Best Western Oceanside Inn

Booking.com Orbitz.com BestWestern.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 10% higher than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Best Western Oceanside Inn

We had a very comfortable time

by TripAdvisor Member glamourpuss1000

We have just returned from a 6 night stay at this hotel. When we checked in, we were given a room on the side of the hotel on the 5th floor. All we could hear was the drilling from the construction site next door, and we wanted a room with a safe. We asked to move, and it was no problem at all, we got a lovely room, very comfortable and much bigger than the first. Both rooms were newly renovated. Our bed was comfortable and after the first room, very quiet. The hotel is constantly being cleaned and the communal areas are very well kept. The breakfast is a hot buffet and every day it was excellent, with a good choice, it is kept very fresh and you can make your own waffles.
The fish tank in the lobby kept us amused for ages! Parking is in the basement garage, there are quite a few restaurants in walking distance but I would get a cab to Las Olas Boulevard, or to the restaurants over the causeway.
The pool was warm and clean.
I would stay at this hotel again, it was in a good location and good value for money.

Great Location, but extremely run down. Beware.

by TripAdvisor Member muppetx

The oceanside inn is very close to the beach, right in the resort area of ft lauderdale beach. Its a nice little hotel, and some of the rooms seem okay..but beware, you may be unhappy with this hotel in its current condition. We had a fabulous room right beside the pool on the first floor, but I had booked our room months in advance through american acomodations network (I would recommend doing this if you want to stay here)...so I got a better room at half the price of what people would pay just walking in.. The hotel is extremely run down, most likely due to neglect and the hurricanes hitting the area. There is alot of rooms completely uninhabitable on the third and fourth floors where they just have big plywood boards up covering them. The sliding doors to their restaurant were also covered in plywood (most likely blown out during the hurricanes).. I realize that the hurricanes hit this area hard, but we stayed on valentines day (feb 14th).... One would expect that they would have fixed the damage by now!! The whole hotel is a bit rundown, so don't buy into the only reason being the hurricanes.

They are building another hotel or something right behind the hotel as well...so it is pretty noisey with all the crains and such. They were just laying the foundations of the new hotel when we were there, so I expect there will be alot of construction going on around this hotel for several months. Our experience at the hotel was okay, but I can see how many people would be really burned by staying here in its current condition.

Highs and Lows

by TripAdvisor Member MikeyWalnuts

This hotel is average at best. The location is ideal. You are literally steps away from the beach, but not on the actual beach as your view is blocked by the Yankee Clipper hotel. The room I had was nice, nothing great, nothing terrible, typical budget hotel room. The breakfast is a real nice feature also, eggs, waffles, cereal, the works. We didnt need to eat lunch at all due to the size of the breakfast we were eating.

BEWARE of construction at this place. There are two major projects going on within 100 feet of the hotel. We were awoken each morning around 5:45 by the slamming of drills and cranes and everything else. The hotel needs to make guests aware of this as it is a huge distraction.

Also on our last day due to a late flight we requested a one hour late checkout but they would not accomodate us. After complaining about the noise I was told to call a customer service number, not very helpful at all.

Overall this is a decent place for the location, not much more.

Watch out

This hotel needs some updating and soundproofing. First 2 nights, i was awoken by cars all night, the problem was that i was on the second floor facing the street which was LOUD!!!! Construction is going on behind the hotel, where it's too loud to sit by the pool. Watch out for the garbage trucks emptying the dumpsters at 5am. The bathrooms are ok but need to be chaulked. The halls smell funky but not too funky and they aren't air conditioned and it's hot. The major problem that i occured was that the elevators stop working suddenly so you have to be careful you don't get stuck, there are too elevators in the buildings.

Never again

If you think you are going to get a room with a "view" FORGET ABOUT IT. Oh, you will get a view ok, of the hotel in front of you that virtually BLOCKS EVERYTHING. You will look out your window and see nothing, and I mean NOTHING but a huge building in front of you....look to your right and you see total construction, look to your left and you see another big building. I am not exagerating one bit!
Don't even bother to look for the beach, let alone HEAR the ocean....IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN AT THIS PLACE.
The price is NOT, I repeat, is NOT worth it. Also forget about two people trying to pass each other to get to the bathroom,....not going to happen.
We paid almost $300 per night and would NEVER, NEVER stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

This place is alright by me!

by TripAdvisor Member dhamy

Our Family of 4 stayed at the BW Oceanside Inn for 3 days pre cruise, and 2 days post cruise. When I booked the room directly with the Hotel they were very up front about the Hotel and its condition. I was told that it was not directly on the ocean, and that some of the rooms were under renovation. After I booked I read a lot of the reviews and was concerned. I opted to take each review good and bad and take it at somewhat less than face value. We kept our booking and fingers crossed hoping that it wasn't as bad as some made it out to be.

