3333 NE 32nd Ave, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33308, United States

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Il Lugano Hotel

Thumbs Up for the Il Lugano

by TripAdvisor Member CanadianMommy2007

We just returned from a week at the Il Lugano with our 1 and 2 year olds. I have mixed reviews.

One of the main reasons I booked the Il Lugano was because of the complimentary boat tours. I thought it would be fun for our little ones. THESE TOURS DO NOT EXIST. Hotel Management expressed frustration at some of the incorrect information that circulating on the internet. They did compensate us for our disappointment.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was strictly continental (I had read on the internet about waffle and egg stations - not true!!). DH loved sliced mango (pretty sure it was canned!) and fruit salad. The kids and I mostly ate bagels. I ended up buying some instant oatmal so the kids could have that for breakfast too.

The trolley to the beach was cool (although my daughter was terrified, but she was also terrified of the escalade - so there!). Complimentary transportation was amazing. Only on one occasion was I asked to wait about a 1/2 hour for a ride. Other than that, transportation was always available.

The room was nice and clean. We didn't have a full intercoastal view as I had expected. Don't book room 721 as you stare straight at the rooftop fan of the adjacent hotel. A must for our hotel booking was to have a full kitchen - which the Il Lugano did. However, other than plates, glasses, and cutlery, the kitchen was not stocked. There were not pots or pans to be used. I ended up making do by heating up soups and other foods in the kettle. I should have bought a cheap frying pan from Walgreen's (close walk) on the first day.

While the room does have free DirecTV, the hotel does not subscribe to many family chanels (NickJr., Noggin, Disney). Good thing I brought the portable DVD.

Area Recommendations: Water Taxis, Kilwyn's (Las Olas), Julian's (Great Burgers - walking distance), Golden Chopstics (Delivers to hotel), and Pizza Rustica (walking distance).

Let the hotel trolley you to Bamboo Beach. They have an arrangement with a hotel there, and you can use their facilities - very handy with a potty-training toddler.

Although there are still some kinks to be worked out .... the hotel gets five stars for the staff. Concierges (Lisa and Allana) and all the drivers were amazing (wish I knew their names). Many of the staff greeted us by names and took the time to play and chat with our kids.

Luxury at the Il Lugano

by TripAdvisor Member FlyingBear

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Il Lugano from July 5th - July 9th; we arrived there mid-afternoon. We rented a car at the airport and drove to the hotel. Note: If you're renting a car and not that great with directions, I suggest renting the GPS navigator. It is pricy, but really handy. I already own one and it's great and easy to use. If we didn't have one, we would have stayed at the hotel only or in the same general area. Also, if we didnt have the GPS, we would have missed the turn into the street where the hotel was, the signs are small and it isn't a major road.
We took the advice of previous reviewers and parked in the parking lot in front of the hotel where there are parking meters. They're free from 6pm-8am, which worked out great because we got up early to feed the meters, ate breakfast and went to the beach or shopped around and by the time we came back it, it was after 6 and parking was free!
From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left we were treated with extra care. It doesn't look like much from the outside and the area around wasn't that great either. But that saying is true, never judge a book by its cover. The inside has sleek and modern design and the people are extremely welcoming. We were towing our luggage from the car to the hotel, two gentleman made sure we didn't put too much in the meter and advised us it was free after 6, insisted that he take our luggage, while we checked in and we never had to open our door. (I'm big on the little things, and I've never stayed at a fancy hotel before, so yes I was impressed!) We checked in, the lady at the reception dropped what she was doing to do so, handed me a personalised letter welcoming me to the hotel, and handed me the keys to the room. The bellhop pointed out where all the amenities were: pool, bar & hours, gym, conceirge and his hours, and advised us about their free escalade services that will drop you off anywhere within 3 miles and try their best to pick you up. We never used this service because we had our car, but it sounded like a great perk.
We stayed in room 719 and it had a great view of the intercoastal waterway. The bellhop met us at our room and showed us where everything was, and assured us that if we needed anything to just give them a ring. And boy was the room beautiful! It had a king bed, patio area, a couch, a full-sized fridge, dishwasher, washer and dryer, flat screen tv, two stove tops; however no pots or pans, only a kettle, two closets, and a roomy bathroom.
As I mentioned above, there was a continental breakfast served every morning...for free! They served different pastries including danishes (which i loved), fruits, cereal, and bagels alongside 3 different juices or coffee or tea. You can even eat outside on the patio overlooking the intercoastal waterway and I saw some people even take it up to their room.
The hotel is about less than a five minute drive to fort lauderdale beach. The weather most of our stay was extremely hot and humid. It was hard to stay out and tan if we we not in the water. If you have a beach gear, I suggest you bring it, especially an umbrella because all we had were beach towels and we were dying in the heat!
If you need to buy a bottle of wine or a hard drink while staying at the hotel, there's a 24 hour walgreens about a 2 minute walk from the hotel. Otherwise there's not much around to walk to.
The pool area was nice and quiet, the tanning beds along the waterway were beautiful. The only drawback was the construction noise outside the hotel near the pool area. I only heard it going on one of the days I was out for a swim.
We asked to extend our stay until late afternoon on the day of our checkout, but it looks like a strict rule that we had to be out by 12pm. Other than that, I don't really have complaints about the hotel itself. The hotel location is in the middle of no where. So if you do stay here, make sure you have a car if you plan to go any where else outside the hotel's 3 mile radius.

