Lago Mar Resort And Club

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Heatonkbrewer's Profile Photo

Family Friendly Beachfront Resort

We stayed at the Lago Mar with a large group of people for my (at the time-) fiance's graduation from dental school. Not only is this one of the few true beach front hotels (not across the street from the beach), but it is a little farther down the beach and off the beaten path from the majority of the rest of the hotels, clubs and bars that are near the public beach. Lago Mar has a lot to offer for anyone looking for a relaxing beach vacation, but a word of warning is that you will need to have a car or take a cab to the rest of the downtown ft. lauderdale beachfront scene for resturants, public beaches, shopping, etc.

Unique Quality: One of the few "true" beachfront resorts in fort lauderdale. Very private.

• Schipe's Profile Photo

My #1 in that area

clean and large rooms, good service, nice beach with a good view to the port, water taxi stop direct in front of the hotel....a nice place to relax

Unique Quality: nice pools, best brakfast buffet, room with internet access (tv screen)

Directions: calm area - direct on the beach

More about Lago Mar Resort And Club

Is Newer Building Essential to Nice Accomodations?

by TripAdvisor Member jerseygal

Staying at the Lago Mar end of August. After reading these reviews, concerned about the "older building". As we be traveling with 2 children, we need 2 double beds instead of king. Called Lago Mar and newer building only has kings. Can anyone comment on their accomodations in the 'older building"(the one building with 2 doubles)
Staff at Lago Mar has assured me that the older building has been renovated. Thanks for your help.

Question

I am going to be staying at Lago Mar and we have an executive suite. They are unsure of whether the room will be in the main building or the other building. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the newer and older building? Thank you!

Relaxing stay

by TripAdvisor Member Flyerno.one

We stayed at the Lago Mar in June. The hotel was worth the price, we had an ocean front suite,it was spacious,and had all the ammenities one could ask for. The service was great,and the staff was very friendly. The beach and pool areas were well kept and very attractive. The only drawback I found was the lack of choices for resturants, but the room service was excellent. I would stay here again without question. It is in a very quite area of Ft. Lauderdale,and was very relaxing.

If you like to vacation with rules.....

by TripAdvisor Member omar101

We stayed for three nights at the Lago Mar Resort in June. The resort was I felt, average at best, for the prices they charged. For example, I attempted to bring my beach chair to their "private" beach, however, I was told that I was not allowed to bring my own chair, that I had to "rent" their chairs instead, (which cost us $20.00 per day for two chairs and an umbrella). Also, you had to sign for the pool towels, and if not returned, that would cost $10.00 per towel. Dinner for four, which was excellent, cost $150. We stayed in a two bedroom oceanfront suite, which was very spacious, however, our ocean view had palm trees in front of the balcony, which obstructed our view. Next time we go to Ft. Lauderdale, I will not be staying at this resort.

Great place to vacation with small kids

My family and my sister's family vacationed at the Lago Mar in June. We both thought it lived up to the good reviews it had on the trip advisor site.

Each of our families had a 2-bedroom suite facing the ocean. We had a fantastic time. The suites were large, the sofas in the living room pulled out to twin beds (great for the kids), we had small but sufficient kitchens, with microwaves, coffee makers, toasters - everything we needed to keep snacks and make breakfast & lunch for the kids most days.

We rented a car (the hotel has complimentary valet parking and plenty of self-parking spaces). On our first day we drove to the grocery store (about 6 mins away) and stocked up on snacks and other things the kids needed. We have small children (under age 10) and so being able to feed them oatmeal, peanut butter sandwiches, mac & cheese i.e. the usual stuff was great.

We ate dinner 2 evenings at the hotel and 2 evenings in town. The hotel restaurant was good, convenient (the kids played in the playground while we waited for dinner) but a little pricey. We went into town to Cheesecake Factory and another chain restaurant. These chains are not the best food but when you travel with kids you're after familiarity not adventure in dining. Fort Lauderdale itself had lots of fun places to visit - we really enjoyed Riverwalk (entertainment center)- it wasn't far from Lago Mar - yet the resort is private and away from the hustle and bustel of Fort Lauderdale's main beachers.

We did order from room service for breakfast on our last day. The kids got a kick out of the idea of room service, the food was good enough.

The facilities were well-maintained. We all enjoyed the lagoon pool. There was another pool, deeper water - aimed at adults and older kids. Our kids loved the mini-golf, chess - and the beach. The beach was beautfiul, not at all crowded. Towels are provided. Yes, you have to return them - but the staff were very understanding and weren't drill seargents about the towels. The game room is kinda sparse, but it too provided some entertainment.

They don't take cash at the bar - but that was ok. The drinks weren't any pricier than they are at hotels in the midwest. We loved ordering pina coladas and sitting at the pool -- and the conch fritters weren't bad at all considering that we weren't even in the Bahamas.

