Ocean Sky Hotel and Resort

4060 Galt Ocean Dr., (Formerly "Ramada Plaza Resort"), Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33308, United States

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• My Favorite Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale

This is my favorite Ft. Lauderdale hotel. Most Ft. Lauderdale hotels are not directly on the beach, but across the street. This is one of the very few directly on the beach. The deck and pool area is enormous with lots of luxurious deck chairs. The hotel is an easy walk to local convenience and grocery stores. There are some restaurants within easy walk, but most require a short car ride.

Suites have the best views, but are not worth the premium price. Similar views can be had from the most easterly regular rooms. By a wide margin, the rooms on the north side have a better view than the south. It is especially important on the south side to get a high room to avoid the din of the hotel's mechanical air handlers. You cannot reserve specific rooms in advance, but early arrivals have the option to pass on the room assigned to them in favor of a better choice which will become available later in the day.

Tip the car valets and be treated like a king. Most guests do not tip.

Directions: At the extreme north of the Ft. Lauderdale beaches.

• Robinski9's Profile Photo

We stayed at the Ramada Beach...

We stayed at the Ramada Beach Resort. It's a great location. You walk out the back door of the hotel and you're on the beach.
    We got a really great off-season deal ($250 per person, including air fare for three nights!). They were also renovating. This was not a problem. All the noise and commotion was well away from our rooms. I have no idea what their rates are on high season.

Unique Quality: Right on the beach. Great concierge service.

Directions: Right on Gault-Ocean Drive. Be sure and tell the cab driver that you want the one on the beach. There was a lot of confusion at the airport. This Ramada does not have a regular courtesy van to the air

More about Ocean Sky Hotel and Resort

Very Disappointing

After driving across the state of Florida, we were very disappointed when we found our rooms were not as advertised. They were very depressing. They smelled bad and when we stepped out onto the (balcony), we were disappointed to see that they were not even big enough for a chair to sit on and were separated from the ones next door by a 2 x 4 board. We had to lean out and look over to even see the ocean. Hotel personnel were gracious, however the hotel needs alot of work. Hallways were depressing to walk through and anywhere beyond the lobby was dirty. We didn't even have our luggage brought to our rooms, we checked out and thankfully management gave us a full refund. If you want a "happy" vacation, do not expect it at this establishment.

Not that bad

I stayed at this hotel June 10-13th, 2004. It was a very clean hotel that wasn't as bad as most of the reviews I read prior to booking. The location on the beach is awesome, but if you are looking for easy access to all the bars and shops on Las Oslas Blvd. then you may want to stay somewhere closer because it is not in walking distance. Non of the rooms face the ocean except the sutes that you can upgrade to for about $55. All of the rooms have a balcony that face other hotels/condos. Drink prices at the tiki bar are outrageous. It was very convienent to have a refridgerator in the room (so you can buy your own alcohol and keep it in the fridge for a lot less). This hotel was decent, but my next stay will be somewhere will the action is!!

Great Time

I stayed at the Ramada from June 9-15. Before going, I read the reviews and thought "what am I getting myself into." I already had booked and paid for the room so I went. Surprisingly, the hotel was great. The rooms were very clean, there were no bugs, and maid service was great. The pool area was very relaxing and even though it said it stayed open until 10, I was there until midnight and when I left, there were still people out there. Although there were only limited beach front rooms, the view from the side of the building was fine. You could still see the ocean. I would recommend anyone to go there and would definitely stay there again.

Not too bad...

My boyfriend and I went to the Ramada Plaza Beach Resort for spring break in April, 2004. We tried to find something that was nice but not expensive since we are college students. The hotel wasn't too bad. The people at the front desk and the maids were nice. We even got locked out on our balcony but luckily I had my cell phone and someone came to let us in. The room was clean and the bathroom had nice shelves in the wall and drawers under the sink for all our stuff. The mattress on the king size bed was pretty comfortable. The balcony faced the hotel next to us but we could still be part of the ocean. The ice machines are on every other floor...and of course not the floor we were on. The beach wasn't very big but was never crowded. We had to rent beach chairs for $4 per chair each day if we wanted to use them on the beach. The pool and hot tub looked clean but we never used them because we were always on the beach or in the ocean. There are free chairs/loungers on the pool deck to use but if you didn’t get out there early in the morning it was hard to find a good spot. The prices of the drinks at the Tiki bar by the pool were outrageous for what you got. The hotel was about a 10 minute drive north of the “main drag” where a lot of restaurants and bars are…not too bad for a cab ride. My boyfriend probably wouldn’t want to stay there again but I didn’t think it was too bad…maybe if it was a little less than what we paid I would go back.