A little bit disappointed by Il Lugano

by TripAdvisor Member Ciskey

We had high expectations of this hotel. When we arrived nobody gave us a welcome. The guy at the reception was on the telephone while giving me my keys and documents. The door man didn't bother to say hello. After our very good experiences at other hotels (Affinia Dumont NYC, Lighthouse Key Resort and Tortuga Inn), this felt strange. Our room, though very well appointed and luxurious, was a little small for 4 people. We couldn't move after the sofabed was made. View was nice. The breakfast was very bad. I made a complaint at the reception. It looked so good but in fact the breakfast was not fresh at all. The fruit tasted liked it was peeled 1 week ago!! I know it's complimetary but................Not such a good experience at the Il Lugano for us.

Beautiful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MrsTraveler

My husband and I spent a night at the Il Lugano in June '08. This modern hotel is new and REALLY BEAUTIFUL.

We were given a lovely suite (#1019 - top floor) with a view of the Intracoastal Waterway. It was spacious with 2 queen-size beds, a kitchenette, a balcony, etc... There is a safe which is big enough to hold a laptop or portable dvd player. There's a pool. I don't think the hotel restaurant is open yet, but they do offer in-room dining (which we didn't try). The hotel staff was very professional.

The taxi ride from the Ft. Lauderdale airport was about 20-25 minutes and cost $30 (before tip). The hotel is next to the Intracoastal Waterway and a 3-block walk to the beach. There is a 24-hour Walgreens and several restaurants within walking distance. We had lunch at Pepe's by the Sea and dinner at 33rd & Dine French Cafe. Both places had good food.

We'd definitely enjoy staying there again.

"Gorgeous property with great staff"

by TripAdvisor Member canuckpump

Stayed at this property for a four day weekend to celebrate my daughters 16th bitrthday. Absolutely gorgeous lobby, rooms, pool and gym. Helpful staff, great location a few minutes walk to the public beach or they will drive you for free in an Escalade!!

Only complaint was the early teardown of the breakfast buffet. Talked to management and I would suspect thats been taken care of by now. Overall a wonderful stay and we hope to return next year!

Simply Excellent Boutique Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member FlyingFred

We stayed there for a week in May/08, the place is brand new, Very well decorated, opened in Dec/07, the room had everything you can imagine, and of the highest quality, two LCD TVs, One King one Sofa bed, Full Kitchen with full size fridge, stove, microwave, dining table, balcony, Bose Radio...

The Free stuff:
Continental breakfast (very good), free Internet (WIFI), Beach Towels, Free in room coffee/tea, in room Washer and Dryer, ride to nearby areas and beach in the a cool buggy/bus or the Cadillac Escallades.

The Service: A1, the breakfast staff are very professional, when we were there, there was a young Brazilian lady and young gentleman, please don't forget to leave them a small tip, they work hard. The Concierges are very helpful and can assist you in many ways. Ask them about the Tiki bar beach, they seem to have a deal where they will give the guests of IlLugano free drinks, we did not have time to do this as it rained the last 2 days of our trip.. One of the concierge there is Annie, she is extremely helpful the other lady I think her name was Lisa, she printed a coupon for our trip to the everglades..

Did I mention the pool? Well it has like a beach style area with sand and Palm trees..Very Zen and nicely laid out. The hotel did not compromise any details, quality, service and beauty.

The ugly stuff: Parking, Valet only and costs $25/day. However you can park across the street for free between 6PM and 8AM, after that it will cost you, 50 cents/ hour to feed the meter.

This is by far one of the best boutique hotel we stayed at, all the places we've been to were missing something, not this place.
I hope they keep it up.

Fred, Canada

Home away from home

by TripAdvisor Member traumaangel

Having never been to Florida, I was apprehensive of leaving home. On arrival at il Laguno we were a couple of hours early. The staff helped us to place our luggage in a holding room until our room was available. The conceirge, Annie Romanson, recommended several local restraunts to try while we wait. She also provided menus from restraunts so that we could decide which was best for us. We were guests here for 7 nights. The staff was always helpful & attended our needs quickly. The rooms are GREAT!!! It was like a home away from home feeling because you have more than just 1 large room. There's a full size fridge, dishwasher, stove, microwave, safe, & most of all a washer & dryer, (so you dont have to take home dirty clothes)as well as the usual ammenities. Lots of hangar space in 2 different closets, & a large bathroom. I have stayed at several high end hotels (Waldorf-Astoria, the Plaza, etc.) This hotel definitely compares!! You wont go wrong staying here!
P.S. The lobby is sooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!

