Pelican Cove Resort

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• stay adage

Pay heed to all the negative reviews as they are all true.We stayed here in May of 2012 and it was a disaster. The rooms are not as they appear in the pictures, and are filthy. The bug problems reported by others are severe....including bedbugs. Our first night had a drunken brawl next door to us...and they kept pounding on our wall. Someone (not us) callex the police and it all got worse. We were threatened and wound up going to sleep locked in our car. The next day twe asked to leave and management said theywould charge us for the whole week....but we could take it up with the general manager.....who was not in. When we left the office to return to our room, the thugs from next door cornered us to threaten us. We left. The hotel did run through the entire stay on my charge card......which i disputed and won. Now it is 3monthsa later and they took my charge card number and are using it all over the place! The card was canceled and am now dealing with the police. These people are low lifes. You may as well sleep on the streets of Brooklyn......you'd be safer.

• Roach infested!!!

My husband and I would personally recommend anyone considering to stay at Pelican Cove Resort to stay far away from this place!! We booked adjoining rooms with my parents for a ocean view, and when we arrived we had a marina view. The staff argued and told us that it was the ocean view. My parents stayed there last year in a ocean view room and knew better! So when we asked them to change it we were charged extra for the ocean view we thought we already paid for! They say they have a jacuzzi but the water was always colder than the pool itself! We also ran into trouble with our toilet when it would not flush and it took them forever to get maintinace to fix the problem! A few nights into our stay I was laying in bed when I saw a huge roach crawl out from underneath our bed! My husband killed it and we decided to let it slide! The following night while laying in bed my husband saw another roach crawl out from under the bed! This time he killed it and took it to the front desk, and confronted them. The staff then asked "what do you want us to do about it?". We demanded another room, and they said we had to have all of our stuff moved out so someone else could stay there the next night! Staff reported they didn't have other adjoining rooms for my parents. The morning we went to check out we complained about the upcharge we were given to switch rooms and asked them to remove it since we stayed in a room that was roach infested! They proceeded to tell us that since we used a coupon we already had 20% off! All they would do was offer a free night during our "next" stay! There is no way in hell that we would stay with them again!

• Great Place in Islamorada

Stayed there and had a great time. You can tell that money is put back in the place. Very clean and quiet. Next door is the "zoo". Holiday Isle. close enough to walk over and back. Theater of the Sea is next door. Staff is friendly and helpful. I hated to leave. Can't understand how the other bad comment could be so bad. I took and chance and LOVED IT!. I'll be back

Unique Quality: Ocean Front balcony super in the morning watching the sunrise.

Directions: 75 miles or south of Miami Airport

More about Pelican Cove Resort

Now that's customer service! NOT!

by TripAdvisor Member WeBulls

We’d like to take this opportunity to warn you about the PELICAN COVE RESORT. If you do stay there, and have any problems or complaints (and I’m quite sure you will), you will find management to be un-receptive (if they talk to you at all) and the front office staff to be unhelpful or down-right rude.

Upon arrival to PELICAN COVE RESORT on a Saturday afternoon we were told that we were a day late, and as a "no-show", would have to pay for the prior night. We told them that this was not correct and asked to speak to a manager. We were told that the manager would be out until Thursday and that the assistant manager was not available. When we finally spoke with him, he told us that they would not be able to refund us for this charge. He stated that it was our responsibility to verify the reservation and that the confirmation letter reflected the Friday arrival, not Saturday. I told him I did not recall receiving a confirmation letter but was told that “one is always sent”. (You will soon learn that PELICAN COVE RESORT is NEVER at fault!) Makes me wonder how often they do this to other "guests".

When we returned from or trip, we checked our records and are convinced, we never received a confirmation letter either by US Mail or e-mail. With several attempts to get a copy of the confirmation letter we were finally sent a “form letter” (via US mail) reflecting the dates they claim. This could have been created on any computer “after the fact”. The document was NOT an e-mail, and certainly not a copy of anything we had received. There was no indication as to where the confirmation letter was sent. After several weeks, this issue is still un-resolved. They did offer us a free night’s stay, which of course we refused. We would never return to PELICAN COVE RESORT, even if they offered us a free week!

Here’s a short list of what we experienced at PELICAN COVE RESORT:
--Front Office staff was very un-helpful and at times rude.
--Messages never seem to get to management, or management just ignores them.
--There was NO HOT water for the Jacuzzi/Whirlpool tub in our room. When "fixed" (the next day), water temp went through such extreme changes during showers as to make them quite uncomfortable. No adjustment was offered and upon request of such, they turned the blame on us for not being able to follow directions for the “On-Demand” water heating system.
--The Pool water was cloudy and the kids didn't want to use it.
--The SPA was closed with a note stating “Health reasons”!

I know... You can't please everyone... but it sure wouldn't hurt to try once in a while...

Noisy Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Rocklover

We recently stayed at Pelican Cove on a trip back from Key West. The room was clean and the balcony had a good view of the water (even on the first floor). If your not renting any watercraft while you are there you can still sit during the day and watch all of the activities. However, if you are looking for a peaceful place to sit by the water or a quiet environment to get a good nights' sleep - I wouldn't recommend it. We were kept awake by the noise from the pool and bar and then we were awakened at 4AM by people leaving. Also, the swimming area just off of the beach had quite a lot of trash floating in the seaweed.