Trying to be fair but accurate.

I am trying to be as fair as possible while being truthful. If you are thinking about staying at this hotel, chances are you will get one of two sides of a coin. Heads and you get a reasonably priced hotel room in a 2 star hotel with a private beach. Tails and you get a disaster. We got the latter despite name dropping and referencing this site to the manager, John Cahaly.

To John Cahaly, Manager. I was hoping that emailing you before we went, naming the travel agent we booked through and letting you know that I read the reviews on Tripadvisor.com would make a difference when we got there. Unfortunately, it did not.

Important note: The entire area is just not on par with what you will usually find in a vacation spot area. It was in its' hey day back in the 70's probably but now is just an old washed up resort town. Either that or am I much more of a snob than I thought (and I seriously doubt that being of meager means). Bear that in mind when reading my comments.

My wife and I showed up July 9th, 2004 and were promptly placed into a smoking room even though the reservation was specifically for a non-smoking room. No problem as the friendly desk staff promptly changed the room to a non-smoking room. Unfortunately, it also came with empty soda and beer cans on the shared balcony next to a vomit soaked pillow.

Think of every jailhouse scene in a movie that has a cell block with a second floor. You know those cells inmates have to walk by to get to their own, well those are the rooms and that walkway is the equivalent of your balcony. Add a 2 x 4 of plaster or some sort of sheet rock as a divider from the people next door, a deadbolt and doorknob lock to the door leading out and you have a picture of what the room and balcony looked like.

Mind you, while this was going on, there were Mercedes Benz and other luxury cars pulling up to the hotel with people who seemed the kind to not accept poor quality. This leads me to believe that as I said before, the hotel is a Jekyll and Hyde proposition depending on how much you are paying. The suites are probably the only rooms worth paying for or staying in unless you are used to motel style accommodations at hotel prices. After what we had seen, we just didn't want to stay there at all. The desk staff was nice and asked if a different room would help resolve the problem but I said no.

We finally ended up driving into Pompano Beach and staying at a Holiday Inn which was passable for $30 a night more. That was still not worth the money but after driving for 4 hours and worried that we would HAVE to stay at the Ramada, we were happy to find anything better than the "per hour" style accommodations at the Ramada.

By the way, I have no agenda or vendetta since I didn't even stay there. Having the manager post a response blaming the issues on people wanting to berate the establishment is just wrong. I just wanted to give back to the Tripadvisor community who are usually dead on with their reviews in the negative and positive of hotels. Had it not been for the reviews, I would have totally unprepared and it would have ruined my beach weekend.

Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.

Needs some improvements

by TripAdvisor Member cmatwood1

The Ramada Plaza Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale has much to be desired. The pictures online do not represent what the hotel actually looks like.

The service is very poor, however they are consistent. All the way from the valet to the servers in the restaurant. We had many specific experiences where the service was poor.

The quality of the hotel is also poor. It looks like the hotel was remodeled but there are cracks and splattered paint all over the place. Our bathroom leaked water and was not cleaned throughly.

The best part about the stay was the beach. The hotel is removed pretty far from the downtown area, but the beach is very nice. It is quite and relatively clean.

My experience was not horrible, but there are many other hotels that are much nicer and closer to town that are in the same price range. Honestly, I have stayed at Motels that were nicer than this "Resort?".

I encourage feedback, and would be more than willing to give some personal examples of my experience at this hotel.

