The Pillars Hotel

111 North Birch Road, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33304, United States
The Pillars Hotel Fort Lauderdale
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

More about The Pillars At New River Sound

This is THE Place For Peace, Quiet & Class!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Goldenoak

We just completed our first stay at the Pillars New River Sound, 9/22-9/26. We loved it and we found it to be a true small luxury hotel. We had the "New River Suite" which was great, the decor was outstanding and full of old world charm. The staff is very attentive to detail and to service. The hotel has a real European touch and ambiance. The breakfast is great (you must order the night before due to preparation time), the lunch was great as was the room service dinner which we had on 2 nights. We also used their Spa service (book 1 day in advance) for a massage which was also outstanding and top quality. The pool and dock area is very nice, clean, neat and looks just as it does on their web site. The water taxi service is direct to their dock and the price for this is outstanding, $5 for a full day pass. If you want luxury, old world charm, plus peace and quiet, then this is the place to find it in the South Florida area. If you want the big hotel scene, then this is not the place for you. It is the perfect place for a quiet and romantic escape. Other entertainment options and high quality places to dine are also very near by and the water taxi can be used for this as well as transport to the shopping districts.

One note that I look for in these reviews is, would the reviewer make a return trip to the hotel under review. Our answer to this is yes, no doubt that we will visit again when we need that bit of peace and quiet break. The only thing we will change on our next visit is to book a suite with a whirlpool in the room. Last note, if you are a smoker, as I am, then beware, all rooms and all common areas of the hotel are non-smoking. However, we would still return as I had no problem sitting on the terrace and having my cigarette while relaxing and watching the boats go up and down the river.

The Pillars made my honeymoon the beautiful time it was meant to be

My wife put me in charge of planning our honeymoon. This is certainly an arduous task to complete. She didn't want to know where we were going until the rehearsal dinner. Upon arrival we were greeted with an upgrade to a pool side room on the 2nd level. This was a happy bonus to start our week off. This really set the tone for our 5 night stay. Entering the room the linens were fresh, the color pallete was that of a stylish greens, the foyer had an animal print carpet that was fashion forward when the hotel was renovated in '99.

Turndown service was quite funny. When we entered the room after eating dinner. We found chocolates, the breakfast menu, and LOVE 94 on the radio. My wife and I shared a aw at the sweetness and attention to detail only a small, charming, and thoughtful hotel like the pillars could provide.
Ofcourse, the mini bar was over priced, but the breakfast delivered to the terrace outside our room wasn't too pricey all things considered.

One major concern I had was the decision I had made to not rent a car and instead utilitize the water taxi. I am a major proponent of Public Transportation. (The boats even on run on a renewable resource: Biodiesal). The rides were timely and the crew provided jokes and commentary on the large waterfront mansions on the intercoastal waterway.

I found myself in a terrible state our final morning at the Pillars. I believe I may have gotten food posioning from a local chain restaurant. The only we had eaten at. (The Cheescake Factory). I lost everything in the porcelin bowl. My wife called the front desk and they brought me extra towels, mouthwash, and a air freshener. They even let us stay an hour later past check out so I could get some rest before getting on the plane.

The pillars is a remarkable diamond in the rough. The taxi drivers don't exactly even know where it is. (keep directions handy if you plan on taking cabs) Nor do many locals from what I understand. When you say you're staying at the Pillars to people. Many didn't know. Some how I managed to find this place and I certainly hope you take my recommendation to heart. The pillars made my honeymoon as special as any honeymoon should be.

Heres a short list of restaurants we enjoyed during our stay: Mangos on Las Olas, the Clasablanca Cafe, the Floridian diner on Las Olas, the food court at the Galeria mall (I know what kind of a person recommends mall food, but honestly there weren't any chain restaurants and all the food was very fresh: I believe it is an anomoly to mall food: it was a great place for lunch),

Absolutely the best place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member Bobby6

Very romantic! We stayed for a weekend trip and loved this place. The decor is beautiful, the pool is so nice, as is the lovely dock on the waterway. There's nothing like having breakfast on the intercoastal. The staff was so nice & helpful. They recommended restaurants (all were great)and made our reservations for us. They have wine tasting from 5-7 and basically 24 hr room service. All the amenities of a large luxury hotel at a very intimate place. The only thing I would do differently is book a larger room. We called last minute so we got what was left open. Everything was clean, clean, clean. We will stay there. It is two blocks walking to the ocean and the water taxi comes right to the hotel to take you anywhere. Las Olas Blvd. is very cool. We ate at "The Casablanca Cafe" (lunch), "Rinos"(dinner), "The Samba Room"(dinner), and "The Floridian"(breakfast). We loved every meal!

we felt like we were in a private club

We only stayed for 2 nights, but if felt like a week. We feel in love with
the Pillars right away. We will be back, The month of May seems to be a good time. It was quiet, we had the pool to our selves, the concierge steered us to great restaurants.
On an other note, it is very romantic at the Pillars. I felt like we were on our honeymoon oall over again.

The staff is great, the rooms was very clean, the sheets were so soft.

