Gallery ONE - A Doubletree Guest Suites Hotel

Costs 32% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Gallery ONE - A Doubletree Guest Suites Hotel

Outstanding Service and Lovely Accomodation

by TripAdvisor Member sheaderickson

Spent one night at this property. I read the trip advisor reports regarding the renovations and when i called the hotel directly i inquired as to what floors had been completed. I was told everything above the seventh floor. When making my reservation, I requested a high floor with an early check-in. When we pulled in the valet was there, very hospitable and professional. We not only received an early check-in, but were upgraded, without asking, to a water view on the ninth floor. The desk clerk was cheerful, polite and expedited our room keys quickly - check-in took less than 3 minutes. The suite was freshly painted, decorated nicely and the bed one of the most comfortable i have slept in while traveling. All for $189 with local properties in the area, without any of the amenities at the Doubletree, charging $159 and higher. Having moved from Ft Lauderdale fourteen months ago, it was very nice for my husband and i to return for a day of business and find an accomodation with people that made us feel like we had come home. Highly recommend the Doubletree Galleria

Something weird is going on at this hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member Frqflier

I really, really wanted to like this place. It's a great location if you're visiting Ft. Lauderdale, close to the beach, next door to a mall and the water taxi stops right there.

What happened with our stay? Frankly I'm not sure. We arrived around 11:30am after debarking a cruise ship on Christmas Eve and were told that while there was room at the inn our room wouldn't be ready until closer to 2:30pm. So off we went with our 3-year-old to the beach, had lunch and came back at 2:15 to be reminded checkin wasn't until 3pm. We're patient and rules are rules so we waited until 3pm to check-in. Now keep in mind the hotel appeared more than half empty based on the number of cars in the parking lot.

Bottom line is room wasn't ready until 3:45 with no explanation other than "the room wasn't ready." Staff were quite polite but just surprising that a reservation made many months ago can't be honored for a 3pm checkin. They did comp our parking which was a nice gesture but when you're traveling with a sandy, wet, tired 3-year-old after a few hours at the beach everyone is a little frazzled. I suspect that because it was Chrismas Eve/Christmas they were extremely short-staffed and didn't have enough people there to get the rooms ready. Oh... and next morning there was a knock on the door at 9:30 from the maid to see if we were ready to leave. So you can see why I felt they were in no rush to have us checkin and in a great rush to have us check out!

Okay... so why was this hotel a little weird? I think, and this is sheer speculation, that there's a massive changeover coming to high-priced condos. This hotel has a great location but there was a condo sales office set up in the lobby and there's evidence of construction in the higher floors. I think because the place is in transition the fact that it's a hotel is being forgotten. I don't you can get a room on a higher floor because of the fact it's being turned into condos, but again this is sheer speculation on my part, and not fact.

Now... as for the facilities. My wife hated it, said the carpet was soiled and the place looked old. I actually liked the hotel property and was eager to write a glowing review.

Our room had a great view. I took the advice of an earlier reviewer and stayed away from the street/bridge. It did seem loud.

But the room itself was extremely spacious, comfortable and the bathroom was huge. I'd never stayed at a Doubletree before and loved the little kitchen that came with the room, almost like a mini-apartment. And there is a great area to lounge around in by the intra-coastal waterway. Perfect place for a drink, a meal or just watching the boats with my son.

Would I stay here again? Yeah, but not with my wife! She was kind of ticked about everything. I liked it and might give them a second chance. Comping the $11/night parking was a decent gesture for the delay in getting our room ready. But this hotel definitely seemed past its prime and ready for an update. Not sure when it was built but the rooms and fixtures were looking a little tired although the hotel itself is a fine property. Oh and free internet access is available on the second floor.

I won't discourage you from staying and I hope that your checkin experience goes a lot smoother than mine did!

Wait til the renovation is complete before staying there.

The location is very good, with the water taxi right there. However, the hotel is under renovation and until it's complete, I would not recommend staying there again. The newly renovated rooms are not being rented yet, but I saw them and they are outstanding. Most of the hotel is under construction, and the facilities are unavailable or in poor condition. When the renovation is complete, it will be a top pick. Perhaps they'll offer deep discounts if they rent one of the older rooms as they are in terrible condition. The staff is very accomodating and well trained, but I felt bad that they had to make excuses for the condition of the hotel. I'll go back when the hotel is finished.

2nd Stay at this Property

by TripAdvisor Member s25843

Let me start off by saying that I am a Hilton Honors Silver VIP, and usually stay in Hilton Brand Hotels 5-10 times a year, and other brands another 5-10 times a year.

Rate:
$99/Per night, $109.89 W/ Tax
Rooms:
The Rooms are large 2 room suites with a bedroom with one queen or 2 double beds, Fairly large bathroom, and then the main room has a Pull out couch & TV, a table with 4 chairs, and small furnished kitchenette with a dishwasher, large fridge, sink, microwave, and stove.

There is a balcony large enough for two chairs and a table.

