Palm Plaza Oceanfront Resort

Rated 26% higher but also costs 28% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Palm Plaza Oceanfront Resort

What a great time !

by TripAdvisor Member Iowacane

The Palm Plaza was a treat to stay in. My Wife and I stayed there for Memorial Day weekend.
The staff was friendly, the rooms had new beds and appliances, and the rooms were clean.
One of the 2 Swimming Pools is heated, and the Hotel provides Pool towels for guests.
We had a really great time. It was sad to leave, but we will be back.
This is our new place to stay in Daytona Beach.
By the way, this is on the South end, and is a little quieter.

This is a Three-Diamond AAA Rated Resort?

by TripAdvisor Member BuckeyeHoosier

I came to the conclusion that the only reason this hotel received a three-diamond rating from AAA is because every room faces the ocean.

I stayed here for two weeks for work and I would never go back. The room keys (as someone has already mentioned) are the type with the punched out holes (not the magnetic type where they can be recoded). So if you lose your key outside, change rooms or check out.

The website advertises free wireless internet in the lobby (which was nice) and wired internet in the rooms. It took me four days to figure out how to use the internet in the room. First, it wasn't connected to the wall (DSL through the phone). Second, when I called the front desk for help, the gentlemen who answered said he didn't know how it works and that I needed to call the vendor who provides the service for them. I was given the 800# to call. However, the Palm Plaza charges you $0.50 per 800# call. I used my mobile and didn't get through to the vendor. I was able to figure it out the next day when a co-worker told me the connection was behind the T-V, but the cable that connects into your computer was short, thankfully the cable I travel was longer. The router was in fact behind the T-V... in a mess behind the T-V cabinet. While looking for the connection, I also discovered the HBO guide from June 2006 (I stayed in Feb 2007)... along with some other unvaccumed debris.

The room had a moldy smell.

It was nice to have a full-size fridge in the room, along with a sink and an electric range. They do provide silverware and plates, but do not provide soap to wash the dishes. They will charge you extra if they find the dishes were not cleaned.

The elevators were in poor working order.

The hotel is currently renovating to meet ADA Standards.

The workout room featured three pieces of equipment with a 13" T-V mounted in the corner of the room.

All of the rooms have an outside entrance.

The hotel tried to feature a "Tiki Bar" outside next to the pool with buy one get one free drinks. This occured on the weekend and then the following weekend, they brough the bar inside since it was too cold outside. The Palm Plaza needs to take the money and resources dedicated to this "Tiki Bar" and put it toward improving other areas of the hotel. If guests need a bar to drink at, they can either stock their full size fridge with booze or walk across the street to the dive bar to quench their thirst.

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member dolphinfan200013

I stayed here in 1999 and it was pretty decent. This was my first trip since then. I only stayed here because I waited too late to make reservations at our usual hotel. I won't do it again. Since then it has been bought by someone else. As far as I can tell there have been no renovations or remodeling done since 1999. My room was musty smelling. I contacted the manager and it took him 4 days to get back to me. I also contacted the regional manager and he told me there was nothing he could do. You know a room is bad when they have to put a purifier in it and it doesn't help. I requested non smoking and was told when I checked in that the whole floor was non smoking. I had ash trays in my room and my families next door had them as well. I felt like I was lied too. The hall way was filthy and wasn't swept all week. The elevators are in terrible shape. One of the two pools stayed filthy. Both pools have a very short 3 1/2 ft section, not good for kids. They charge 5 dollars a day to park, that is the first time I have had to pay to park at a hotel in Daytona Beach Shores. I contacted Triple A to see how they got qualified, apparently I am not the only one. I gave the agent the location and she knew it was the Palm Plaza. She said if they get enough complaints they will loose their AAA rating for two years.

Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member knight_who_says_nii

While we enjoyed the Palm there are few gripes,so lets get them of of the way first.This is the first hotel I've encountered that has the gall to charge guests to park in the hotel parking lot($5 per day).There are other silly charges they try to tack on to the bill at checkout so beware(use of the in-room safe/etc).I wonder how many repeat customers they lose due to these tacky charges.The elevators are as reported:old,slow and to the less adventurous,just plain scary.My kids and I found them fun and quirky.To my wife they were nerveracking.Button lights burnt out,strange sounds,rumbles and shutters and the emergency door stop that didn't always seem to work.Luckily we were on the 3rd floor so we took the stairs as much as possible.Not out of safety concerns just convience as it sometimes took 15 minutes to get from the pool level to the 3rd floor.Now about the "breakfast buffet".Of the 5 days we stayed they were out of most items all 5 days.Most days it was limited to juice,coffee,a couple cereal box choices,boiled eggs? and toast(a couple days english muffins).One day they had doughnuts and muffins but they didn't last very long.But then again do you really need doughnuts for breakfast?Also the breakfast area is closet sized with guests bumping into one another with cups of hot coffee.From other reviews it seems this is a common complaint.I think its time they revamp the breakfast area and menu or scrap it all together.Do away with "fitness room" and expand the breakfast area into that space. Who needs a treadmill when there is the beach to run on each morning.Also,yes the balcony railings are as flimsy as reported in previous reviews and while the beds are small but comfortable the pillows are a joke(bring your own).
As for the positives.I think the best attribute is location.All rooms have oceanfront balconies and it's just a short stairway from the pool deck directly to the beach.The pool deck is well maintained with two very clean,heated pools and hot tub. Each day there were planned activities for the kids on the deck and beach.While the rooms are older they are clean and have a large fridge,stove,microwave,coffemaker and an air cleaner. One of the nicest features was the newer a/c units with digital thermostats that actually kept the room quite comfortable.
If Ocean Waters were to invest a few bucks to upgrade the elavators and breakfast area and eliminate the annoying surcharges the Palm Plaza could be the best value in Daytona.As it is I would recommend it for <$100/day. We paid $83 plus tax(and of course $5 a day parking-grrrr).

