4040 Galt Ocean Drive, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33308, United States

Booking.com Travelocity amextravel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 37% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Love it but watch out for thieving waitress

Would have rated this hotel as a five; beautiful, old hotel in the process of being remodeled. Excellent view, wonderful tiki bar, comfortable rooms.

However, on the morning we were checking out, we went to have breakfast at the restaurant as usual. Had voucher for breakfast for two people worth $15. Older, blond-haired waitress was horrible!!! Took 15 mins to get menus, and every table had to hunt her down to pay the bill! Ridiculous, but why should she care? She added gratuity, then told us our voucher did not cover coffee and oj. Funny it did for every other meal, every other server. But this waitress made us pay for beverages out of pocket. The hand- written receipt assured me that money would be going in her pocket! I hunted down a manager only to find another guest making the exact same complaint! I added my story to the conversation and was assured that this was just a misunderstanding. A waitress lying to me and stealing my money is not a "misunderstanding!"

Manager was wonderful; hope he took care of the problem. If waitress is stealing from guests, it's not a huge leap to assume she is stealing from hotel. Other servers were fantastic and treated guests as if they appreciated them and wanted them to come back. We will go back, but I think I will go to McDonalds for breakfast!

Directions: Right on A1A from Commercial Blvd. Left on Galt Ocean Dr. on left

• DrDevience's Profile Photo

Bring Your Own Coffee

The Ocean Manor is actually privately owned condos which are rented out as hotel rooms when the owners are not in residence. As such, each room is unique so your experience may vary from ours.

Our room, while nice at a surface glance, had many problems. The door to the bathroom was of the sliding variety and stuck annoyingly often.

The air conditioning was broken, but I have to give them a break on that since this stay was just days after a hurricane.

The bed was comfy and we did have an ocean-view balcony... very nice when staying in a property that is right on the beach (as opposed to the more southerly properties which are all actually across the street from the beach).

There is a coffee maker, but the hotel does NOT supply coffee, creamer, sugar... That was very annoying. We had to walk to a strip mall to find a place for coffee.

The restaurant is for dinner only. The Tiki Hut bar is on the beach and very pleasant, aside from the bartender who put a ton of rum in my virgin colada and laughed while he did it... grrr

The desk staff and residents are all very nice here.

Unique Quality: No Internet access here.

They have a small game room with a pool table.

There is a beauty salon but it wasn't open while we were here.

Directions: In the Galt Ocean Mile off of A1A

More about Ocean Manor Resort Hotel

Loved the Ocean Manor Penthouse

As a frequent customer, I always get top notch customer service & great rates!!! The last time I stayed was in the Penthouse which is located on the 11th floor with an amazing panoramic view of the ocean. Great place for a romantic get away or honeymoon - loved it!!!!!!!!!
Dave Markus

Avoid Ocean Manor at all costs!

by TripAdvisor Member bjshiff

Unless things have drastically changed, do not stay here! It was terrible. On arriving Christmas day, we were told that the hotel restaurant and bar were closed, but would re-open the following day. We were disappointed, but managed to find an open restaurant by driving around Ft Lauderdale.
The restaurant never opened (we were supposed to be there for 10 days) and we found out from the maintenance staff they had lost their restaurnant and liquor licenses. The snack bar at the pool never opened. The pool was cold. There was no towel service at the pool. The room was worse yet. There was some kind of green worm-like bugs on our beds. There was no coffee maker, no hairdryer, no refrigerator. We asked if we could change rooms and they insisted there were none available, although there appeared to be very few people staying at the hotel. After about 5 days of this, we moved to a different hotel. The travel site we booked through would not refund our money, even though the hotel was nothing like what it was advertised to be. My family and I had stayed in this hotel a few years ago for the weekend for a wedding and it had a nice location and a nice pool, so we decided to spend the Christmas 2003 holidays there. We were shocked at the deterioration in just a couple of years. Worse yet, the front desk staff were not honest about the lack of amentities when we checked in. Avoid this place at all costs.

