green cove springs, florida
"green cove springs"
green cove springs is a small town located on the st. johns river about thirty miles south of jacksonville. green cove springs is the county seat of clay county florida. native americans inhabited the area around green cove spring for thousands of years. william bartram established a plantation on the st. johns river near green cove springs in 1766. in 1816 george clarke built a saw mill near the spring. the town of green cove springs was established in 1854 and was originally called white sulfur springs. after the civil war green cove springs become a popular tourist attraction. in 1895 the great freeze killed off most of the citrus trees in the area and the economy of the town began to decline. also during this decade henry flagler built the florida east coast railway to miami which greatly hurt green cove spring's tourist industry. the economy of the area did not recover until the construction of a naval air station in 1940.
the small town of green cove springs has a very nice public park on the st. johns river and a number of historic sites downtown. for those interested in florida history and southern culture green cove springs is an interesting side trip when in the jacksonville area.