Tropic Cay Beach Resort Hotel

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 20% less but rated 27% lower than other 2.5 star hotels

• sof76's Profile Photo

One day hotel, pre cruise

It was ok for only one night. It has a bar close to the rooms and there was a bahelor's party till 5 am.... Beds were ok, but the rest of the room was old and in bad conditions.
    People at the reception were really nice and helpful.

Unique Quality: It's infront of the beach

Directions: 6 km from Port Everglades

More about Tropic Cay Beach Resort Hotel

hated the tropic cay

This hotel was quite possibly the worst I have ever stayed in. it is in a true state of disrepair and then some. The housekeeper was pleasant but the hotel itself is beyond rennovation. The brochure is lovely unfortunately its a lie. The paint was peeling off the walls in the bathroom the light by the telivision was filthy and worked intermittently. if you turn the wall light switch off it also turns off the tv. there were water stains from the airconditioner running down the doorway into the room. The clientele werent much better, people yelling and screaming at 3am. I work in the hotel industry and have stayed at cheap hotels in the past but this one was a real loser. I thankfully only stayed one night and you can be sure I will warn anyone I know away from this place.

Nightmare on the Beach!

by TripAdvisor Member WeL0veDisney

My husband and I went to Fort Lauderdale for a romantic weekend. The Tropic Cay was horrible. It was dirty,not renovated like the ad said and literally falling down. When we checked in, we would have checked right back out except that due to the boat show and marathon there were no vacancies on the beach. Our rooms airconditiong was blowing warm air and we had to sleep with the bathroom window open. It was very uncomfortable. We asked the desk man to help us or move us and although there was a vacancy sign posted on the front of the building, he said there were no other rooms available. The only nice thing about the hotel is that the ocean is footsteps away, but all around the hotel was other shabby hotels. The Trump Tower is being built right next door so that is a big construction site and on the other side is the Hilton construction site, so the views were ugly. The other hotels were small run down places mostly closed-probably being bought out! So one day the area will be great again. Dont stay at the Tropic Cay! It was gross, gross, gross. I wasnt looking for fancy but this wasnt even a one star hotel. We did check out the next day and went off the beach to stay! Oh and by the way our rate was $109-not even worth that!! I wouldnt have stayed for free.

Great location, great price but don't expect the Ritz

We stayed at the Tropic Cay for two weeks my wife,3 kids and I. The first day I wanted to cancel everything and find something else... anything other than this place. The room was dirty (the word is weak). There was a coat of dust on the furniture... door knobs were sticky. The windows were so dirty that it felt like these were all translucent bathroom windows. We had a room with efficiency. We had 1 fork, 3 spoons and 2 knives in the kitchen. We had no toaster, no coffee maker and the fridge would not work properly. We had to use the freezer to keep the milk (we'd take it out once in a while to avoid freezing). I must say that the staff was helpful when we asked for the missing parts. They managed to find a coffee maker (in another room, creating a hole somewhere else) and we eventualy received a toaster. As for the fridge, they replaced it with another one after a few days complaining.

However the bathroom was clean.

We could not relocate because it is rather hard to find a room for 5 for 2 weeks right in the middle of February. We decided to fix things ourselves. We went to the supermarket (2 miles from there) and bought 25$ of cleaning stuff. It took us a few hours to do the job and then we could enjoy a clean room for the rest of the stay.
All in all, it cost us 25$ (plus a bag of mixed plastic utencils) and a little time but we saved big on rent. We had friends staying at a cleaner hotel a few blocks south of us and they paid 90$ more per day.

The pool was clean although we could not use it for a few day, the thermostat was broken and it kept heating non-stop. It must have been somewhere between 120-130 F. It took a few days and many complaints before management decided to turn the heater off (In the mean time they had to add water every single day because it was so hot that it was evaporating...). This wasn't all that bad because there was the beach.

The beach is perfect. It is clean, not overcrowded and it is right accross the street.

Bottom line we had a good time there considering that we invested a small part of the economy we made by staying there in taking care ourselves of the room.

Demanded a refund

by TripAdvisor Member rea2383

I made reservations through the hotel's website for a group of 20 of us. BIG MISTAKE!! I should have looked at the reviews first but did not know about trip advisor at the time. The place looked like paradise on the web. When we arrived in Florida and pulled up to this hotel it was unbelievable. The sheets and curtains were thrown across the floor. There was rat poison placed in different areas and the bathroom looked like it had not been cleaned since the place opened. P--- stains all over it. I demanded a refund and told the lady at the desk I was disappointed. She told me "Get out I am not giving you anything" not even a receipt. So I took my crew walked away and challenged the charge with my cc company. We ended up staying at Flying cloud motel which was absolutely gorgeous. We went back to Flying cloud in September with a bigger group of around 115 people.

cancelled my reservation due to the managers ignorance

I booked 6 hotel rooms for a group that is travelling together. I was given a special rate and told that there would be no reservation fee as I was booking for so many other people. When I got my Visa bill I was billed for one nights accomodation. I called and spoke to the manager who was so rude he not only yelled at me but swore at me and then told me that the rate I was quoted was so cheap that he would not have given me that rate. The rate I was quoted was so competative that when he swore at me I cancelled the entire reservation.