OK for a budget vacation

Just returned from the Ocean Manor this weekend. It is OK for a quick budget getaway trip, but there are multiple problems. Do not take a date here that you are trying to impress. Be sure you get the best price, you will get the same quality room whether you pay $109 per night (as we did) vs $169 or more. We arrived 830pm Fri night and got the LAST available room - second floor, overlooking street, over "Club Kyma" which can be pretty loud at night. The couple arriving at 835PM was told there was no room for them, despite the fact that they had reservations. They were re-booked somewhere else and had to pay the extra $50 per night themselves. The room had just been redecorated (new granite counters/stainless refrig) and it was clean (except for a dirty coffee pot) - no bugs or dirty sheets. The best thing about the hotel is the location, right on the beach. The crowd is 50-60+ age group. Definitely bring your own beach towel - they say they provide them, but NEVER had towels available during our 3 day stay and sometimes you had to hunt for chairs (you can tip Claudio the beach guy, but do NOT pay for chairs - we saw him charge one family for them as they apparently didn't know they were supposed to be included). We ended up finding one leftover beach towel from the front desk and one off the maid's cart to use on the beach. You might also want to bring your own shower towel. Our room was never cleaned Sat so at 4PM we had to re-use our old shower towels while waiting about 1 hour for the maid to FIND some new ones. When she arrived to clean we said she didn't need to worry about cleaning the whole room if she could just clean the bathroom and get us towels - she said "what needs cleaning in the bathroom?", obviously not wanting to do it, so we just took our shower towels and were thankful for that. There will always be someone at the front desk complaining about one thing or another - I think they're immune by now, but they do put on a good "game face" and usually take care of the problem eventually. The outside valet car service is the one thing that is outstanding and necessary (there are not enough spots for all the cars); they work only for tips. Overall we had a great weekend, despite the above problems, b/c we set our expectations low from reading previous reviews and didn't spend too much time in the room. South Beach Miami is only about 40 min away. Highly recommend Blue Moon Fish Co and Gibby's for dinner.

Used to own a room there

I used to own a really nice room in the hotel. The hotel rented it for me and didn't pay me my share. One of my "tenants" brought bugs into the room and I finally got so discusted I sold it. Don't even think about staying there. The Management is terrible. In it's day it was probably really wonderful but the maintenence has been terrible. If they could get a management company to run it right it could be great again, but for right now don't waste your money.

great time can not complain about anything

So i was sitting out on the beach on the chair, relaxing and though to myself "This is one of the best vacations i have been on" they have a great cabana guy named Claudio. He was always helpful and he was never not helping us, i met a lot of great people in the week i was there. The front desk staff was a nice group of guys all helping out for where to get a good bite to eat to where the hot spots were. Can not wait to go back agian.

Time to condemn

by TripAdvisor Member onestar

I have stayed in a private unit in this hotel, but even those are not immune from the cockroaches. The decent looking lobby is the only nice thing here. Peeling paint, dirt and mould are all the norm, as well as wait staff who ask for tips! The reservations system is useless, we waited for hours until they found ours. The staff turnover here is constant. From the condo next door (where we now stay) one can see how truly shabby this building is. Probably built in the sixties, this building has NEVER been renovated , only cheap cosmetic touch -ups. Also, you have to pay for beach chairs as the hotel contracts this out. Beach towels are cheap and threadbare. the management at this place hide out in the back offices and are beyond rude and incompetent. Believe every bad thing you have read about this dump.

what the heck is that

Hotel was disgusting can't believe they weren't condemed yet, and they said they just completed renovation. Where? Paid for balcony room. Did not have a balcony room. the manager would not discout our room either to a nonbalcony rate nor would she give us another room. After complainig we called back for a wakeup call for the next morning and never got it. real nice we barely made it to our flight as they were calling us last chance.

Depends on which unit you stay in and what you expect

We have stayed in three different privately owned condos in this resort, including this past Christmas, and they were not what I would call luxurious, but they were reasonably clean and comfortable. Saw no cockroaches. The lobby is dated but OK. The hallways are musty smelling and depressing, and the exterior of the building definitely needs work.

The pool and beach areas are nicely kept and the tiki hut bar has been renovated. A seafood restaurant is operating on site, but it doesn't seem busy. As far as paying for beach chairs, the only thing we paid was a tip at the end of the week for the guy who placed them on the beach for you. I have heard that the hotel rooms have been renovated, but from what I could see, they're still not good. If someone would put some money into this place, it would be lovely because the location is wonderful and the area is safe and convenient.

Ocean Manor Rooms

by sayley

I am staying at the Ocean Manor Resort in July. We booked our room through a travel agent and not through a private owner. I have heard everyone say that you must book through a private owner. Is this true?

Re: Ocean Manor Rooms