Here is what we found. We arrived at 1:00 PM and check in was 3:00PM. They were extremly busy, but offered to complete check in and pick up our room keys when room was ready. We ran a couple of errands and came back. We had a drink in the bar and some appetizers and our room was ready before 2:00PM.

This BW is an older hotel and shows its age. We stayed 3rd floor poolside pre cruise, and 4th floor poolside post cruise. We found the rooms small for 4 people, because they have a desk, a large credenza with a fridge and Microwave. Our rooms had two double beds so it was cozy. The rooms had been newly redone, but the property does show its age. You can stil see damage to the property from the hurricanes, but you can at most places of business in the area. We found the bar area although small, was very good and the staff was always very friendly. If you stay there say hi to Rose the Food and Beverage Manager. She was extremly friendly, and helpful. Every morning the have a free hot breakfast buffet. This was very good and saved our family of four about $30.00 per day. They offered a full continental Breakfast as well as eggs, Sausage or ham. They even had Corned beef hash or biscuits and gravy. This was a welcome surprise and was served from 6:00AM to 10:30AM. Very nice touch.

As to noise yes this hotel is close to the always busy 17th street causeway. However all hotels on that strip are close to the street. The noise never bothered me. We also heard the sanitation trucks in the early morning hours, but we rolled over and went back to sleep. There is construction in the area and there was a little noise from this, but we could stand it. Every hotel in the area would have to put up with the above no matter what the price. The cleaning crews were up early and most days we just asked for a change of towels, and had our garabage emptied. We found all of the staff corteous and friendly and felt quite welcome. Bottom line it depends on your personal expectations and this property met ours. I have stayed at nicer hotels, but felt the service here was great. never judge a book by its cover.

Deanhamy

Good for a one-night stay

by TripAdvisor Member SuzieTrue

I was leary of staying at this BW because of previous reviews I had read. We used this hotel for a 1-night post cruise stay. We found the room to be clean, but a little small for 4. The breakfast in the morning was great. We had a 9:30 flight and were the first ones in for the buffet. The walk to the beach was around the neighboring hotel. Normally there would be direct beach access but because of a volleyball tournament we walked through the pool area.

Are they still doing work on this hotel? yes
Is it a good value for the dollar? yes
Should you stay more than one night? probably not

I would consider this hotel for a 1-night stay again.

Good location

We were also leary of staying at this hotel after reading some reviews but after our 3 night stay, the fears were unwarrented. We have two children, aged 5 &6 and the 4 of us stayed comfortably in one room. We loved the full breakfast in the morning and the hotel is a short walk to the beach. For those with children, there is a great playground right on the beach within walking distance. The pool is clean but there is some construction noise, although we never heard any noise at night. The rooms are clean and it was nice to have a fridge and microwave. We booked the hotel through Expedia and got a great deal, so for the price the hotel was right!

Good Choice

by TripAdvisor Member amh228

The BWOI was a good hotel. The room was updated very nicely- new bedding, table, cabinets, carpet, paint. Bathroom in double queen room was SMALL. But adequate! The hallways had new paint and carpet too. Hotel pool was a bit dirty, but the lounge chairs and tables were newer/nice. Wireless internet didn't work in our room or another ladies, but it worked in lobby. Very good breakfast in the morning. Close to beach and shops and food. But yet a bit of a walk to the shops and food... at least a half mile, if not more. Not noisey, we stayed on the city side of the hotel. Those staying on the poolside of the hotel have a nice BIG condo going up behind them, so i'm sure it was loud. By the way it's cheaper to stay in a city view room anyways. The view isn't bad, infact the view to the city or the pool are similar, nothing special. This hotel is in a good location for the right price. Speaking of price Bestwestern HAS the BEST price out there, don't let sites like orbitz fool you. Book directly from the BW website. I saved 150!!
On a negative side--- Many of the employees at the front desk are RUDE, and some are "stupid". We were told the sawgrass mills mall was 20 min. away, WHEN in fact it took us almost 2 hours by bus. Then 2 emplyoees told us a taxi ride to the Swap Shop would cost 5 bucks... so we headed there and it was 30. FYI the Swap Shop is AWFUL!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME GOING THERE!!!! It's like a poor man's garage sale!! Okay so the employees didn't know much about the city when asked... Here's the big issue... When i checked in the man told me my Card would not be charged til check out, the next day i was checking my balance over the phone and realized it had been charged. I talked to 3 people at the front desk and they told me they could do nothing about it. They were very rude. FINALLY one lady helped me out. But overall many of them were rude and unhelpful. Upon checkout we left a comment card at the front desk, and I ended up coming back inside to get some water quickly and the employees at the front desk were reading our comments out loud and laughing at them. So if GREAT customer service is important to you, don't expect to get it here!!! BUT I would say OVERALL the hotel is very nice, in a great location! I'd stay here again... if I knew they hired new staff!! Any ?'s about the hotel, email me

