Avalon Waterfront Inns Hotel

521 Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33304, United States

Avalon Waterfront Inns Beach Resort
Orbitz.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 45% less but rated 45% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Filthy Dirty Disgusting, Rude, did I say filthy??

I booked for 3 nights. The first night was a nightmare. Room was digustingly dirty. Could not take of shoes. There was a slat missing in the vertical blinds and had a light right out side of the window that was blinding. They would not fix and never did after I left. I had to put towels up to block out the light. Bathroom was somewhat cleaner. This was the Annex 3rd building - stay away!!!

I complained and they gave me another room in the morning, told me it was better. I moved from filth to filther. Floors were so disgusting I was afraid to be in the room. The dirt on the the door frame and handle was so bad I would not touch them with my bear hand. The bathroom had black mold in it. The best part, no light in the room - lightbulb was missing from the lamp. When I went to the front desk, the sweet woman at the desk called her boss. Her boss actually had the nerve to ask me if I could wait until morning for a light bulb. The place was completely dark so there was no way. The clerk had a head on her shoulders - more than her boss - got a chair and took a light bulb out of the ceiling in the middle of the lobby. Crazy but it worked. That's how low rent this place is.

Now the noise factor. The second room was by the pool. I tried to sleep at 2am. There were about 15 people out there blaring music and kids running and screaming banging on doors for hours. When I complained, they stopped the music but the noise kept on and on. Who would bring their kids there in such a filthy place, I'll never understand.

So sent a letter to complain, actually two. No response. Such bad customer service from the management. It's unbelieveable.

Stay away. If I could have found another room I would have paid 10x as much then to stay in the bug, mold and dirt infested hole. The one positive thing I can say...wait there IS NOT ONE!!!

Unique Quality: NONE.

• Worst Ever

This place is a dump. One might find better living conditions staying in a condemmed building. They advertise free parking, however upon arrival you will find that they do charge $10.00 per day for parking.....

Unique Quality: none

More about Avalon Waterfront Inns Hotel

Pictures can be deceiving!

by TripAdvisor Member blondie7174

I booked this hotel in April for its location across from the beach and from a few good reviews. I wish I would have paid more attention to the not-so-good reviews. As one reviewer wrote, "you get what you pay for". In this instance, he was definitely right. I don't know when the picture was taken for the website, but it's certainly not a recent picture. At one time, I'm sure it could have been a nice hotel, but not now. The room we were given was extremely small, had a musty smell (we actually couldn't decide what the smell was, only that it was VERY bad) and I kept my suitcases off the tile floor because I wasn't sure what might have been crawling around. Fortunately, we were only staying overnight and we left early the next morning for Key West. The couple of times we were in the office, staff members were arguing with guests - I'm not sure what about, but I'm sure it wasn't good. Spend a little more and stay at one of the larger chain hotels closer to downtown.

very nice place!

Reserved the Waterfront for 1 week, and got an upgrade to the oceanview suite, I didn´t have great expectations, since the price was kind of cheap for the location, (the Atlantic **** is located next block), but the place was a pleasant surprise, the suite was huge, and very clean.
yeah, the place is a little bit old, and there´s a construction going next door, but there´s constructions everywhere in south florida. After all, it´s a 2 star hotel, price is reasonable, breakfast is fine, location is fantastic.
Overall, had a great time, since it was hurricane season (oficially begun june 1), and rained the whole week, I even used the fully equipped kitchen to prepare some meals for my family, next time I would stay again, and hope for more sunshine.

Livable...that's it!

The best thing about the hotel is the location. It is right across the street from the ocean and a short walk to entertainment at the Beach Place. The continental breakfast was good and the patio outside the lobby was a great area to sit and look out at the beach. After that, the room itself was very old. The paint on the walls and floors in the kitchen and bathroom was peeling and the tub was pretty disgusting. My fiancee and I spent most of our four days there outside of the hotel so it didn't bother us too much. If you have room to spend a little extra money, I would look at anoter hotel.

Vacation was destroyed here

by TripAdvisor Member lisaamoran

This place was a dump! Moisture, mold on ceiling & pervasive dampness made me ill the first night I was there. I subsequently encountered a number of other guests who had also become sick within 24 hours of arrival. Management was completely unconcerned, stating my room specifically had been checked for mold "just last week" and that there were no vacancies into which I could be moved (even though a walkup was offered a room within minutes of that conversation).

Construction across the street woke me up at 6:00am each day, requiring that I wear earplugs at the pool to have any peace & quiet. When I finally decided I'd had enough and needed to stay somewhere else for the last 2 days -- if only to get a little bit of sleep during my vacation -- they refused to refund charges for those days I didn't stay and were rather ugly about the whole thing. My credit card company did eventually credit me.

