Crowne Plaza Hotel Jacksonville Riverfront

1201 Riverplace Boulevard, (formerly Hilton), Jacksonville, Florida, 32207, United States

Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel
CrownePlaza.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Worst Crowne Plaza I have ever stayed at

The hotel is old and filthy. The room and bathroom were tiny. The vanity was so small you have to put your things on the ground. The wall paper was peeling off the walls. There were also bums living in the hotel parking garage. The furniture was from the 80's. The carpet was filthy and the drapes had holes in them. I would not stay at this hotel if you are looking for a 3.5 star hotel. You are better off going to a lower grade hotel. I read bad reviews before I stayed there and thought people were just being picky. They were actually being too nice in the reviews. Stay at the Omni Or Hyatt across the river. This hotel needs to be shut down and totally made over.

• HumblyServingChrist's Profile Photo

Best views of the downtown riverfront skyline!

Unique Quality: While not as glitzy as the Hyatt across the river, the Crowne Plaza is a long-time fixture along the city's Southbank (although it used to be a Hilton). While the hotel was completely renovated several years back the original Hilton that occupied this building served as the Jacksonville home of Elvis Presley when he would stop in for concerts. (Useless trivia: I believe that Elvis' first ever major concert anywhere was held at the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville).

Anyway, history aside, today's Crowne Plaza is located right on the Southbank Riverwalk with an elevated pool deck and private balconies that overlook the river and provide the best skyline views of any downtown hotel.

Hungry? Bring your appetite (and wallet) as one of the city's Ruth's Chris Steakhouse locations is located inside the hotel with windows overlooking the river and skyline.

The hotel also has its own luxury yacht, the Jacksonville Princess, which offers romantic dinner and river cruises. In addition, it is a short walk from the water taxi, museums, restaurants, the monorail and the Landing.

Directions: Southbank Riverwalk, Downtown

More about Crowne Plaza Hotel Jacksonville Riverfront

night view on the front

by TripAdvisor Member 5144

The night view from the room is a refelection that will be ....always. This motel seem's to say Grand Motel with a grand experince. Everyone is at your becon call. The beds are beyond your comfort zone. The bridges, buildings and habour are lit at night just for you. The motel yacht parked out back say's we have it , if you desire it. jr.

Nice stay at the Crowne Plaza

by TripAdvisor Member EElabu

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Jacksonville for a conference in December, 2006 for 3 days.

Check-in was no problem. The desk clerks were pleasant and professional. My room was on the 10th floor overlooking downtown on the river side. It appears that all rooms have a balcony, which we really enjoyed.

The rooms were large, clean, and comfortable with "sleep amenities" on the bed...sleep cd, night light, eye mask, lavender spray, ect. which are all nice touches. My king bed was a Tempur Pedic, memory foam mattress, and it was by far the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.

The hotel has a large fitness center, adequate business center, gift shop, a Ruth's Chris Steak House, an American Grille, Starbucks, a lobby bar, and room service. The pool overlooks the river and downtown and has stairs that lead down to the Riverwalk. Parking isn't a problem...valet or self parking in a garage.

The banquet/conference rooms were all of good size and lighting and look to be upgraded. Each meeting went successfully and didn't seem to have any problems.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Crowne Plaza and would look in to staying here again.

NOT the best property in Jacksonville

by TripAdvisor Member annreview

Although I do not think this property is awful, I certainly would not give it the perfect rating that I see so many times before. This hotel overall is very average. This property was previously a Hilton until the Crowne Plaza took it over in April 2006 and I believe they still may be in a “transition period’. The inconsistency in the service levels at this hotel is troublesome. It was from one extreme to the other in regards to helpfulness and hospitableness.

To begin, their staff is seriously lacking in the service area. The first night we arrived, it was late and we wanted a bite to eat so we headed to the hotel / lobby bar and lounge. It is literally about the size of my pinky finger with hardly anywhere to sit or stand for that matter. There was an employee who had clearly just gotten off work and was now sitting at the bar, still in partial uniform. Not only would he not allow us to squeeze up to the bar to order a cocktail and some dinner, he continued to ask people to move out of his way. Apparently we were not giving him enough room at the bar! How incredible that a hotel employee won't allow a hotel guest to even get to the bar to order a drink, as if his after work drink "that he had been waiting for all night" was more important than the needs of a paying hotel guest. I was appalled.

The front desk staff was absolutely a disappointment at this property. Multiple times I called the front desk to reach a guest and was either put on hold for several minutes or was disconnected a number of times. This was most likely due to the fact that the hotel seemed under-staffed or that the hotel does not have a main switchboard. When you call the direct line, it rings straight to the front desk and seems to overwhelm the staff there. There were times I would be standing at the front desk only to watch the agents continuously let the phone ring as they were too busy and overwhelmed to pick it up.

The guest rooms are average however I will mention the beds were wonderfully comfortable. The view (at least the riverfront rooms) from the rooms was wonderful and overlooked the St. John’s River and the downtown area of Jacksonville. There was a water taxi conveniently located right in front of the hotel for a fare of $5.00 roundtrip.

Would I stay here again? Only if there were no other options available.

Nice Location

by TripAdvisor Member FamilyTravelerRI

I had a conference in this hotel during the first week of February and stayed on site. It was a good location to be able to fly in and basically just stay in the area without a car. $35 gets you from the airport to the hotel in a taxi. Accomidations were good. I had no complaints. Very nice foam mattress style bed. Balcony in every room as far as I know. The view at night was cool. I was on the 9th floor. The bridge was very pretty along with the skyline. Obviously it is not a big city view.