I would only stay there if I was in Fort Lauderdale.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member lct1275

After being evacuated from Key West where our wedding was to be held, we raced online to find a quaint, hotel with lots of photo-ops. When we contacted then, they gave us the go-ahead for a small ceremony right on the dock. We reserved the room and traveled north.

When we reached the Pillars, we knew the reviews here were acurate. It was quite, elegant, and most of all, the customer service was excellent. Due the hurricane Rita, they had some guests who had their flights cancelled and therefore the room we booked (deluxe king poolside) was unavailable. They upgraded us to a room upstairs, but when we explained stairs would be difficult for me, we were given the nicest room in the hotel. Room #10. I am unsure what the room name is, but its gorgeous.

We were so happy with the location, and we WILL be returning.

Nice, but no WOW factor.

My wife and I just returned from a weekend at The Pillars. I read many reviews about how this establishment was the place to stay. Sadly I found The Pillars to be average. The rooms were nice, but small, especially the bathroom. The service was fair. We never received bars of soap in the room, and calling to reserve a reliable cab service from the hotel was a soap opera of excuses. I had to flag down all the cabs myself from AIA. The grounds are very nice and kept in pristine condition and have wonderful views of the intercoastal. I do not know why other reviews raved about warm danish for breakfast. The breakfast and lunch menus are very limited in choices, which was blessing because we found many interesting restaurants in the local area. Overall not a bad place to stay, but not memorable.

My Favorite Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale

I've been to FLL on four occasions and this was by far the best hotel of all four stays. I had wanted to stay there for years, but always felt it a little cost-prohibitive. Then, at the last minute my scheduled hotel in the area cancelled. I called and got a last minute room at a very reasonable rate. The walk to the beach is very easy...trips to Las Olas and surrounding city hot spots are quite simple. The room was "boutique-esque" and a close the lovely night was drinking a bottle of wine on the outside balcony and watching ships go through the intercoastal. Keywords: clean, romantic, and repeatable. Undeniably, my favorite hotel in Ft. Lauderdale.

A Wonderful Hotel for Couples

by TripAdvisor Member denssharon

We Stayed at The Pillars in 10/2005 as Wilma was approaching waiting to go on our cruise. The staff is incredible so thoughtful and on top of every detail.
The decor is very tasteful. We had breakfast every morning on our private patio. The water taxi will pick you up right at the hotel and take you almost anywhere in town. We relaxed at the pool very quiet and peaceful
If you want so share quality time this is the place.

Loved the Pillars

I just got back from a 4 night stay and had a great time. Seemed to be the best place to stay down there. My preference is for small boutique type hotels and this place fit the bill. The pool was nice, no kids, we had it to ourselves virtually the entire time. We spent most of the time on their dock reading the paper, eating croissants, drinking coffee, and watching the boat traffic. Went to the beach a few times which was nice but found the noise of hotel construction and traffic a bit distracting so I was more happy to spend my time snoozing at the hotel. The staff was helpful and inobtrusive. Ft. Lauderdale seems to have cleaned up pretty nicely from the hurricane and the palm trees looked like they were coming back to life. The water taxi was a great way to get to restaurants and bars (I really liked Himmarshee, urban, industrial, hip, near stop #18,the Riverwalk). The dining options were limited near the hotel although we had a yummy breakfast at Trina's (The Atlantic) down the street.

Very nice

by TripAdvisor Member hkh8

Very nice hotel with a nice easy walk to the beach. The room was great, and I had the best nights sleep in a hotel I have ever had, the bed was superb! But I want to add that I felt nickeled and dimed to death. 10 dollars for a pot of coffee to the room? Give me a break. We purchased the cruise package that included a towncar picking us up at the airport and a towncar to the ship the next day, the car to the ship never showed up and the hotel ended up getting one of their employees to take us. Next time I think I will get my own transportation.

Nancy, Angie, Eduardo, Liz & MindyNancy, Angie, Eduardo, Liz & Mindy

Liz's Birthday on Emerald PrincessLiz's Birthday on Emerald Princess

Maps by the elevatorsMaps by the elevators

A breakfast isn't complete........A breakfast isn't complete........

More Airboat Questions (sorry)

by cmillard

O.K. - it looks like there are 2 places to do an airboat tour.

Can you give any input on whether to do "Sawgrass Recreation Park" or "Florida Everglades Holiday Park"? They are both about the same distance from our hotel. I notice that Florida Everglades gives a full hour, but you're fairly under cover. Sawgrass is a shorter boat ride, but looks like it's a little more fun. Appreciate any suggestions, and thanks again everyone.

Carol.

Re: More Airboat Questions (sorry)

by Rinkman1

Carol,

I have done both. I liked Sawgrass a bit better. Their boats were open air ("no roofs")for the most part. I also thought it was "less touristy". Though with both places we saw plenty of Gators and I did learn different things from both. Also at Sawgrass we were able to see the Boat Captain and ask questions, where at Holiday Park we couldnt. Lastly our captain at Holiday seemed like he was reading off of a card where as at Sawgrass the tour seemed a lot less rehearsed.

Comments