Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

2900 South West 13th St. (formerly Sheraton Gainesville), Gainesville, Florida 32608, United States
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

Loved the Paramount Plaza

I had my wedding reception here and while I did not pay outrageous amounts of money for the reception, I felt like with the quality of professionalism by everyone and the above and beyond effort made to accomodate my every request, I felt like I was paying for a reception several times as expensive. The coordinators were great. I always felt like I was #1 with them. Any question I had to ask was answered politely and I was never made to feel like a bother even though being a nervous bride I know I probably was. I chose the Paramount because of the courteous way they responded to me and my fiance'. One place I had to call 5 times before they would call me back. One call was all it took for the Paramount. I can say enough about how beautifully the reception was decorated, just like I had asked. The food was THE BEST and everyone was talking about it. Great quality work, professionalism from everyone, attentive, and genuine. Nothing but good things to say. Even the rooms were fantastic, especially our room that overlooked the Lake.

NOT a Three Star Hotel!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Emmalbrog

My husband and I stayed for one night and cancelled our reservations for our stay during my surgery at Shands Hospital next week. For starters, the Hotel is old! I was looking very forward to staying at this Hotel after reading about the "wonderful beds" and the "feather pillows". The "pillow top" beds are so so, the bed linens are old, and the pillows are featherless!
There was very little hot water and the bathroom sink was full of dark brown substance that had backed up into it during the night. This is definitely NOT a three star hotel and I would NEVER recommend it to anyone.

What a dump!

by TripAdvisor Member traveling419

We stayed at the Paramount Resort & Conference Center while visiting my son at school. What a dump! The first room the staff tried to give us was horrible - there were many holes in the bedspread, the wallpaper was falling off the walls, and there were all kinds of stains all over the carpet. When I went to the front desk to ask for a different room, the woman at the desk was not very helpful, and told me that the carpet in the room I was complaining about was only two weeks old. We got another room, and it was not much better. The rooms are very small, the bathroom is tiny, the furniture is 50ish retro and very uncomfortable, and the color scheme for the whole hotel is mustard yellow and baby-poop brown. There were dead plants in the hall by the elevator, and as we exited the elevator once, housekeeping staff were sitting on the side table, eating. The only plus I have to report was that the bed was comfortable for a hotel bed. We will never stay here again.

Stay somewhere else

The towels were paper thin and rough as sandpaper. The bathtub did not drain--had to take showers in standing water--awful. The room was nice size and clean but I would not stay here again.

Gross! What a Nightmare

I would never let anyone i knew stay here, even if I did not like them. There were bugs in my room and if you look out the window you can see them in the webs on the balcony. And Im not just talking a small web in the corner, its more like a bad Halloween dream. Do not Stay at this Hotel. I went and tried tio talk to someone in the sales office, no one was the slightest bit helpful, much less did they care. The older brunette in the corner office was very rude.
What a nightmare.

I'm glad I didn't believe the negative reviews ...

Although the Paramount was not a four or five star hotel, it was clean and well maintained. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and although I could tell this was not a new hotel, I fell asleep easily without fearing for my life or my health. The only negative that I found was that the water had a faint taste of mildew (and chlorine). But hey, it's Florida. Hot water was never a problem, as is described in one of the other reviews ... if anything, I had to watch that the water didn't get too hot when I was in the shower. The breakfast buffet wasn't gourmet, but it was sustaining and reasonably priced. Overall, I would definitely stay at this hotel again when visiting Gainesville. I've traveled to many parts of the US and Europe on business, and this hotel doesn't even come close to the worst place I've stayed in within the US. I would have no problem recommending this hotel to business associates, friends, and family.

stay only when have to

I have stayed here every April for the last 4 years. It has not improved even though they say renovated.
The rooms are not very nice, and the service people are not that great.
I never stay here unless the seminar I attend is at this hotel.

Adequate - a little heavy on the Febreze. 2 stars at best

The front desk sevice, shuttle to Shands and restaurant service were all excellent. The rooms are spacious and ours had a nice view of the lake. The bed looked like a bowl and was pretty uncomfortable. The pillows were heavenly. The common areas are in need of repair. The hallways smelled as though someone dumped a bottle of febreze or some other type of airfreshner. Definitely not a typical 3-star hotel.

Hated the Paramount

Stayed here years ago and had a bad experience. The pool was filthy with plant debris. When I made the recent reservation I had forgotten that this was the same hotel.

The second experience was also bad. Took them 3 times to get me a room. The first room was smoking which I had requested non smoking.The second room the key wouldn't work. The last room was filthy but at least it was non smoking and the key worked. At the front desk they don't ask how your stay was. I guess they really don't care.

Don't be attracted to the Paramount by the word RESORT in the name. There are much nicer places to stay in G'ville.

Not the greatest!

by TripAdvisor Member orlandobeck

Stayed here in 2 different rooms while a family member was at Shands. I guess you get what you pay for-the hospital rate was only $49 a night. This property is very old. The rooms are not very clean. The carpet and furniture were badly stained. The bathrooms in both rooms had mold and peeling paint on the ceiling. The bathroom was small(door barely cleared toilet). Shampoo was hardly ever replenished and was a different brand each time and very old looking. I am picky when it comes to hotels but this place was nasty. Resort? I don't think so! The buffet breakfast was greasy and made me sick. A few plusses-the shuttle to Shands, the restaurant staff was top knotch(for such a dump) and the hospital rate was cheap. I am sure there are better places to stay even if you just want a bed and a shower.

Comments