The immediate area has some nice options for dinner. There is a water taxi at the back of the property that will take you across the river (and back) to Jacksonville Landing for $5. It is a good night club / dinner place. The shops are pitiful. On site is a little bar / food/grill place and also a Ruth Chris Steakhouse.

They say there is a Starbucks on site but it appears to not actually be a Sstarbucks but rather a place that went to the supermarket and bought Starbucks coffee. They don't have Tazo Tea. Not an issue, it is just if you are a Starbucks, you should be serving Tazo brand tea and not some other brand.

My best identified use for this hotel would be NFL football weekends. The Jags stadium is across the river and the water taxi can take you there. And as mentioned above, Jacksonville Landing is your hangout for some good dinner/drinks/laughs before or after the game. For this activity, it is set up to be an A+++. Keep in mind I was here for a conference and not a football game.

You are paying for the view. Very small room.

by TripAdvisor Member caps47

We were traveling for two weeks celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary. We stayed here three nights for the price of $270.00 per
night which was supposed to be a great rate that was booked several months in advance. This room was $100.00 more per night than any other hotel that we stayed at and it was the worst. The rooms are tiny. The bathroom is the smallest that I have ever seen. One reason we booked here was the no smoking policy. You also have to sign a statement when you check in that says you will be fined $200.00 if caught smoking in or around the hotel. We got to our room and my husband opened the sliding doors and the cigarette smoke was awful. Apparently the employees were below our deck smoking. Also the internet rate for this hotel the week that we were there was posted for $179.00. I called and complained and was told that we could move across the water to the Omni. We were already unpacked and tired so we did not. They would not reduce my rate and said that all of the bathrooms are tiny. The only good things were the bed, it was comfortable and the view is very nice. This hotel would be fine for a single person traveling but not for more than one person. There is a coffee pot but no place to plug it in so my husband went down stairs and paid $3.00 for a cup of coffee. Electrical plugs are at a bare minimum. We had trouble finding one to plug our phone chargers in and had to use the bathroom plug. Old hotel and not real clean. Very overpriced.

OK

by TripAdvisor Member KurtHa

This is an ok hotel in the center of Jacksonville. The rooms have the standard amenities one would expect from a large chain hotel in the price category. The bed is comfortable, but not up to a new Marriot bed. The view of the river and the Jacksonville landing is quite nice and having a small balcony counts as one of the positives for this hotel.
On the negative, the hotel does not have any good sound insulation, so you can hear the roadnoise and are privileged to share in your neighbors balcony conversations (any time, day or night). The AC units in this hotel appear somewhat outdated. I would compare their initial noise to that of a truck starting its engine. Not very condusive to a great night's sleep.
Would I stay here again? Not for the $200 my company paid for this trip, maybe as a $40-50 priceline bid.

P.S. Lots of parking available for $10/night.

Beautiful view, great location!

by TripAdvisor Member Barneslover

My husband and I stayed here Friday May 11 and Saturday May 12. We booked the room using Priceline. We were in town for the weekend to attend the TPC at Sawgrass. We checked in around 5:00 PM on Friday afternoon and there was no line at the check-in counter. My husband asked if we could have a water view and the friendly lady at the check-in counter put us in a room on the 8th floor. Our sliding glass
door opened to a wonderful river view. There are no chairs on the balcony but we wheeled the desk chair out and enjoyed watching the sun set. The room was very clean. We had two double beds. The bathroom is a bit small but we are not large people so it didn't matter to us. The coffee pot is on a small tray that you can pick up and move over to the desk so that you can use the plug on the desk lamp when you are ready to make a pot of coffee in the morning. You can also use this plug to charge your phone.

We went to Ruth's Chris for dinner on our first night and enjoyed a meal in the lounge. The timing couldn't have been better because we were able to view the special fireworks that evening. Service was very good and the meal was worth every penny.

We felt the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was in a great location for us and we were able to hop on I-95 within
minutes in order to drive to the golf tournament. At night we enjoyed
spending time on the balcony admiring the city lights. Unfortunately,
Maxwell House does not smell as good wafting across the river from their plant as it does when you first open a can! :)

Saturday night we ordered room service and we really enjoyed the food. The person who took our order was very friendly. We got the buffalo wings (hot - and they were nice and hot!) and we each got a burger with fries. We should have split a burger. They were HUGE and cooked as ordered and very juicy and tasty. We thought this was a bargain meal because the serving size was substantial and the quality was superb.

Is this a luxury hotel? No. But it is comfortable, easy to reach, staffed by competent and friendly people and you won't go hungry if you eat on site.

Nice view

by TripAdvisor Member travelseverywhere

Nice hotel and facilities for large group meetings.
Service was good overall. Housekeeping was helpful. They didn't have enough servers at our group's dinner banquet. So the service was poor at that. However, service was excellent at our group's breakfast banquet. Otherwise, good stay, good hotel. Nice view of the river and city from the room. Nice river walk below the hotel. If traveling with children: guests should be aware that the balcony sliding doors are NOT child proof. Also be aware if you have children that some of the t.v. stations offered have inappropriate content and shows in the late evening and night. No free continental breakfast. Has upscale restaurant dining downstairs. Also, the 10th floor is like a "V.I.P." floor. Overall our stay was nice.

Comments