Hated it

You would think that staying in a hotel in the Florida Keys would that protrays itself as a "Resort" would usually be more than acceptable. Well, that was not the case regarding our stay. When we arrived, aside from not being at all wowed by the accomodations in comparison to other "Resorts" we have stayed in in Islamorada, we experienced an array of disappointments. Starting with the fact that our room was in NO condition to accomodate guests, we were pretty much locked out of our room for an entire day of our 2 day stay as the "assistant manager" was trying to fix the problem. After expressing our concerns and our disappointment to the "assistant manager" after repeatedly trying to contact the actual "manager" of the so called "Resort" to no avail, we were not only told that we would recieve no form of refund, not even partial, they would just move us to another room. As this would probably be unacceptable to most vactioners, it got worse. We expressed our aggravation of not being able to use our room for an entire day...and were asked if we "come on vacation to sit in our room?" Not only rude but unprofessional. Then after a while of back and forth with still the assistant manger, we were told; "You want to leave? Leave, you have 30 minutes to get out." We were not charged for the 2nd night, that was a battle in intself, but we were also not given any form of compensation for the first miserable night we spent. Needless to say, I would not recommend this "Resort" to anyone.

Mediocre resort that could improve a little

I stayed at this hotel in June 2005. The check-in staff seemed surprisingly disinterested in greeting me; a welcoming smile and making me feel like my business was desired wouldn't have gone astray. The room was clean and ready on time - no complaints there. The hotel backs up to a marina which has power boats & jetskis coming and going constantly. A helicopter sightseeing tour run from the bar next door shatters the peace and quiet on a regular basis.

The swimming area and beach were fine in themselves (the swings on the beach are a nice touch), although one half of the swimming area had lots of trash floating amongst the seaweed. That totally put me off swimming; please clean your beach Pelican Cove!!!

The bar area was very noisy late into the evening. I ended up having to close my patio door to keep the noise out, which I think somewhat defeats the point of getting an ocean view room!

For the money, you might be able to find better in the upper Keys (maybe), but all in all it wasn't too bad. Would I stay there again? No, but the rooms were clean and for a short stay it's okay.

Scumbags!!!!! Do not stay at this hotel!!!

The Pelican Cove almost ruined my vacation. You think if you pay someone $200 per night they would treat you with an ounce of respect. This has to be the most poorly managed hotel in the Keys. I read the other negative reviews on this site a day before our trip was to start. Rather than lose our deposit we thought we would give it a shot..."how bad could it be, your in the keys?" If I could do it over again I would have paid double the deposit just not to have ever met the sickening people that work at this hotel. The front desk of Pelican Cove is the biggest group of low lifes I have ever met. Every time I went to the front desk to complain about something else, I had to wait in line behind other complainers. Then they scream at you to get out of the office or they will evict you for complaining. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL, TELL ANYONE YOU KNOW GOING TO THE KEYS TO AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE. If this post is followed by a very positive one, I gaurantee without any doubt, it is one of the low lifes who works there.

Most Disgusting Motel

by TripAdvisor Member avacationlover1

This motel is filthy with very misleading pictures of the "beach" and the rooms. The management is rude and even threatening. I am surprised they are even in business. I see the other bad reviews as well and I ask them that if they are reading this to please please please complain to the Better Business Bureau immediately.
These people stole my money and gave me disgusting accomodations and even threatened me. They should not be in business. Period.
If you are reading this, please do not ruin your vacation by staying at this
nightmare motel.

Want to have a fun and relaxing vacation....Do Not Stay Here!!!

Heed all the advice of the bad reviews...DO NOT STAY at this so-called "resort". Me and my buddies stayed there for a friends wedding and it was an absolute NIGHTMARE. My truck and a friends truck were towed EVEN after asking the lady at the front desk (the one with the froggy voice) if our vehicles would be safe where they were parked and she told us 'Yes'. That cost $270 each and on top of that, the tow company broke my tail light (an additional $40 to replace) AND put scratches all over the truck. When we confronted the lady at the front desk, she got all defensive (an obvious sign of knowing she was in the wrong) and threatened us that if we did not leave the front office...that she would call the cops and have us removed. It seems that from this situation and reading other reviews, that the people working the front desk are quite malicious. And possibly working with the tow company to cheat their own customers. I would agree with the review titled "Scumbags!!!!! Do not stay at this hotel!!!", the positive reviews MUST be from people who work there. I can't imagine anyone having an enjoyable experience at this place.

The Best Weekend Ever!!!!!

My boyfriend and I just stayed there in September 2005, and had an amazing time. We had a nice room with an awsome view of the marina and ocean. It was very clean, everytime we left our room in the morning and returned in the afternoon we came back to a clean room and nothing missing. We arrived late Friday night in our work clothes and they were very welcoming to us, they made us feel relaxed and comfortable. My boyfriend had also brought his boat to the hotel and they provided dock space with a ramp and a secure storge fecility. My boyfriend and his family have been staying at this hotel for 15 years and now our family will too. PELICAN'S COVE IS A GREAT HOTEL TO STAY AT!!!!!!!!!!

Great Location, Management Stinks

Beautiful location but management was very poor. The hot tub water was very dirty when we arrived and pool was cloudy. Service shocked them the next day and then water was good for several days. The water got progressively worse each day until the Hot Tub was unsafe to use and pool was pretty nasty too. It appears the pools service only came once the whole week!
We had to be at the continental breakfast as soon as it opened or the food was gone! They consistently ran out of pool towels. We also saw a couple wait over an hour for their lunch. There is no excuse for the lousy level of service. The maids were stressed out because they were overworked. They argued with each other. It's too bad because facility and location are very nice.

Comments