Residential neighbors living nearby felt free to bring their dogs to use the courtyard of the motel for their doggie "business". Yuck.

Restaurants "within walking distance" were all upscale, starting at about $30/plate -- fine for some of the vacation but not everyday fare. Very little else to do close by. Don't stay here, you will regret it!

gross

This hotel was discusting the floors in the rooms were molded and the bathroom smelled of pee and the beds were very uncomfortable, the room was cramped which made it unbearable we switched hotels last minute...the pools were little and gross looking do not stay there!!

don't let the bad reviews stop you from going

It is located in a fantastic location and the price is right. The pool area is very nice as well as the lobby. As other comments suggest, the shower floor is not very clean, but it looked very old, so I think it was just wear and tear (bring some flip flops, you'll be fine).

Questionable

I recently went down to Lauderdale for the weekend and stayed at the Avalon. First I will start with the positives. The location is great. It is right across from the beach and within walking distance from the main bars on the beach. Now the negatives; the cable was out the entire time we were there, the bathroom had former guests' hairs throughout, the bed was bigger than the room, and the bathroom was so bad I decided to get in the pool to clean off a bit. Overall it was an ok experience. It would be ok to stay at the Avalon if you plan to spend limited time in your room.

not for us

There was lots of small black flying things, over the bedside table,television,and all over the bathroom.The bedspread was found to have dried blood on it,in the morning when we pulled it back.Never again.........

Warning... Don't Believe The Pictures

by TripAdvisor Member DisneyHeart

The pictures in the brochure and on-line must have been taken when the property was new or they are very doctored. It is an older hotel that is in disrepair, not clean, and lacks security. We literally put furniture in front of the door to feel safe at night. We didn't want to touch anything and the bathroom was awful. The shower doors were broken and you couldn't control the hot and cold water. The little sand fleas crawling all over the door were a treat too. They like to get their money up front (before you see the room.) My therory is so that you don't try to escape! We had the added delimma of Hurricane Wilma warnings and they did not want to give us our money back so we could move to safer ground. As people down the street were boarding up their windows, they were in complete denial. The reservations agent was beyond nasty to me and we had words on a couple of occasions until I finally told her that I have health issues and that if I was stuck there in a hurricane and needed medical attention that they would have their hands full. She screamed at me in the lobby to JUST GO!! Stay the night and GO no penalty. As we all know now, Wilma is one for the history books. There is also major construction going on next door where there is a Hilton being built. This really added to the experience. In short... it was a nightmare and I wouldn't stay there again if they offered it to me for free!

Do not attempt to stay here!

by TripAdvisor Member Fysty01

I tried to check in here on Sunday, November 6. I should have read the reviews first. After flying all day, I arrived at the hotel exhausted around 10pm after struggling to find it. The reason I couldn't find it is because there is major construction in front of them and along all sides which they failed to mention. The parking lot doesn't exist, and I was forced to park in the convenience store parking lot next door. Once I made my way through the caution tape, I finally found the lobby door only to be greeted with a sign that said "Be back soon". The phone outside of the lobby door did not work, no one was around, so I looked around a little. The pool area was like the front of the hotel, completely roped off with red caution tape. There were exposed pipes and it took be about a half of a second to realize that I was not staying here. I called Expedia who I booked the room through to explain my problem. They placed me on hold and attempted to contact the hotel but no one answered - no surprise to me! I waited outside for almost 45 minutes while Expedia found me another hotel and during that entire time, no one ever came back to the lobby.

This place is run down, under construction, and does not look safe or inviting at all. Please take it from someone who had to learn the hard way - don't try to stay here, pick another place!

The Three AMigos..The Three AMigos..

She loves the blue box....She loves the blue box....

Map of the Port EVerglades regionMap of the Port EVerglades region

The Navigator of the SeasThe Navigator of the Seas

Ft. Lauderdale Hotels and Beaches????

by valeried

I am coming November 10th with 2 teens (18) Looking for a moderate, clean place to stay either on the beach or right next to the beach with a pool.
Any suggestions or tips.
I would prefer something near the heart of things or near the water taxis so we could get to things easy. I dont want to have to take a 5 mile cab ride to get to things as we like to go walking around in the evenings. Dont know much about Ft. Lauderdale but heard there is a nice boardwalk and lots of nice shops and restaurants.

PLEASE GIVE ME HELP!!!!!!!!
Thanks Valerie

Re: Ft. Lauderdale Hotels and Beaches????

by joesorce

Take a look at Avalon Waterfront Inn Resort and Ireland's Inn. Make sure they don't put you in the back sections though.

Check out www.sunny.org