One Word Can Describe this hotel---GROSS!

by TripAdvisor Member Razberiagent

This place was sooooo disgusting. I wasn't expecting much given the price, however I can safely say that I didn't take my shoes off in the room. The bathroom floor looked like it hadn't been cleaned, in ohh say 2 years.
Went downstairs to take a dip in the pool, decided I couldn't see the bottom so I didn't go in. Nor did I sit in ANY of the chairs, pretty grubby...
I think this Hotel is undergoing renovations-it seemed as if there was a lot of halfway done construction going on. For example in our room there was a picture removed from the wall with a big square rectangle of what was once there. They didn't even take the nails off the wall after taking the picture down. In the morning breakfast area there was a wall of windows of which half were boarded up with messages from a hurricane last season.
If this hotel is not undergoing renovations, then it needs to be.

The lady at the check in desk couldn't have been MORE unhelpful!
We were booked for two nights, but after seeing our room, we went right down to the hotel internet computer (which wasn't complimentary) and booked the second night somewhere else.

One of the largest pools on the shipOne of the largest pools on the ship

Pool bar at closing time.Pool bar at closing time.

Each level has one of theseEach level has one of these

Downtown as seen from the airportDowntown as seen from the airport

Fort Lauderdale Accomodation

by Hayes

Hi
Myself and three mates will be travelling to Fort Lauderdale in May and were looking for some reasonably priced hotels around where this hotel is,
Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
3030 Holiday Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316 USA

We are going to a wedding there and would like to stay nearby or at least a short taxi ride away.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Peter

RE: Fort Lauderdale Accomodation

by joesorce

Try the Best Western Marina Inn or the Best Western Oceanside Inn.

www.bestwestern.com

family holiday!!!

by bell51

we are planning to holiday in fort lauderdale in april 2005, with two 17yr olds who are mad on watersports, can anyone suggest area/hotel (not too expensive!) which is clase to nightlife etc. and beach, as we dont drive. many thanks...chris

by joesorce

I would suggest you look at the Sheraton Yankee Trader.

The Irelands Inn and the Best Western Pelican are also worth looking at , but only if they will confirm you a room in the newer section of the hotels. The older sections are pretty run-down.

by iam1wthee

I stayed at a resort which was quite a distance and we did drive. But if you don't want to I would recommend staying by Las Olas Blvd.
I remember seeing a Doubletree over there.

Other hotels like Radisson Bahia, Marriott Harbor, Days Inn Bahia, and Best Western Oceanside are near water taxis and I believe there is like a trolley that takes you around that particular area. These hotels are also close to the day cruises that leave the port.

by Neesie

A small establishment (walking distance to Las Olas) but not a national chain is called the Silver Seas. I stayed there about 2 years ago and can recommend it.

First timers to Ft. Lauderdale

by duhrkopfk

A friend of mine and I are planning a trip to Ft. Lauderdale in July with our 17 and 19 year old daughter. We are looking for a place to stay with a nice beach, overlooking the ocean. We would love to be in an area close where there is fun shopping and things to do. We have champagne taste, but our on a beer budget. Any ideas would be great.

Re: First timers to Ft. Lauderdale

by BellaBlonde

The Marriott Harbor Beach is definitely the best place to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, in my opinion. It's directly on the beach, it's a resort, and it has a ton to do for all ages. A lot of times, if you book in advance, you can get really good deals..and also if you check their current specials. However, if that's not an option for you guys (because of price), another option that may work is the Best Western Oceanside which is only about 100 yards from the beach, and much more affordable. There are also numerous hotels near the airport (Comfort Inn, Ramada, Sleep Inn, etc) that are only a few miles from the beach, and are pretty affordable.

Comments