Ariel Dunes Condominiums Destin

Orbitz.com Booking.com BookIt.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 118% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Destin

destin harbor marinadestin harbor marina

Ad for boat rides.Ad for boat rides.

Wave runnersWave runners

Food Central!Food Central!

How about the mosquitos?

by johnandlynclarke

We are coming next week. How are the mosquitos? Do I have to arm myself with 100% DEET and after bite treatments?

Re: How about the mosquitos?

by maestrousmc

I grew up and Destin and lived there until I finished High School. The only time I ever remember mosquitos being a problem was when my friends and I went camping. Unless I was continuously in the right place at the right time I think you'll find the same. As in any location in a tropical climate, I'm sure they appear intermittently. So if you're extra sensitive to the bites, I suggest you take precautions.

Re: How about the mosquitos?

by Sarah30a

Mosquitoes won't be too bad right now. The worst I think is the black flies which typically come at the end of August or early September time frame. They make the beach unusable.

Travel Tips for Destin

Okaloosa Island vs Destin

by Aliseeya

If you are debating between staying on Okaloosa Island or Destin, let me give you a few pointers.

First, Okaloosa Island is much older than Destin, thus more run-down. It has a very gloomy and commercialized feel to it; very cheap and touristy. The hotel buildings are ugly, and ruin the coastline views. Coming over the Brooks Bridge you will see a line of tall, rectangular, grey buildings lined up on the beach...not very appealing. In addition, Okaloosa Island experiences more damage during every hurricane, and it takes time to rebuild. As a result, there still many damaged areas from hurricane Ivan! Some hotels are still being reconstructed, which affects the appeal of the entire area.

Destin, on the other hand, is much newer and nicer. Destin is still an obviously touristy destination, but it manages to keep its charm. The buildings are all well-kept and attractive, making Hwy 98 a somewhat appealing strip of highway. Even the supersized souvenir warehouse shops aren't as offensive as the ones on Okaloosa Island; they are brighty colored (vs being dingy) which makes them less of an eyesore.

In addition, the strip of highway between Destin and Okaloosa Island is hopelessly congested during the summer/spring months. This makes traveling between the two very frustrating. Most of the activities and restaurants are located in Destin (and ALL the nightclubs, save Swamp and Howl-At-The-Moon are in Destin), so if you are staying on Okaloosa Island you will be sitting in traffic a lot.

One last tip...the police frequently set up DUI checkpoints between Okaloosa Island and Destin. Since most of the nightclubs are in Destin, it's more convient to stay in Destin; you avoid a potenial DUI, and cab fares will be cheaper.

grayton beach

by doug48

a nice side trip from destin is to grayton beach state park. grayton beach is considered one of the best beaches in the state of florida. grayton beach state park offers fishing, canoeing, nature trails, and camping. for more information on this beautiful area of northwest florida see my grayton beach pages.
from destin take US 98 20 miles east to CR 30A. take CR 30A southeast 5 miles to the park.

Great hole-in-the-wall!

by Aliseeya about Grafiti's

Grafiti's is a unique restaurant with great atmosphere and food. Bright, funky artwork covers the walls and colored lights hang from the ceiling. They have the best pizza -- my favorite is the three cheese and tomato. The service is great as well! My absolute favorite dish in Destin is their lobster ravoli in a garlic cream sauce. Delicious!

Acme Oyster House

by Aliseeya about Acme Oyster House

The famous Acme Oyster house of New Orleans comes to Sandestin! This restaurant offers tasty dishes and casual ambiance which makes for a wonderful dining experience. I'm from New Orleans and I LOVE good cajiun cooking, and this restaurant does not disappoint. Their raw oysters are award-winning, and I highly recommend them! I had the crawfish ettouffee, which was very good. My husband had the creole jambalaya (delicious) and a hamburger. The hamburger was very typical, nothing special, and I would not recommend ordering one. At a restaurant that offers such a wide variety of new orleans favorite foods, I have no idea why anyone would want a simply hamburger anyway!

Overall, I'd highly recommend this restaurant!

Long walks on the beach...

by Aliseeya

Make sure that you take a couple long walks on the beach. It's especially beautiful around sunset (and I'm sure its equally beautiful around sunrise, although I'm never up early to see it!). I also like to take a book and read on the beach until the sun goes down. Its very peaceful and relaxing.

Comments