If this is the customer service that the manager offers, what would a disgruntled employee offer. I'd rather pay more for better service

Great for Spring Breakers & drunks alike

by TripAdvisor Member globalgirl1

Not clean, not impressive, not anything except for a great spring break hangout. We went with a group of 16 for spring break we partied every night and usually accidently trashed the room. So if that's what you want then this hotel is perfect. If you are a spring breaker on a budget this hotel is for you. The beach is right across the street, there's a pool bar, and it's a five minute walk to all the bars, shopping, reataurants. Plus there were spring breakers everywhere. But be warned this place is not clean, it is however $100 for the week, so...

Unacceptable - checked out

by TripAdvisor Member BostonStephanie

We left shortly after check-in due to the filthy state of the room, which included cockroaches. We ended up at a 5-star in Hollywood because it is a peak travel week, and could find no other hotel.

absolutely the WORST

This place was awful. We arrived outside the "lobby" which was no bigger than a small gas station (no cleaner either) and there was a sign on the door "we'll be back in 5 minutes." When we went in to the lobby it was dirty. An air conditioner full of dust was sitting on the floor and the man at the front desk was totally rude. The pool area was gross. I don't know if they ever cleaned the pool and a dog was roaming around peeing on the lounge chairs. We were afraid to walk on the floor without shoes on, wouldn't take a shower in this place, put our own towels over the bed linens -too gross to lay on, oh yea and the one bed had blood smeared down the side of it. The ONLY good thing I can say about this place is it is located across from the ocean, but please spend the money and go somewhere else-this place is a DUMP!

Seedy Joint

by TripAdvisor Member dsgbead

I too was fooled by the photos on the ad -- this place is a dump & hasn't seen maintenance/upkeep of any kind in decades. Your basic room in the lowest ranked hotel chain would have been 5 stars compared to this place.

The air conditioners were small, old, filthy, & blew warm air. Each room had an ac unit through a hole in the wall, propped up on a rickety plywood shelf with no insulation around it (you could see daylight all around the unit); the room door was not a tight seal either & looked as if a hard shove could open it.

The walkway in front of the room did not have proper drainage -- had to wade through standing water after a rain. Absolutely nasty steps with peeling stained rubber.

No amenities other than a small refrigerator & itty bitty bars of soap. Tile floors, peeling plaster in the bathrooms, stains on the bathroom floor. Single pedastal sink with one outlet as part of the single bulb overhead.

Loud, drunk college students made up the clientele (there's an open air bar on the premises right beside the small pool).

People say you get what you pay for, but $120/night was way too much for this flophouse.

Horrible

by TripAdvisor Member doc2233

Dirty, dirty, dirty. Floors were filthy, bed bugs, street creeps passed out 20 feet from bar; loud patrons at bar, dirty windows ...would never stay here again! Bad, bad, bad. Bar tables were so dirty it was gross. Pool was not clean. Disgusting.

Me , Eduardo & JohnMe , Eduardo & John

My Baby opening her first Birthday presentMy Baby opening her first Birthday present

View of connector bridge and living quartersView of connector bridge and living quarters

Cinnamon bun French ToastCinnamon bun French Toast

Time to Arrive

by Barbtonio

What is a realistic time to get to the Air & Sea Show in Ft Lauderdale?. I live in Hollywood and was going to leave my house @ 6 am. I will totally panic if there is mad, mad traffic and like to be the first one there. Is this too late or too early. Also, I have my 4 year old with me. So, where is the best place to park so we don't have to walk alot?

Barbi

by tropicdiver

I'm on the beach, now! I'd say leaving by 6:00 AM will work. I think you're going to end up having to walk wherever you head towards. I assume there is parking at the Galleria, but that's still a bit of a hike, if you're not staying at a hotel on the beach. :-)

by SunTanBob

We've arrived as late as 8-8:30 am before and the traffic has been pretty light and there is still space available on the beach. Depending on where you are in Hwood I would think a 6am departure should put you there around 6:45 max.

Here are some things that have worked out for us the past few years re: traffic and parking:

1) Traffic: Take I-95 to either Oakland Park or Commercial. Head east, cross US1, and turn south on Bayview. (Take the same route on the way out after the show). Most people come/go either Broward or Sunrise, so that is where you will get the worst congestion.

2) Parking: When heading south on Bayview to the show turn east (NE 11th St) the block before you get to Sunrise. There is parking in this neighborhood and in the parking lots behind the shopping plazas on the north side of Sunrise across from the Galleria. Park as far east as you can. Parking is usually about $20 but from there it is a short walk over the bridge to the beach and getting out after the show is easy, so we consider it well worth the price.

Enjoy the show.

by Barbtonio

My goodness, thank you for your detailed answer! You rock! Hope you enjoy the show as well!

Barbi

by Barbtonio

Thanks for your reply! Enjoy the show.

Comments