Casa Thorn Bed & Breakfast

114 Palm Lane, Florida, 33036, United States

• JanetG17's Profile Photo

My Favorite B&B in The Keys

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS PLACE! It's the most hippy chic, tree-huggin, nature lovin, garden lushin', quaint, colorful, unique, full of character, laid back, relaxing, charming, historical, gorgeous, meditative, secluded B&B I've ever been to in Florida. I was born a travelin' Lady & have been all over the country, All over Europe & to most of the Carribean. This B&B is so Old School Keys. Gorgeous Decor EVERYWHERE inside & out every room. Amazing walkways & patios. Very Romantic. I came with just Me & My Yorkie, Sunny (we live in Boca Raton, FL). I must add that Ms. Thorn has placed locks on all the doors & everyone gets their own room key. Ms. Thorn is a lovely, old soul. Looking at her photos displayed in her home (the main house), I can tell she was an Islamorada Socialite back in her Prime. She is still a beautiful person, but she was a stunning Lady when she was younger. I love places w/ history, character & uniqueness. This place has all of the above & much more! The staff was amazing as well. Cindy was very pleasant & sweet. Jay (Thorn's Nurse) was nice enough to fill in for Cindy when needed. I'm a nurse, so from one nurse to another Nurse Jay went out of her way to make sure not only Thorn was being cared for, but Ms. Thorn's B&B as well. I recommend this Lovely B&B to EVERYONE! AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE STAYING HERE! I stayed in the Secret Garden because of the private patio. Gorgeous room & nice size private patio. Lots of Tibetian Budda statues & victorian decor. Love it! Love the waterfalls & ponds.

Unique Quality: Off the beaten Path....

Directions: Off US1 & Palm Lane, just south of Founder's Park.

More about Casa Thorn Bed & Breakfast

Give Casa Thorn a Try

by TripAdvisor Member cape_cod_mamma

Overall, I felt that this was a uniqe experience and good value for the money. We spent one whole afternoon/evening in Key West (about 2 hours from here) and I feel that we saved money by basing ourselves in Islamorada rather than KW.

We had two nights at Casa Thorn and we stayed in "Suite 3" on the ground floor near the pool.

I did freak slightly when I heard that there are no keys to that unit - you can't lock your room when you're not there. The only door is a sliding glass door. I got over it.

The bed is a "king" made of two twins with a bump in the middle. It was otherwise comfortable and the room is quite spacious. Bathroom is equipped with loads of towels and a nice skylight. Be sure you like mirrors if you're going to book this suite (enough said). There is a TV with a VCR. Thorn has a generous collection of tapes which she loans out for free. We couldn't resist borrowing "Key Largo."

Others have spoken of the interesting decor, which is very unique and unusual. All true.

One of the delights of Casa Thorn is that breakfast is served restaurant style to you on your patio. This is a treat that I have not experienced anywhere else. The food was hot and delicious. I recall french toast one day and omlette the other. The patio to Suite 3 is covered so one evening, even though it was raining, my husband and I had a nice relaxing glass of wine outside. The setting is lush, tropical, and quite private.

The proprietress is lovely and very helpful. Her name is Thorn. We also had "Ted" who is very pleasant and helpful with breakfast and various things. Thorn gave us a good recommendation for dinner. We wanted "outside" and she recommended Lorelei - a seafood/marina setting that fit our bill nicely. Thorn also gave us a pass to the local beach - it's somewhat small and shallow for swimming, but spotless and peaceful.

It was raining much of our time so we did not make use of the pool (quite small).

I should mention something about pets. I am an allergy sufferer and I always forget to ask about this. There are two resident pets, a dog and cat. I didn't go into the common area much because I hadn't thought to bring along my medicine. I should note that I did not have any problem at all in our unit with pet hair.

Given everything I now know, I would return. As we drove around Islamorada I didn't see anywhere else I would have preferred to stay.