Basically, our kids (6 between two families) spent almost all their free time in the pool, headed into our room to eat lunch, and played in the pool all afternoon.

The staff were very, very, nice, accomodating, and courteous. Our rooms were clean and well maintained. It was simply wonderful to be in a two bedroom suite. We weren't tied to the children's bedtime and could watch TV late night without keeping them up - I don't think we would ever want to vacation in a traditional hotel room again.

Lots of familes and lots of kids were present throughout the resort. So if you have children, this a place that they - and thus you - will enjoy. Great place - I would definetely return again.

Nice Place

by TripAdvisor Member Hagen

We just returned from Lago Mar after surviving Hurricane Charley. Without power we decided to head east for 2 days. I had done a little looking on the internet the day before as we knew we would not have power for a least a day...little did we know it would be 3 days. And found this little gem. We didn't want the typical Marriott of Hyatt.
Anyway, this hotel was just what the Dr. ordered. We had a beautiful suite over looking the pool, you could see the ocean through lots of trees.
I think we were in the old building but it seems renovated. Such as Tommy Bahama furniture.
Food was expensive and paying for chairs was odd never have had that before. But the beach was private and beautiful.
Staff could have been nicer. When we checked in the woman was a bit snippy when I asked if would have a water view. She said the room wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready until 4pm (as she pointed to the check in time on a sheet of paper). We had lunch and then went back at about 2:45 and the room was ready.
Getting to our room was a maze. We were a little worried as we passed several rooms that looked a bit run down. But all in all it was great.
My daughter is going back with her boyfriend this weekend. (waves much better then on the gulf side.)
I would stay there agin.
If you have kids you will love it they rule the pool!!!

Not Worth The Money

After reviewing all the postings, I was hyped about this resort. It did not live up to the expectations. We paid $240 per nt for an ocean view 2br. The accomidations were spacious; however, the construction began each day at about 8:30 and when we arrived our patio door had obviously not been cleaned in some time. The resort is ideal for families; however it is grossly overpriced. Hamburgers were about $10 and ice cream was $5. We had to keep returning to the front desk to have our keys exchanged out because they had our check out date wrong, then they argued with me that we added a day on, when we'd never changed our reservations. Lastly, the kitchen was less than desirable for cooking or even making sandwiches! I stayed at the Yankee Clipper last year and we'll go back there next time.

Having Fun and Working Some

by PhulePruf

"Pleasure and Business in Fort Lauderdale"

We had a Faux Finishing event scheduled in Fort Lauderdale, so we went a few days early for some R&R. We were scheduled to stay at Lago-Mar restort during the conference. We had a good deal, but we thought a regular hotel would do for the first few days. We booked through "Cheap Tickets" online. The person who wrote the description of the hotel must have been a creative writing student. The hotel was a real dive. Brenda called and asked them refund our unused days & we gladly paid the service charge for cancelling. We were able to get into Lago-Mar a few days early. It is a very nice facility.
We did tourist stuff Monday thru Wednesday. I started each day by going to the ocean and dipping my feet in the water. We rode an airboat in the Everglades. We toured the town in water taxies. We visited the IMAX and downtown shops. We found some good places to eat & we found some really bad places where we wish we had not eaten.
We spent the day Thursday sitting by the pool & talking business with some faux finishers from Phoenix. The Faux Event was Friday thru Sunday. We met some good folks and got some new ideas and inspiration for combining products and creating new finishes. We will probably go back someday when the urge to lay on the beach and dip our feet in the ocean hits us, probably during one of Kansas City's bone chilling days of February.

Lago Mar Resort

by FloridaBound39

Is anyone out there familiar with this resort? Is the beach nice? Is it close to shops and restaurants? Is it close to the water taxi?

by rossandkelli

I don't know anything about the resort but Fort Lauderdale is a blast. Swing down to Southbeach Miami and Up to Clematis street in West Palm Beach. You'll have a blast.

by cblanc9

Lago Mar is a great resort. Low key on the beach and beautiful. My freind lived there for a month. It is close the the main beach but removed too. I am not sure about the water taxi. But it can't be too far. Also restaurants & shops are a fast taxi ride about 3 miles. Or a good walk. It's hidden in one of the city's nicest neighborhoods next to the port. I love it.

by Used2BaBeachBunny

In the 80's and early 90's, Lago Mar used to be a white-only non-jewish resort and club. But, due to the changing population of South Florida and new staff, Lago Mar opened it's membership policies. However, Lago Mar guests and residents are still quite homogenous. It's a nice, posh resort on the beach with tennis courts, restaurants, pools, and activities.

by cblanc9

Yes, Lago Mar has a water taxi stop.

by Schipe

Yes, there is a beautiful beach. You can see pics on the hotel homepage http://www.lagomar.com/

They also have nice pools. Water taxi stops right in front of the main entrance. No idea how much it is.

Like to stay there but won´t be happy without a car.

Peter