Very disappointing

I got married in Ft. Lauderdale May 28th this year, the happiest day of my life only to have the disappointment of the Ramada!! Before I had booked the Ramada I had read some of the reviews but I thought , "it can't possibly be that bad" Well my husband and our three friends that accompanied us were and truly disappointed. The service in the restaurant was appaulling, the morning of my wedding we were over an hour waiting for breakfast, asked for extra toast, and the waitress was extremely rude, now we are not at all fussy, we all work in the hospitality industry, but the service was unreal. The night of our wedding there was a disco in the hotel, myself and my bridesmaid took a seat while the fellas were getting a drink, a waitress came over and very rudely told us we couldn't take a seat without ordering a drink from her, if she even had a civil atitude, it would have been okay, she made us so unwellcome. Then my sister-in-law wanted to send a bottle of champagne to our room, she was over an hour organising this to the cost of over $80, which she didn't mind, but the girl in reception just didn't want to be hassled. Each day there was a new upset. I just wouldn't reccomend anyone to stay there. We've been to Florida three times and absolutely love it, but my heart went out too our friends because it was such a disappointing hotel. In Short the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, they need a good Manager BADLY!! They assume by being by the beach they'll get the custom, but it's a terrible atitude!! One last thing (!) Charisma hair and nail salon next door were absolutely fabulous, they made us feel so welcome, and Fr. Fogarty, Plantation unlike The Ramada!!!!!!

Good hotel with one problem

After some of the reviews of this hotel my wife and myself were a little worried about what we would find. As it turned out we only had one problem with this hotel which I will explain later. First the good news. We stayed one night before our cruise and one night after our cruise in two differant rooms. Both times our rooms were very clean and no bugs. The staff was very helpful and very nice. When we got off the cruise and got to the hotel our room was ready at 10 am. The hotel is right on a nice sandy beach with a clean pool and lawn chairs to relax on. Price wise the Ramada was great. I checked the hotel next door and for a city view the room was $ 129.00 plus tax. A ocean view was 189.00 plus tax. At the Ramada I paid $ 85.00 including tax for a parshal view. However the one problem I had was this. When we left to go to the cruise ship I asked what was the best way to go there I was told by a staff memeber that he would arrange the transportation. The price was $ 27.00 with $ 10.00 deposit and I would pay the driver the other $17.00. I thought this was a little high as it only cost a little over $ 30.00 from the airport. The man said no that was the cost and that in the morning it was very busy. I said ok and the driver picked us up the next day and took us to the docks. When we got back from the cruise we got a taxi back to the hotel (there very 4 cruise ships disembarking so it was a busy time) and it only cost us $ 16.00. Later I asked the manager on duty about the $ 11.00 dollar differance and she said she did not know how I could get it that cheap. I let it ride and had them order me a taxi for the next day to go to the airport. When we check out I asked if our taxi had been ordered and the person was not sure and ordered another one. When it arrived we loaded everthing into the cab when another gentleman pulled up in a privite viechel and said he was here to pick us up. I told him we were all ready loaded and going he was a little up set. When we got in the cab I mentioned to the taxi driver that the other guy was up set because he said he had paid the hotel it commision already. The taxi driver went on to explain that most hotel get a kick back these drivers. Sure enough we drove by the cruiseship docks and the meeter on the cab was around $ 15.00. This would explain the $ 11.00 differance.

As i stated before I really like this hotel for the location,price,rooms and friendly staff. The only thing I did not like was the kickbacks. However the taxi driver did say alot of the hotels do it. Would I stay there again? Both my wife and me say with out a dout we would, we would just call a cab on our on

Kevin Peddy

Paradise

Ramada Plaza Beach Resort
4060 Galt Ocean Dr.,
Fort Lauderdale, FL

My wife and I spent the week between Christmas and New Years here, and we were very pleased. We drove, thinking we'd want to drive around the town, but next time we'll fly, since this resort has everything right on site, and there's plenty of places that are within walking distance. Within walking distance (< 1 mile): nice bars/restatuarants, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, a salon, Walgreens...The hotel's tiki bar includes taxes and tips for all purchases and 2 pina coladas cost 16.89...They are super duper yummy, but that's pricey if you plan on drinking more one! BUT cans of Bud, Ultra are like $3 each, add $1 for imports like Corona..so not bad for the beers, considering you're in the large hot tub or by the pool over-looking the ocean....The beach elevator is a great idea, since it goes right outside to the beach / pool deck / tiki bar. The hotel resatuarant is great. The rooms are nice, the balconies are big (but they don't seem to clean them..I didn't care). The fitness room is tiny, with a multi-gym, a treadmill, and a stair-stepper. Also, there is a tiki-bar right next door on the beach as well. The area is full of condos, and resorts like this RIGHT ON THE BEACH are not common. We are looking forward to staying here again.

Comments