Service:
Every employee we encountered was friendly, and willing to help us out with every request we had. I was extremely pleased with this aspect.

Condition of Rooms:
The last time I stayed at this property was in April of 2002, and in my opinion, the quality has declined since then. The rooms are clean, however, very dated, and are starting to show their age.

There was a cat urine smell in the kitchen, which we promptly reported to the front desk, which they described as a "Code 1" and had it quickly resolved. For the rate that we paid, I would not expect much more.

Renovation:
The hotel is currently undergoing a complete renovation to transform it into "Gallery One Florida". It will still be a Hilton property, however the units are being sold as condos. I think after this is complete, the hotel will once again be as grand as it was when it opened.

I would stay here again when I need a cheap property for a night. For the $99 a night, service was excellent

Fantastic hotel at a fantastic price

by TripAdvisor Member dibruno

When we checked in - we couldn't believe how nice our 2 bedroom suite was for $ 189 a night. Everyhting was new and tastefully remodeled. The sitting room even had a 42" plasma tv. Everyhting was fantastic - including the service of the employees. The business room had full internet access (made checking my stocks easy) The proximity to the beach/mall etc was great too. Excellent value - this place will shock your pants off.

Not a good time.

Okay we stayed in the two queens suite which was nice looking, if not a little small. The problem was service. First, the pool is under renovation which is an eyesore and something they should be more vocal with divulging before people show up. Second, the service (with the exception of the restaurant and room service) is terrible. I mean truly horrendous. They won't clean your room before 2 unless you ask for it and they take their time regardless of the state of emergency. The pluses are their warm cookies they give when you check in and John who works in the restaurant. I was happy to check out. Book at your own peril but for all that money I would stay at the Atlantic and split it with some friends.

OK Stay if you can get past the problems

by TripAdvisor Member cfsnco

I recently stayed (08/04/06 - 08/06/06 at the Gallery one in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. and this is a summary of my stay. I am still waiting for someone from HH to contact me back regarding this experience.

I would first like to say that the Reservation agent did not inform us that the hotel was under-going a major renovation until after I had booked and was transferred to the automated line for my confirmation.

Having said that, upon arriving in the room we found that we were not booked according to my profile; away from the elevator but instead right across from it.

The AC in the room (1015) was not working properly but was repaired upon our evening return.

I then found that ice is not available in each floor but that the guest must go downstairs to the lobby to get ice. I was told that they would put ice on the 4th floor sometime in the future.

We requested extra bath towels but instead housekeeping delivered hand towels.

We attempted to rent and watch a movie but the HotelNet was not working and instead found the Folio of another guest on a digital channel.

When "Sean" at the front desk was notified of the access of another guest’s folio, I was told by "Sean" that the system would not be operational until 08/08/06.

Finally, I requested a wake up call at 06:00 AM on my departure date and the call never came.

To be fair, the bed we slept in was one of the best of any hotel we have stayed in and the shower presure was great.

We had just returned from vacation in cancun and wanted to spend a couple of extra days near family.

I believe that guests should be notified of major renovations or that the hotel should close completely until they are done.

Cool Place. Way Cool.

by TripAdvisor Member MemphisMojoTraveler

All in all, this is a fabulous hotel. When my family of four stayed here for a night before our Caribbean cruise in late July, the hotel was immaculately clean and snazzily decorated in a modern chic motif. Our newly-renovated suite was super attractive and spacious. The service was friendly and efficient. To top it all off, the hotel is in a great location! (A very short walk from the beach in one direction and a nice upscale shopping mall in the opposite direction.) In my opinion, the hotel is drastically underrated.

We had only three mild complaints:
#1. There was no ice machine on our floor. (We were directed to a restaurant near the lobby for ice.)
#2. Through the Hilton/Doubletree website, we booked a package that supposedly included "free breakfast." But the breaksfast turned out to be a very disappointing continental offering.
#3. We called down to the front desk to ask the hotel to arrange to have a taxi waiting for us shortly after checkout. But after we checked out, the doorman informed us that he had arranged for "limo" service nstead of a taxi. (The "limo" was actually a large passengar van.) The doorman assured us that the "limo" fee would be the same as regular taxi fare. That proved to be untrue, as the limo charge turned out to be about $10-15 more expensive than a taxi would have been. The bottom line for future guests: Call your own cab instead of leaving it to the hotel! (Given my experience, I can't help but wonder whether the hotel and/or the hotel doorman has a lucrative kickback arrangement with the limo operator.)

Love The Doubletree

by TripAdvisor Member Benoite

I wasn't sure what to expect, I never heard of Doubletree before this trip, I was just looking for a overnight hotel for me and my family to be not to far from the Airport and also to have a chance to visit Fort Lauderdale and Miami and it was a awesome experience, we regret not staying longer.

The suite was amazing, a flat 52" TV in the living room with a sofa bed, a dining room and a full equiped kitchen we loved it.
The bedroom like you can tell was well done but the safety box was a challenge too complicated to use, I guess that make it really safe. We also like the shower bathroom it was really spacious and nice for the family to use.

