61 Hawks Cay Boulevard, Duck Key, Florida, 33050, United States

Booking.com Tingo.com Travelocity

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• JotaJota's Profile Photo

We liked the Room, but

Stayed here two nights with my wife. Weather did not help much, but resort was a bit of a disappointment. Room was excellent, but pool and lagoon area were plain average. Service in general was good enough. I found the price too high for overall experience. I recommend it for families with small children, otherwise go elsewhere.

• doug48's Profile Photo

luxury and value

hawk's cay is a luxury resort hotel on duck key just east of marathon. hawks cay offers several good restaurants and bars as well as a marina, tennis, and snorkeling. hawk's cay has all the amenities that you would expect of a first class resort. during the off season hawk's cay is an excellent value but with most hotels in the keys their rates are much higher in the winter tourist season. during the off season you can book a room for $125 per night single which is an excellent price for a resort of this caliber. see their website for current prices.

Directions: just off of US 1 at duck key. about 4 miles east of marathon.

More about Hawks Cay Resort

Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member RJH3

I am embarassed to say that I owe Hawks Cay this review. After I booked my stay impetuously, I read reviews on line and found some real negative stuff. Mold, outdated, overpriced, etc, was the cry, and my heart sank. My wife and I have had a tough few months and needed to get away. We had debated where to go for more than four months and I decided too quickly to go to Hawks Cay...or so I thought. After I readthe reviews, I called Hawks Cay and told them my physical condition could not deal with mold. I had them put it in my record and I called them twice. When I checked in, I was shocked at how beautiful a property this was. My room was clean, spacious with a balcony and with NO mold. I was truly happy that there was an adults only pool, no kids. The grounds were beautiful, the view was peaceful and stunning. The spa and fitness center were impeccable. I knew it was expensive, so we brought our own treats and ate out. But the coffee shop was great for morning java and crumpets. We loved it and would go back. We got a great deal through Travelzoo and we are savvy travelers, but we owe Hawks Cay a huge apology for believing disgruntled vacationers with buyer's remorse. We thank the resort for a great time. And we still wonder why we received a beautiful fruit basket for no reason. We are still finishing the fruit. Get a good deal and pack your bags. You will love it!

Just right!

by TripAdvisor Member WichenfordVisitor

Like many others on Trip Advisor, I was very worried when my wife selected Hawks Cay on the basis that there would be a lot for the children to do compared to, for example, Key West. I was concerned about the very negative reviews I read on this website.

Hawks Cay was exactly the right choice for us. After a week at the very good - but not perfect - Floridays Resort in Orlando, we were looking for a restful week with things for the children (13 and 10) to do while we did very little.

The resort is excellent. I suspect that the bad reviews relate to the older hotel part. Get a villa - we had (to the English) an unusually named "bungalow villa" which had two stories (in UK, a bungalow is a single storey residence) which was perfect. It was very clean, it had cable TV, it was on the waterside (so called "sunset villa" for obvious reasons in the evening), and it was a two minute walk to the shop and the best restaurant on the site. My recommendation is - go there!

Great family resort

by TripAdvisor Member amc217

We spent 4 nights at Hawks Cay, departing March 17. It was our second visit and we were pleased once again. I was anxious to use the kids club every day (1/2 day), but found out that the other amenities there were enough to keep our six year old happily occupied, and we only used the club once. On our previous visit, she was too young to use the club. We stayed in a hotel room again and had friends staying in a conch villa. Our room was fine, a landview. Even though it overlooked a roof, we could still see the family pool and had a distant view of the highway and the beautiful turquoise water. We didn't spend much time in the room at all though. Housekeeping was fine and everything was in order.

Unfortunately, our snorkeling trips were cancelled due to wind/water conditions, so that was disappointing, but we did do a sunset cruise. The kids, however, did get to use their snorkels in the salt water lagoon and in the pools. It was fun and a nice to spend our day at the different swim areas. Days usually began at the Pirate Ship and then onto the pool right there. After lunch, we spent time at the lagoon and then ended up in the family pool.

Dined at the cantina which was always good and then the other nights, a short drive (10-15 min.) to Marathon to Island, which by the way is a fantastic place. It overlooks the Gulf and the food is great! Highly recommended. Also had breakfast at Manatee Bay Restaurant one day, a bit closer than Island. Very modern and clean and the prices much better than the breakfast buffet at Hawks Cay. The buffet charges are $15.95/adult, $7.95/child 6 and up, free for the toddlers. While driving towards Marathon another evening, came across a Thai restaurant with an Italian restaurant right next to it. That came in handy since our six year old was hungry for pizza that night. Takara Thai, 3740 Overseas Hwy. was just what we needed. The food was excellent. Not a fancy place, but that's not what we were looking for.