Not Safe

by TripAdvisor Member t.mill

This was not a good hotel. First, I had reserved a group of rooms on the same floor 5 months in advance for a family reunion. When I arrived at the hotel I was told that they had a couple of the rooms reserved for the following month. They did nothing to resolve this issue even when I requested help several times. Also, the elevators were so slow that many times we had to take the stairs due to the length of waiting time. One day we had to waid through puddle sof water to even get to our room because they were cleaning the outside of the hotel and water was left to drip and pool in the hallways. The worst eperience, however, was the fact that one of the members in our group got their room broken into and quite a bit of cash and medicine stolen from their luggage. The doors at this hotel do not shut very well and you have to slam them shut. They also use the key carsd from the 1980's where it is just a palsic card with holes in it. This leads to doors not locking properly. The hotel had a man on video breaking into the room and leaving with our property. They told us they would do what they could to resolve the issue. We had to beg to move rooms that day because we did not feel comfortable slleping in the room where the intruder had spent 3 hours hanging out (from video footage). All I cna say is that 6 months later and several phone calls to the hotel and we have not gotten one bit of reconcilation. No refund, no vouchers, no appolgies. I would never recommend that anyone stay at this hotel.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member york7sc

I don,t understand the other reviews. We stayed here 5 days with no problems in November 2006. The rooms were clean. Staff very friendly. This is my fifth stay at this hotel now over the past five years.
I will agree the elevators do get slow at check out time. But this happens at all hotels that have more than a few floors.
We always enjoy our stay. and enjoyed swimming in the outdoor heated pool.
We will stay again.

I'd go back

by TripAdvisor Member Snarky

Stayed here on business for several nights. The hotel isn't perfect, but I enjoyed my stay enough to want to go back while on vacation.

There's both wired and wireless internet access that is free. The wired port isn't in a convenient spot on the wall, but there's no problem getting a wireless signal.

The hotel is away from the attractions and hustle and bustle. That means you can open the balcony door and hear nothing but the ocean, day or night. It's really relaxing.

There are some neat mom & pop type of restaurants not far away on the river banks under the bridge, and the front desk will help you find them. The front desk staff was very friendly and let me know as soon as a delayed bag was delivered by my airline.

It's an older property that's been refurbished. It could probably stand a new coat of paint, and the appliances in the kitchenette look like they're 30 years old. That being said, the place had character and was comfortable, and all of my dealings with the staff were excellent.

I'm not wild about the door keys. They're the ones that have holes punched in the card that you insert - so if someone doesn't return their key, they can come back and get into that room. I would prefer an electronic lock that is programmable.

Not bad at all for the price (under $80)

by TripAdvisor Member ms8wotw

My husband needed an inexpensive place to stay while working in nearby Port Orange. He would not have a vehicle, so we were looking for something close to the jobsite that wouldn't cost a fortune in cab fare. I went ahead and booked it, still uncertain about it after reading the reviews. We only live a few hours away, so I drove him down. I was very pleasantly surprised by this property. I've stayed in Daytona Beach twice a year for several years, and have come to expect that there is just an outdated, shabby look to most properties there. This one suprised me! Hubby requested a king size bed, and got it. The room was very clean, satisfactorily furnished with the bed, an easy chair in front of the television, a table and four chairs, and a well-equipped kitchenette. The bath seemed to have been updated recently. He enjoyed sitting on the balcony looking at the ocean in the evenings, found it to be quiet, and perfectly safe.

We enjoyed it

by TripAdvisor Member DutchDerk

We, Franca and Derk from The Netherlands, stayed here for 1 night, April 29-30. Had room 712. Enjoyed our stay. 68 Dollar for an oceanfront room! Kind personnel, beautiful view. Room was clean, all kitchen-appliances. Vending machine downstairs. Two pools at good temperature, one hot tub outside. We can recommend it and will certainly return some day when we are again in the Sunshine State.

Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member mixsonanderson

I just stayed here for three nights with my 5 year old son. The hotel is located right on the beach with all the rooms having a balcony facing the ocean. The room was nice and clean. It has three pools two full size, one kiddie and a jacuzzi. I loved the location it is on the quite part of the beach but it only took us 5 minutes to drive to the boardwalk. I will stay here again. The only draw back was that it doesn't have WI-Fi through out the hotel.

Comments