Well located the hotel is just a block away to the galleria mall, the pool which is located near the intracoastal Waterway, lovely...

We will definitely go back to the Doubletree for a longer stay .

Nice but not really

by TripAdvisor Member Morania

Here we are, just came back from our stay in Galleria 1. Long waited vacation for me and my husband. I picked up this hotel, because it was close to the beach, lots of convenient stores, Galleria Mall etc. Needless to stay, I read all the reviews...I guess not the last ones.
Upon check-in, we were given the most noisiest room, overlooking the draw bridge and the highway. Luckily the front desk agent changed the room and gave us another one, thanks god better location.
Overall the cleanliness of the room was fine.
Be careful when taking a shower, you might make a flood in the bathroom, (one thing we disliked a lot) it was like the water didn't have anywhere to go but on the floor.:-(
The desk agents were very nice, but apparently, just started working there and when we asked them for places to go (cinemas, dance bars) without taking a taxi, they told us there is no other way we can do that. We were also told that the only one way to go to Miami is by taxi since we didn't have a car.
Finally it turned out to be, that the hotel is close only to the beach and to the Water taxi, and on top of it it was raining for most of our stay.
I've just read the review for the Limo to the airport.
The same thing happened to us. Front Desk called the Bell to get a taxi for us and apparently he called the same Limo, and we were charged more than the regular taxi service.
This hotel and location might be good for families with kids, but not for young people looking for fun.

Mindy & Liz taking a dip ater a night of dancingMindy & Liz taking a dip ater a night of dancing

Liz and I ready to cruise to the CaribbeanLiz and I ready to cruise to the Caribbean

The main atriumThe main atrium

PancakesPancakes

Doubletree Gallery One Hotel

by cmillard

Has anyone stayed at the Doubletree Gallery One Hotel? It looks like it's right next to the Galleria Mall and the water taxi stops right outside the hotel. It looks like a good central place to stay for one night, and they have a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite which the 4 of us could share for a little over $200 per couple. How far is it from the cruise ship terminal. Should we take a cab to get there? I know as usual, I have so many questions. Any reviews, comments, advice on this hotel and it's location would be much appreciated.
(only 4 more sleeps to cruise --- yeah!)

Cheers,
Carol.

RE: Doubletree Gallery One Hotel

by YVRDave

Carol, reviews say get a view over the waterway. Don't get a room ending 14 or 17.
Alot of 2 bedrooms over look a busy street so make sure you book the water view

RE: Doubletree Gallery One Hotel

by donato1899

The hotel does overlook the inland waterway. The water taxi stops there. The waterbus(used to be called the water taxi) is a very nice way to see Ft. Lauderdale. The downtown saloon stop is my favorite.
There are 3-4 nice restaurants right by the hotel. One of our favorites is Seasons 52(make reservations or go early), right next door is the Capital Grill.
It will be a 15 minute, $15.00 cab ride to the port. Ask the driver to take A1A, it does not take any longer than US#1.

watertaxi stop and airport cruisport shuttle hotel

Hi,
The gallery one doubletree hotel has a watertaxi stop. Alas they do not provide airport and cruiseport shuttles.
Does anyone know of another hotel that does have both? I tried the days inn but that seems to be fully booked .

I will be in fort lauderdale arriving 31st october and leaving on a cruise november 2
Thanks in advance Louise

Sleep Inn and Suites has both
Phone: (954) 874-1800
Address: 1500 SE 5TH AVE, Dania, FL 33004

by louiseks

Hi, thank you for your prompt answer. I understand that is does shuttles but it is not a a watertaxi point .
I would like to have it all .. smiley sorry

by Jamesr3939

We are doing a cruise in September and staying at the Doubletree. I doubt there is a water taxi that will take you to the cruise port. Mostly due to security restrictions. Seems the water taxi is more of a fun time activity in the inter-coastal waterway. However, I did find a very reasonable price for a limo to the cruise port with Jewel Limousine.

by grandmaR

I don't think she wants to take the water taxi to the cruise ship

by louiseks

Yes, that is true. I would have love to stay at the doubletree but they do not have airport or cruisport shuttle. However they do have a watertaxi stop.

What I would like is a hotel near a watertaxi point that also has the shuttles

Thank you for helping me.

Louise

by Jamesr3939

As I recall the DT is the only hotel water taxi stop. But the water taxi www site is pretty good so you should be able to find out who has a place near the water taxi. You might find hotels with shuttles from the airport, but I doubt you will find any with shuttle to the port.

by louiseks

I found the watertaxi site and it is really good and helpfull.

I will narrow my search to airport shuttle and watertaxi point.

It is a shame that the Doubletree does not have airport shuttle service.

enjoy your trip in September.
Louise

by grandmaR

The airport is quite close to the cruise port and so probably a taxi would not be that expensive.

Comments