One other night, we all drove to Key West. It was a fun time for everyone, the kids really enjoyed the street performers in Mallory Square. We dined at El Meson de Pepe right there off the Square (Cuban cuisine) and once again, an excellent choice. The outdoor dining was very inviting and glad we chose that for our group. The inside has a very nice ambience as well.

We would definitely return to Hawks Cay, but would rather do a villa so we would have the option to do certain meals on our own there, etc.

How dare they...

by TripAdvisor Member LovelyMissLaura

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in April 2006 and found it to be first class. It shocks me to see some of the reviews here as the Hotel was very clean and the staff were very accommodating. I enjoyed all the facilities at the hotel especially the adults only pool and found my stay even though it was short to be a fantastic one. Maybe of id paid the rack rate i would not have been as pleased but at £62 per room per night (around 108$) through Ideal-Travel.co.uk I found this to be amazing value for the area. I have stayed at the Doubletree in Key West before and if you compare the 2 properties, this one would be vastly superior for a similar price. Make sure you swim with the Dolphins through the hotel, was very good value. Im trying to think of a negative but it is a struggle. The only thing maybe would be the food in the hotel was expensive, but 95% of hotels have expensive food, but here it was a good standard. In summary, please ignore the negative reviews, im not even sure if they are genuine and book yourself up to go to the Hawks Cay. Im sure you will be very happy!

Lovely setting

by TripAdvisor Member snowbird54

Just returned from three days at Hawks Cay. We stayed in a Villa on the water. Its was about $460 a night and then taxes etc. Was it worth it? Well it was a small townhouse, two bedrooms upstairs, one bathroom up and small bathroom downstairs. Nicely decorated.Great porches off the front and back ,both upstairs and downstairs. Quiet and peaceful. The main resort does look tired and smells musty. I spoke with some people who were staying in them and they felt they needed to be redone. Breakfast is a buffet, worth the $15, if you eat. We ate at the other restaurants for lunch and once for dinner....not worth it, food is ho hum. Venture off site for restaurants or buy food and cook it and enjoy your view . There are barbeques over by the marina, none near the townhouses. but its also a great setting. Really I would go back, No real complaints except for the hohum quality of food. It is not an all inclusive resort, you do pay for everything, boats, tennis, kayak rentals, jet skiis etc.Regarding the dolphins, we did not swim with them, I don't agree with that, but it was nice to sit and have my morning coffee and watch them. I agree, they seem to be in a space too small for them. The place is wired for WiFi,there is a business centre too. We did venture out and ate at a recommended place called Seven Mile Bridge Restaurant....dont bother, it does not have the best key lime pie and it is what it appears to be, a roadside diner, in need of a paint job.
When you book-insist on a townhouse with a water view....and get it in writing.

good experiece

by TripAdvisor Member pdeder

My wife and three children (5, 6 and 9) stayed 5 nights at this resort. Prior to arriving I was concerned because of some of the reviews and also knowing that the Keys do not offer a lot for families in the way of resort amenities. It turns out we were pleasantly surprised by this resort. If you are planning on staying at Hawks Cay, I recommend you go with the villa. I believe they are privately owned and each may be decorated and kept up differently. Our villa was in the 7000 series with a canal located in the rear. The villa had two bedrooms upstairs with two full baths and a kitchen and family room on the first floor. The first floor also had a large closet with washer and dryer. It was very clean and well decorated. In the back of the villa, (out the family room sliding doors) we had a private patio with Jacuzzi. There were walls on each side and fence on the backside with shrubs allowing for a very private area to enjoy. The patio was nice size (about 15 x 18 feet) with table and chairs. The kids loved the Jacuzzi and we enjoyed it after they went to bed. If you like to fish, the canal behind private patio is a perfect place to hang out. Whenever my wife was getting ready, my son and I would go back there and catch small fish. We would get strikes on every cast. Most fish about 8-12 inches. It was great entertainment. The resort marina sells shrimp and $25 dollar fishing poles. When we needed something in the room they were quick to respond. The resort has good size pools for all ages and we enjoyed trying all of them. We rented wave runners, rented a boat and also hired fishing guide one day. My wife spent some time at the spa. All were good experiences. The restaurants were decent, many times we just ordered food from them and brought it back to the villa and hung out on the patio. I was disappointed how hard it was to get food and drinks at the two pools by the spa. They need to improve on the little grill area and add more help. I waited in line for 15 minutes to order lunch and drinks then had to come back 15 minutes later to pick it up. The drink/food area closes late afternoon. They have no staff taking drink/food orders around any of the pools. Other than the poolside service, our experience was very good. However, I am pretty sure I would have been disappointed if we stayed in the hotel or did not have the private patio with Jacuzzi.