Amazing, relaxing and beautiful...

by TripAdvisor Member travel_time83

My boyfriend and I visited Casa Thorn on our way to Key West. We had stayed in South Beach the night before and stopping at Casa Thorn in Islamorada turned out to be the highlight of our trip! The gardens are beautiful and the rooms are cozy. There is a nice pool to cool off in and lot’s of lounge chairs to tan on. Thorn Trainer our host was very friendly and welcoming. She recommended an amazing restaurant for dinner and it turned out to be the best place we ate our whole trip to Florida! (It’s called Morada Bay– they set up tables in the sand and you can watch the sunset while eating great food AND an amazing guitar player performed too!). We got back from our dinner and turned on a movie we had picked out to watch (Thorn has lot’s to choose from) and went to bed. In the morning we ate our breakfast (yummy banana pancakes) on our own private table right outside of our room. Thorn gave us lots of suggestions of where to eat and what to do and see. We then headed to Key West for two nights then back to Casa Thorn for two nights on our way to Miami. We absolutely love Thorn Trainer and all of the employees at Casa Thorn! It really is a great bed and breakfast –secluded and enchanting!

Unique

by TripAdvisor Member dillydally42

As other reviews proclaim, Casa Thorn is a lovely and private getaway with lush vegetation and hearty breakfasts. My companion enjoyed photographing the colorful frogs and lizards from our breakfast perch. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and filled our days and nights with activities, so we did not spend much time at Casa Thorn. Although our trip was pleasant, I would never return to a place where you are unable to lock your door. No matter how cosy and friendly a place might be, there is no excuse for this oversight as it is not a particularly expensive or complicated bit of repair work.

Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member smcosta

Casa Thorn is awesome and is the same price as other (nasty) hotels in the Keys. The breakfasts of bananna pancakes and french toast was just what we needed to start our days of exploring in the keys. Our favorite part was coming in at night and swimming in the pool and looking up at the stars. It was really romantic and a great place to get away from it all.

Secluded and Romantic

by TripAdvisor Member IslandersPalmIsland

Islamorada, FL Casa Thorn Bed and Breakfast "Absolutely Terrific!"
Date: October 5, 2007
Reviewer: Julie and Austin

We were here for an extended weekend. Very secluded and romantic. A great place to reconnect. Beautiful rooms, surrounded by breathtaking gardens and waterfalls. The breakfast's are delicious, served on your private patio with linen table cloths and china. The help are friendly and very eager to please. What a wonderful experience. We will definitely go back.

Here's the place to get away from reality!

by TripAdvisor Member bobandsally

I couldn't say enough about Casa Thorn! This was a wonderful place to stay. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Moroccan room and loved it. The room had a lot of personality and was very charming. We had wonderful linens, especially the sheets. I don't think I've ever slept so good. We initially were only going to stay two nights, but after 1 day we extended our stay. Having the small personal refrigerator was great, along with the wine glasses and such. The neighborhood was quaint and fun for a little walk and everything else was nearby. Breakfast was wonderful each morning, served directly outside of our room. It was very peaceful. One suggestion I can make is if you are in the Moroccan room, make sure the water is above ALL jets in the tub before you turn it on!!
Thorn was great at making recommendations for eating and entertainment. Her staff was very attentive. Her pets were very nice as well, I enjoyed eating breakfast with the cat on my lap!
I felt very safe staying here - there is a seperate entrance through the house that is locked if you feel the need, but we did not.
We were very sad to leave, and we will definitely be stopping at Casa Thorn in the future.

Warm, Friendly, Peaceful and Serene

by TripAdvisor Member Shekinahflame

This bed and breakfast is a perfect place for a peaceful and serene atmosphere. What makes it even more lovlier is the unique and unusual decor accompanied by superb service. The owner, Thorn Trainer, really knows what it takes to cater to her guests and she makes sure they have all their needs met. The complimentry full breakfast is a wonderful addition. Whereever you want it served, whether its poolside, in your room or at one of the beautiful quaint gardens on the grounds they are more than obliged to accomodate even as far as your choice of what you would like to eat. What thrilled me the most is the love of animals the owner has. I brought along my Chihuahua, ChiChi, and she couldn't have gotten a better reception. This is surely one of the warmest and friendliest bed and breakfast I have ever been to. If your wanting a little nitely excitement and music there are many restaurants and tiki bars in the area that have great music and dancing. By all means with this place you can have your cake and eat it too.

