Days Inn Destin

Based on 87 reviews
Expedia.com DaysInn.com
Azonie's Profile Photo

Well

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 5, 2007

Well what can I say about this place that's NOT bad. LOL Ok, the Parrot in the Lobby..He was cute.

When I found this place I was fairly new to using the internet to book vacations so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

The rooms were reasonable though and it was in a decent location but we had a bad experience the second night we were there.

We wanted to come back to our room and SLEEP after being out and about all day and night.

It was around 10:30 when we came up to the driveway that leads up to the entrance and we saw all of this police activity going on and police were turning back all the customers who wanted to get to their rooms..They told us that there was a hostage situation going on and that we should maybe try to come back in an hour or so.

Well we come back around midnight and the police are still there and this time we see SWAT vans and we think uh oh, this isn't looking good. The police turned us back again. By this time we were so tired that we figured that we would just pull into the Chik Fil A parking lot and sleep in our car..Well as it turns out a bunch of other people followed our lead and wouldn't you know it they just HAD to park next to us. College kids! ACKKKKK!

Unique Quality: By this time my husband had fallen asleep in the drivers side, that man could sleep on glass. I was wide awake, I can't sleep in weird situations, heck I can't even sleep at HOME. lol

It was hot and humid so there was no way I could sleep. To top it off the kids in the SUV next to us started to make out and there was NO way I was going to go knockin'. I had heard you don't do that when some vehicle is rockin'. lol And it definitely was rockin'. When they came up for air I discovered that there was TWO sets of couples in it! ACK! How can you make out in front of your friends!?

Anyways, I sat up and kept on eye on things and wished I was sitting in the waffle house with all of the other travelers who couldn't get to their rooms but I couldn't leave my hub all alone.

Around 3:00 am I noticed that people were finally be let back into the Hotel parking lot so I woke up my poor hub and told him to go on over there.

We found out what had been happening..Some idiot college age kid had taken his girlfriend hostage and was threatening to kill her because she was breaking up with him..Yep, I heard that that works everytime your girlfriend breaks up with you..NOT!

Turns out he ended up shooting himself in the kneecap after he let her go. He said he did it for sympathy value.

Yep, that worked!

BTW, the Hotel NEVER offered to compensate or anything..I guess it really wasn't their fault but they could have at least offered the guests a discount on their next visit or something.

One other thing, the place is not as good as it looks in the pix so don't let the website fool you. It's ALWAYS loaded up with partying college kids as well so I wouldn't recommend it for a family stay.

Directions: The site advertises that it's close to the beach and I guess it is if you don't factor in all the high rises between it and the beach.

Nearby Days Inn Destin

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Destin Travel Forum

Need advice about Destin, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Destin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Destin hotel reviews