Destin West Beach and Bay Resort

Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 1 review
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 286 reviews
Expedia.com Hotwire.com

Great resort/Condo a disappointment (heron 609)

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 16, 2011

The Destin West is a great place to stay! The grounds are maintained very well and the lazy river is outstanding. The walk to the beach from the Bay side is quite a haul, though, so if you are looking for easy access to a beach, you will want to stay on the gulf side. We would visit the Destin West again, but would not rent through VROM/ Buzz Embry. We stayed in a corner condo on the 6th floor looking out over the beautiful lazy river- 1326 Miracle Strip Parkway, "Heron 609". The layout of the condo was great, the kitchen was nice with good stainless appliances/granite, etc., but the condo had not been maintained. The advertisement on the VROM site says, "Be the first to rent this brand new condo!" which is laughable. The condo looks as though it has had at least 2 years of renters coming through with zero maintainance. The walls are all banged up and the carpet is disgusting (photo's included), knobs were missing from the kitchen cabinets, light bulbs were burned out, the vaccum didn't work, etc. etc. I felt more comfortable having my baby crawl on the AIRPORT carpet than this carpet. It needs to be replaced, but doesn't even look as if it's been CLEANED in a long time. The cleaning crew looked like they did a good job of basic cleaning before we came, though and the bathrooms, kitchen and tile floors were pretty clean. I contacted VROM/ Buzz Embry the day we arrived and left a message requesting a new vaccum cleaner, as the one in the room didn't work. I got no return call. I called the next day and left another message. No return call. I then sent an e-mail and threatened to call the owners of the condo and finally got an e-mail back. Buzz said I had called the wrong number, yet it's the number that they have printed in the all over the guide book they left for us in the condo and it had his name on the machine greeting. Hmmm. Once he "got" my message, they were quick to bring a new sweeper, which I did appreciate. My understanding is that the condo has declined in value from approximately 700k to 350k in this terrible real estate market, so I am guessing the owners are not putting any money into maintaining it....and it shows. It could be such a great place if they would paint the walls and change the carpet. Also, they told us there would be beach towels there, and there were...4 theadbare/mismatched towels. Had we known, we would have brought our own. For a condo that rents for $2300 in peak season, you expect more. Overall, still a great trip and I would absolutely go back to the Destin West, I just wouldn't rent from VROM.

Unique Quality: The view from the huge patio is amazing..you can see the bay and lazy river.

Nearby Destin West Beach and Bay Resort

Destin West Beach and Bay Resort

• Destin West Beach And Bay Hotel Fort Walton Beach

Address: 1322 Miracle Strip Parkway, SE, Okaloosa Island, Fort Walton Beach, Florida, 32548, United States

5 Photos of Destin West Beach and Bay Resort

• Pets Allowed
  • Kids Activities
  • Kitchenette

Fort Walton Beach Travel Forum

Need advice about Fort Walton Beach, Florida? Visit the Travel Forum for Fort Walton Beach and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Fort Walton Beach hotel reviews

Gulf Islands National Seashore - Naval Live Oaks
Dolphins at the Gulfarium
Sea Lion Show at the Gulfarium
Things to Do
Sonny's Barbecue - no relation to Daddy's!
Restaurants
Crab and shrimp to die for....!
Indian Temple Mound Museum