. It was clean - you can tell the carpet was new and the walls were freshly painted. They work hard to keep the hotel clean. Our room also had a microwave and mini fridge, which was nice because we like to go the the supermarket for our food. The bed was fine, and the cafe downstairs was great, and very inexpensive!! The older fellows that ran it made you feel right at home!

We could stay there again if we ever found ourselves in Daytona Beach again.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member GeorgiaGirl229

My best friend, her sister and I stay at the Tropical Winds every year during BCR. 2007 will make our 6th year staying there. Miss Gwen is awesome and very helpful every year we call. The staff is friendly and helpful even though they are working during the very busy weekend. We can't wait to come back this year!!!!!! Thanks guys and keep up the good work!!!!!

Definately Recommend!

by TripAdvisor Member dflower246

Our stay was great! We had friends stay with us the first night, and we didn't even have to ask for extra blankets or pillows..they were offered to us!!!!! All the staff was very nice and willing to help us out in anyway. If I had to say anything negative..it would be to make the check-out time later, that way we could have really taken our time, but it wasn't that bad. 11:00 a.m. is the typical check-out time anywhere you go. And, we had an ocean view room, but it was part of the Penthouse, they had reserved separately, so our balcony was rather small, but useable. Overall, we would definately recommend this hotel to a friend, and will stay there again!

Don't overlook the Tropical Winds Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member momommius

I was a little concerned on booking this hotel as it had received some "bad press" in the past; but the price was right, and we were on a limited budget for our trip to florida.
This hotel was wonderful! It surpassed all my expectations, and had everything we could possibly want. We had a double room on the third floor that overlooked the ocean. It came with a very nice kitchenette which included sink, stove, microwave, and a full-size refridgerator. The room was clean, and everyone there at the hotel was very friendly and helpful.
You could not have asked for a nicer inexpensive hotel. If you are looking for some 5 star snooty hotel, go someplace else. But, if you are looking for a nice, reasonably price, hotel with friendly staff, this should be the place to drop your bags! Don't overlook this wonderful hotel; it has a lot to offer!

bank & blues clubbank & blues club

Bobby jumping in the waves on Daytona BeachBobby jumping in the waves on Daytona Beach

sunsetsunset