Mixed feelings...you should really read this before you stay there!

by TripAdvisor Member TuEresCherna

Let's see, where do I begin? I would have to say that this place has a lot of potential. The over all experience was kind of nice but there were some aspects about our stay there that really turned me off. One reviewer wrote that this place was probably really great 10 years ago. I would say that's a pretty accurate description. He also described it as being kind of creepy. I would also have to agree with that statement.

The over all concept was nice. A secluded hideout in a lush tropical setting. Unfortunately, due to the lack of upkeep and cleanliness, it just doesn't deliver. Everything just seemed to kind of half work. For example, there was a jacuzzi in the bathroom, but not enough hot water at any one time to fill it more than 1/3 of the way, so the baths were luke warm. Great big king size bed, but the sheets were old and worn thin and full of stains that looked like dried blood. Nice idea for a Moroccan themed room but the room was waaaay over decorated and many of the decorations were falling apart or inappropriate. For example, there are about 10 statues of indians having sex the bathroom. That's just weird!

All in all, unless they spent a good $50k to $100k renovating the place, I would not stay there again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

A couple of things I also wanted to mention was that there is no way to lock your room when you leave. You enter through a sliding glass door in the back yard. So, do not take anything you are not willing to leave in your room unlocked and unattended because there is no way to lock it. I accidently jammed the lock in our room while I was inside (which is the only time you can lock it). When I told the owner, she seemed upset that I had tried to lock it. She said, and I quote, "what do you want me to do? You shouldn't have locked it. Why would you lock your room, nobody is going to go in there". What kind of response is that? I don't know what planet she is from, but the one I live on, people need to lock there doors at all times.

Also, bring a couple of lanterns, because the room is really so dark that it's hard to see even with all the lights turned on.

I almost got the feeling the place was haunted. Very creepy place!

And finally, for those who complained that there were mosquitos outside in June, what the hell do you expect? You're on a mangrove covered tropical key in the middle of summer. That's not the owner's fault, that's yours for planning your trip to the Keys in the middle of summer.

Interesting B&B

by TripAdvisor Member dawnskipgilmore

Very eclectic place. We stayed in the Moroccan room & it was HUGE!! The pictures on the website really don't do the room justice. As a matter of fact, the description says it is a jacuzzi tub for two put the pics looks like a small tub. Well, the tub was FANTASTIC!! My husband is 6' tall and if he put his head down his feet barely touched the other side. It was unbelievably big. We had a fabulous time. The room is a great getaway if you want a romantic place for two to stay. AMAZING!!!!

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Die_Oinkis

Clean and nice decorated rooms, great appurtenant structures, Thorn and her team are helpful and quite nice, good and healthy breakfast, a great place to be-absolutely recommendable!

Parrot ShowParrot Show

Guide feeding sharksGuide feeding sharks

baracudabaracuda

windley key state parkwindley key state park

Matecumbe Resort (time share)

by Islands722

HI

I am heading to Islamorada for a week April 29th and staying at the Metacumbe Resort. Has anyone stayed there or has seen the resort? If so, is it pretty and can you swim on the beach, if there is one. The internet doesn't have many photo's of this resort. Thanks

by TheConchMan

I have replied to your post ~~ (:>)

by TheConchMan

I have replied to your post via E-Mail ~~ (:>)

by S-ARobbo

Hi - saw your question about Matecumbe Resort and wondered what replies you had, as I am also thinking about going there with my family. Could you let me know any feedback please?

Re: Matecumbe Resort (time share)

by sunnyday247

My husband and I have stayed there a few times and it is very nice. It is located in a great spot half way to key west and half way to miami, we love islamorada. All the rooms were very clean and updated. It is not a fancy resort but they have a really nice salt water pool. It has been a while since we were there, I hope nothing has changed. Wonderful memories. I remember going to the metacumbe in 1994, wow!

Comments