Elegant, Contemporary Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member SanniAtTheBeach

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at this beautiful new hotel from June 13 - 15. We usually visit the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area a few times a year, and this was the most wonderful place in which we've stayed.

Check-in went very smoothly and quickly, and we were given an "upgrade" due to a deal we found on the internet. The lobby was sleek and beautiful, and smelled really nice. There is even a doorman.

The elevators were quick, and to access our room we had to go through a door(using our room key) into a little foyer which we shared with another room.

The room was beautiful and spacious (we were told over 600 square feel) , with simple contemporary decor. It was immaculate, with nightly turndown service.It had a full kitchen, dining table, living room with plasma tv, bedroom (white down comforter - nothing to hide) with plasma tv , two large closets and a large bathroom (with Bulgari bath products). The only issue was that our "upgrade" was to a handicap-accessible room, which made the bathroom interesting, It was very large with wide open space, and only a single sink instead of the double sink we had seen in pictures. I'm not sure if this is the case with the regular rooms, but the shower had a "zero entry" and was level with the rest of the bathroom. So when you take a shower the entire floor gets wet. We tried using a towel to stop the water from flowing all over, but it didn't really work. I had concerns of being electrecuted as I dried my hair! We could have solved this problem by simply asking for another room, but it really wasn't that serious.

The pool was clean and very nice. Other reviewers complained that there was no sun at the pool, but at 1pm it was quite sunny - perhaps it has something to do with the time of year you are visiting. There were also several lounging beds both at the pool and next to the marina. They were always available.

The concierge was very nice. She allowed us to use her laptop to print out our boarding passes for our return flight home.

Some tips:
1. You may want to rent a car. This hotel is located in a somewhat residential area, and there didn't seem to be any bars or restaurants within walking distance (although we didn't ask). They do have the Escalade available, and arrangements to be dropped off were made easily enough, but they couldn't guarantee to pick us up.
2. Skip the valet and park in the parking lot across the street. I think it was 50 cents per hour to park, and free from 6pm until 8 am.
3. Free continental breakfast was great. The pastries and fruit were very fresh. On the weekends it starts at 8 am, so run out and feed your meter, then come back in and grab some breakfast!

We had an excellent experience, and hope to return on our next trip to Fort Lauderdale. As soon as it catches on, it will probably get very expensive.

Simply the best

by TripAdvisor Member MichaelMalmoe_Sweden

Stayed 8 nights at this fantastic hotel. The room has more than you can ask for including flatscreen tv and ipod charger. The staff was very friendly and helpfull to all of us and became allmost friends with my boys aged 10 and 14. There is absolutely nothing negative about this hotel, just stay there you wont regret it.

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Marie49125

My husband and I were very pleased by this hotel (considering the fact that we had a very good deal with priceline).

Our room was on the 8th Floor and was more like a one bedroom suite (large balcony overlooking the marina with table & chairs and lounging).

The living room had comfy couch, large screen TV, dining table and chairs, a large desk, plugin Ipod station.

Kitchen was modern with a table bar and chairs, coffee & tea maker, dishwasher, large fridge.

Bathroom "boudoir" had a double door (one going to the bedroom, one going to the open living room/kitchen), another door leads you to the bathtub and cabinet.

Bedroom was large and with a king bed, chest of drawers and a lot of closet space. Very nice furniture overall everywhere.

The suite also had a washing & dryer machine in one of the closet, along with a safe.

Breakfast was complimentary and located on the 6th floor. I personnaly enjoyed the breakfast, but would eat it in my suite.

The pool is small but well appointed and so is the "spa" & changing room.

Staff was courteous.

Our only complain was the cleaning lady appointed to our room.
She would (when she came..) place 3 products of the same kind (like 3 body cream we had no use for) because policy is "3 products, I guess" instead of asking her management to give her shampoo or showerbath, or soap for her cart. Twice our room had not been made coming back at 6pm, no towels, no kitchen cleaning.

My mother who was staying on the 6th floor had nothing to complain about, the service she had was perfect, so it had to be with the staff on the 8th floor.

Breadstick Kung FuBreadstick Kung Fu

Liz's new braceletLiz's new bracelet

Key artery is I-95-runs through the cityKey artery is I-95-runs through the city

Red Pepper Onion TartRed Pepper Onion Tart

scuba diving

by tommontaigne

is there a close place to the sheraton yankee clipper resort to scuba dive and if so what is the name and location?

Re: scuba diving

by SunTanBob

Brownie's Third Lung runs a good operation about a mile(?) south of you on Cordova. There is also good beach diving just south of Commercial pier (Commercial Blvd & A1A) about 4 miles north of you. There is a dive shop on A1A just south of Commercial Blvd. that rents gear, although I forget the name.

Re: scuba diving