If your purse can take it, this is wonderful for families

by TripAdvisor Member diversitylady

We (mum, dad, 3 kids - 14, 11 and 6) booked this on the spur of the moment when already in the Florida Keys.

The printed rack rate for our 'spa condo' was over $500 per night, but we paid just over $300 per night and stayed 2 nights (although this excluded the resort fee of $20 per day and tax) . For that price, we had a small villa with a private hot tub in a tiny back yard, two separate bedrooms and bathrooms and a pull out sofa bed in the downstairs living room with kitchen. and washer/dryer. Apparently all of the units at this huge resort are individally owned, so it is possible that the decor in each is different.

The resort is the most comprehensive I have ever stayed at and covers, I believe, 60 acres. I did find myself wondering about its eco footprint, especially as they have created an artificial breakwater around much of the island on which it is located, although I am not sure whether this was to make water smoother in the marina area or protect the island from possible flooding.

For free, the resort offers 5 different pools (including a large saltwater lagoon pool), basketball, sandvolley ball, mini golf, a pirates water park area for small kids and so on. If you feel like splashing out, you can swim with their very own dolphins, fish/sail/scuba/kayak from the marina, rent bikes ... the list is endless. The restaurants that we tried were reasonably priced, the kids had their hair cut at the spa at "normal prices" and dad and mum would have indulged in a massage or facial except it was booked out during the time we were there.

The resort offers all sorts of kids and teen clubs - my teenager thought the teen club offering was attractive (lots of video games and competitions) but was too tired to attend in the evening.

Be prepared for a lot of walking between the attractions, but as the grounds are reasonably pleasant, this was fine.

The kids absolutely did not want to leave - we tried to get an extra night, but two extra nights was the minimum they would offer, so we didn't get to sample anything like all of the activities on offer.

Would we go again - absolutely!

Ignore all other reviews

by TripAdvisor Member marielautomatic

I was a little apprehensive about staying at the hotel because of all the mediocre and negative reviews on trip advisor. But when i got there, i wanted to jump for joy! The lobby/reception area of the hotel was beautiful. The service was friendly and helpful. When we arrived at our conch villa, i felt like i had walked into the home of a wealthy, and very neat person. Everything was clean, fresh, and new. I couldn't believe that people had complained about the condition of the hotel.
The waterside restaurant served wonderful local fish, and the activities offered sounded great, even though the sunset and glass bottom cruises were cancelled due to high winds.
The only complaint i can think of is the it is a family resort, so there were tons of kids, so it wasn't the most couple friendly setting. The adult pool was a good place to escape the screaming and horse-play. Oh, and your neighbors (like ours) might be heading to bed early, and they do feel compelled to yell at anyone making the slightest bit of noise after 10pm. My advice to them is to shut their glass doors. Jerks!
All and all, the service was great, the activities endless, the location flawless and the price... a little high, but reasonable.

duck key florida

by doug48

"duck key"

duck key is a small island in the middle keys just east of marathon. in the 1820's and 1830's duck key was the site of a sea salt operation. duck key was sparcely populated until the 1935 labor day hurricane. after the hurricane all of the survivors left the island. there were no people living on duck key until the construction of the duck key causeway in 1953. today duck key is an exclusive resort town were wealthy people have winter homes. of interest to the tourist is the hawks cay resort and marina. the area around duck key offers excellent off shore and back country fishing.

hawks cay resorthawks cay resort

hawk's cay marinahawk's cay marina

HAWKS CAY RESORT?

by VAL0156

HAS ANYONE EVER STAYED AT THIS RESORT AND IF SO, IS THERE A LOT OF THINGS TO DO TO KEEP BUSY FOR 5 DAYS?
I DON'T WANT TO RENT A CAR. WHAT OTHER FORM OF TRANSPORATION IS THERE?

Re: HAWKS CAY RESORT?

by donato1899

Hawk's Key is a beautiful resort. Things to do are eat, drink, fish ,snorkle , dive,and lay in the sun.
You need a car to get there and to go anywhere out of the resort cause there is no public transport to speak of in the keys. The greyhound bus does go up and down a few times a day still, I guess.
You should turn off the caps lock.

Re: Re: HAWKS CAY RESORT?

by pulgaron

Good choice. When I go there, my main activity is "NOT STAYING BUSY" I just vegetate, so I really don't know what could keep one busy there. I go out on a double dive once a day, watch the dolphin show, sit at the bar, dip in the pool, watch the sunset, yarah, yarah, yarah....
I always have a car, but I suppose there are taxis, and maybe a shuttle. Check with the resort.
Great place though. One, if not the best in the lowere keys.

Comments